GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key fob battery

dragoncoach

Ready to race!
Scored 20 Panasonic CR2025 from amazon prime for $7.99 (.40 each). So, if the batteries in the remote keep dying out every 6 months, I'm ready. They also fit my MB remote.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My MKIV key fob lasted 7-ish years before I had to change. I know it's not as sophisticated, but 7 years compared to 1?!?

You answered your own question - "not as sophisticated" is an understatement. And your Mk4 was a dog with fleas compared to the Mk7.

A $3 battery replacement oonce a year or so probably won't break you.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

EXEA189

Ready to race!
2032 is the same diameter but about 50% thicker.

You can squeeze it in, I just installed one.

Just confirming that the CR2032 fits in there diameter-wise. It is thicker so you have to push down on the cover while closing. The 2032 is 225mAh while the 2025 is 163mAh, so you're going to get maybe about 30% more life with the 2032. Anyone else have experience with CR2032 lasting longer?

My original CR2025 lasted just about a year until the low battery warning appeared.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Anyone else have experience with CR2032 lasting longer?

My original CR2025 lasted just about a year until the low battery warning appeared.

No experience, but it definitely will last longer. It has a larger capacity, thats simple science.

My 2025s both just told me to replace after 11-12 months of ownership.

I tend to split key use about 60/40, where I have the one on my work keyring and then just a solo key at home I use after work and for errands/weekends.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
You answered your own question - "not as sophisticated" is an understatement. And your Mk4 was a dog with fleas compared to the Mk7.

A $3 battery replacement oonce a year or so probably won't break you.

I didn't realize I asked a question. My wife's car has a similar keyless system to the MK7 and the battery is going on well over 2 years. No amount of snarky remarks can make the shortlived keyfob battery any less disappointing. :rolleyes:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I didn't realize I asked a question. My wife's car has a similar keyless system to the MK7 and the battery is going on well over 2 years. No amount of snarky remarks can make the shortlived keyfob battery any less disappointing. :rolleyes:

You did ask a question. "I know it's not as sophisticated, but 7 years compared to 1?!?"

Sorry you find that 1 year of battery life is "disappointing". Seems like such an extremely minor inconvenience when it's time to deal with it.

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
How many of you folks with early dying keyfobs keep the key fairly close to the vehicle when not in use?
I do...park the car in a lot in ny so they often leave key in the car. I just keep extra batteries handy, wondering if my new batteries will last longer than original batteries though- which lasted a little over a year.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't even been opened to the public yet, but theres a TSB for most mk7 keys, more so with KESSY. Bring your car to the dealer, your car has to have the 'key battery low' warning on. There's an internal malfunction of the key which makes it send a false warning to the cluster. When I work next, I can post a picture on our tech bulletin board for TSB's. I'm actually shocked nobody had mentioned this. Oh and the TSB is to replace the key. Only one at a time, so I'd use the new key as the spare, and the old spare key as the main key until it triggers the warning, then get the replaced when it goes bad and BAM, two new keys.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't even been opened to the public yet, but theres a TSB for most mk7 keys, more so with KESSY. Bring your car to the dealer, your car has to have the 'key battery low' warning on. There's an internal malfunction of the key which makes it send a false warning to the cluster. When I work next, I can post a picture on our tech bulletin board for TSB's. I'm actually shocked nobody had mentioned this. Oh and the TSB is to replace the key. Only one at a time, so I'd use the new key as the spare, and the old spare key as the main key until it triggers the warning, then get the replaced when it goes bad and BAM, two new keys.

Just got my replace key fob batts notification on the dash screen last night.

Do you have the TSB number?