GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Seal...

Lewis2

:mad:

At first I thought the below seal had perished. But it actually looks like it has been eaten by a squirrel or some other rodent.

I've taken it to two VW garages for quotes.. £1,500..!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

£600 for the whole sunroof as the seal is embedded and 8 hours of labour.

Any advice or similar problems?

Attachments

• IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,962

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They made the rodent claim or you did? I'm guessing it's out of warranty?

You can fill that part of the seal with RTV, just make sure it's rated for contact with rubber and allow it to cure properly (usually at least 24 hours) or you'll have one hell of a mess.

Wouldn't usually be my recommendation but that's a stupid big bill/job for such a little problem

Lewis2

They did, although I tend to agree as the rest of the seal is intact with no signs of wear.

I think that will be the route I need to take, ugly fix though!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think sunroof leaks are pretty common on mk7, but I don't personally have one so idk.

If you do go the RTV route mask off the area and make sure you don't get it on anything you don't want it on. If you're careful you can make it pretty unnoticeable.

I don't have any pictures handy but in aviation sometimes they'll write an engineering authorization for us to fill seals with RTV as a repair. It can be applied uniformly and last a very long time, especially in a non high temp situation like your sun roof