GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best value - DW or PSS

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
I keep glancing at 200tw tires, but kind of made the decision that I will have to prove that I have leveled up before going that route. Seemed that PSS was the tire to get if I had to get a jack of all trades tire for daily plus track plus all the other reasons people buy tires.

If I Daily drive like a sane and normal driver (didnt track) 200tw tires like re-11s... how many miles do they last? Ballpark? PSS /DW I would expect 20-30k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
Noted on re-11s. Thanks for the heads up. Looked into them a bit and added them to the list. They weren't on it before.

Re: wheels. I'm stubbornly sticking to 8.5 width. Part aesthetics to avoid spacers and partly because that's what I was taught works from a handling perspective so I have this bias about not putting a wide tire on a narrow wheel. There's a lot of debate on that topic and I've researched and asked people to death. But That's another topic...

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Re11 is heavy and low tw, not for dd

When have you last ran them? RE-11's are the most civil and tend to wear best out of all 200TW tires. Lookup reviews, plenty of people are pulling 15-20K from them while being MUCH more capable than DW/PSS's.

Also just a heads up, this notion of "saving weight" on wheels and tires doesn't really hold up the the real world. There was a big thread in the Miata world with a shop doing research on weight savings. They found that even losing 5 pounds per corner in wheel and tire weight (Same tire/wheel sizes and specs), proved no difference in track times at all. It's great in concept and on paper, but you are not going to see a difference on street or the track.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Ok, I gotcha.
I definately consider what others say.
My experience going lighter was night and day.
I've never tracked and probably never will.

18 to 19 is a costly jump for wheels and tires.
One reason I did not do it and pot holes are the second.
Look at the new Firestone Indy 500 summer tire.
Lower cost and looks much like a Bridgestone RE-11.
Might be worth a test. A few have run them and had good words.
DW's are the WAY better value.

Both are bad track tires.

Don't get 19's haha.
I fully agree on this.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Re11 is heavy and low tw, not for dd

Love mine.
Best DD tire I have had.
Drove all summer with little wear. But I do not drive like a mad man.
Great so far in rain.
Holds perfect in turns with solid side wall.

With lighter weight also consider how you do that in a tire.
Either removed belts or go with smaller gauge wire but maybe as strong.
Reduce gauge in tread face or sidewall.
Lighter weight benefits manufacturer most as they are selling tire with less
material used.

Good point, since all true R-comps, which have much stiffer sidewalls,
are heavier than common street tires.
On the other hand, it's more expensive to make a lighter tire of the
same stiffness, since more expensive materials (kevlar/aramid instead
of steel) must be used.

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
I'm not one to be picky based on tire weight. Wheel weight though --- I would prefer to keep that down.

Thanks for all the help. You have officially made it a tougher call. Now I will cross shop DW, PSS, and RE-11.

You guys also convinced me to stay away from 19s. Will just keep the 18s I have for now. And save up for some enkei racing revolution wheels (18s).

New plan is to wait to mess with wheels until current s001s wear out or I get the coilovers installed. (If coilovers make ride too stiff, I'll just go DW - if not maybe re-11s).

Panzrwagn

Good point, since all true R-comps, which have much stiffer sidewalls,
are heavier than common street tires.
On the other hand, it's more expensive to make a lighter tire of the
same stiffness, since more expensive materials (kevlar/aramid instead
of steel) must be used.

Not true - most R-Comps are around 20-21lbs, 3-4 lbs lighter than a 200-rated street tire, like an RE-71 23-24 lbs. Most of that comes from the lack of tread: 5-6mm vs 10mm thickness.