GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Backfire under full throttle then EPC light -16' GTI

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Lol he could have bought new stock coils with the same effect. Jeez. They’re just ignition coils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
So I went to my old mechanic today and he pulled a few codes and one of them was the cylinder 2 misfire code, the other one was a “hide cylinder” code (excessive misfire). There was also a P0441 code, in which he says I should take it to the dealer because it’ll cost me a lot in the long run along with the misfire code and that it’ll give me a problem when inspection time comes around. He says New Jersey inspection will find the code and won’t pass the car. By the way, that is the “Evap Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow” code.

So that being said, I went to the dealership right after the lady there says “for the P0441 code, it might’ve been a loose gas cap or an N80 valve.” I also told them about the misfire code and explained the whole backfire-EPC light situation she said “it could be that the software of the ECM is outdated and it just needs an update. But we can’t say anything for sure until we look at it.” She asked me if I had any mods and I said “intake”. But I have a bov, turbo muffler delete and a straight pipe as well.

When I told them that I had my mechanic scan the car and pulled the codes they were somewhat shocked. In the corner of my eye, I saw the lady give another employee (who might’ve been a service tech) “the look”.
Ya know...... The “This-guy-definitely-has-tuner-fast&furious-boyracer-mods. Lets-void-the-****-out-of-his warranty-and-blame-the-misfire-on-his-intake” look. I felt like I was in an interrogation scene and I unknowingly spilt self-incriminating evidence to the detectives. But these weren’t detectives, they were service consultants.

So anyway, appointments made for Monday. Today is the only day in my life I will say I can’t wait until Monday. I guess it feels good not having to pay out of pocket for this. Damn diagnostics without warranty was $125.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
LOL this happen to my car when I accidentally pumped 110 octane leaded race gas.......

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I just got a call from the dealer and they said that “its a sporadic misfire” so its not always on.

Get ready for this......

The tech is blaming my intake.

So I explained to them that it happened when the car was bone stock at 1200 miles. They said they’ll take it for a test drive later today. I told em I will go in there and recreate the issue with the tech on a test drive tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted.

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
Didn't everyone tell you to remove your intake? We aren't surprised the dealer is trying to blame that.

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I’ve had locals tell me that they were somewhat mod friendly. So I might try a different dealer if they don’t agree to fix the misfire

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Didn't everyone tell you to remove your intake? We aren't surprised the dealer is trying to blame that.

Yes, exhibit A:
1. Take off BOV. Drive it and try to reproduce misfires.
2. If that doesn't work then take off the intake and put it back to stock. Drive it and try to reproduce misfires.

At that point you should hit up the dealer. There shouldn't be any issue with the exhaust mods if they are mod friendly.

And B:
They're probably going to blame your aftermarket stuff before blaming it on an OEM part. I would still put stuff back to stock first.

Mike, we're not telling you this to blow smoke out our asses my friend. Most of us have had our fair share of "mod friendly" dealer visits, and are telling you from experience.

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
Ok thanks I should have known better than to go in with the intake on. I’m going to tell the tech that the problem occured when the car was bone stock with 1200 miles, And then try to recreate the problem with him in the car. If that doesn’t work I will either take the intake off and go to another dealer or I will just buy the ignition coil and swap it myself. Uber’ing around hurts my wallet.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
lol he's not getting paid so he's blamming the intake to get the car off his hands. VWoA check out my signature... this car has been a great lease thanks!

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I just went to the dealer and talked to the service tech and he said he’s going to swap the coils and if that doesn’t work he said he’s calling VW of America and he’s sending them datalogs of the car also to make sure it isnt tuned, but I didnt tune it. Apparently they might put a red flag on my car saying its modified so it’ll void my warranty. Im 99% sure its the ignition coil. They wanted my stock airbox back to see if it was the intake so I brought it back to them. Lets see what happens next

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I just went to the dealer and talked to the service tech and he said he’s going to swap the coils and if that doesn’t work he said he’s calling VW of America and he’s sending them datalogs of the car also to make sure it isnt tuned, but I didnt tune it. Apparently they might put a red flag on my car saying its modified so it’ll void my warranty. Im 99% sure its the ignition coil. They wanted my stock airbox back to see if it was the intake so I brought it back to them. Lets see what happens next

Just saw your list of mods on the first page after reading the latest posts...
-SwoopsBuilt Custom fabricated velocity stack intake
-Turbosmart 50/50 recirc bov
-CTS Turbo muffler delete
-Straight pipe

I can certainly see why they would think you tuned it;) Good luck!