GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a DIY fix for the rattling sunroof?

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
I'm definitely having rattling where the sunroof is on the car and barely had the car for 6 weeks lol..

Mine started right away. My experience with dealers and chasing problems like this are best left to myself. I had a similar issue with a Subaru. Multiple visits equaled nothing but a waste of time. I found it myself later. Plastic trim on the back hatch was barely rubbing on the paint. Put something in between it and it was gone.

alderran1

Ready to race!
I have a rattle from my sunrooof mostly when its closed, is there a DIY on how to adjust and fix the problem?

It appear my sunroof is a bit "tucked in" on the forward part from the factory...

So any pointers are welcome.

Thanks!
JC

My car has been in the shop 6 times and they have only succeeded in making it worse. The roof now also rattles when it's open. I don't think it did that before. This is a very common problem and it is a design flaw in this vehicle. There is a TSB and it did nothing. The dealer even worked with an engineer from VW. That time it was fixed for a while, but I noticed the roof is slightly up now. Anyway the noise has come back and it will probably start leaking soon. I would suggest leaving well enough alone.

alderran1

Ready to race!
I think there's a TSB on rattling sunroofs. You should take it in.

If there's more of a creak than a rattle, it's probably lack of lube on the rear main sunroof seal. We had an issue with my wife's 15 and have had no further issue after having the main seal lubed at the dealership.

When was it lubed? The dealer did this to mine and it only got rid of the sound for a month or two. Keep in mind at least on mine it's only when it's dark or raining and the temperature is in the 40's or lower. The colder it is the louder the noise. Mine has been to the dealer many times and they even worked with VW engineers, but no resolution. They have actually only succeeded in making it worse.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
This shit is so annoying makes me feel like the build quality is cheap when I hear this.

Im going to take it to the dealer this week hopefully they can get it fixed :/

BanjoFood

Passed Driver's Ed
Took mine in a few weeks ago and there was a recall or whatever on the sunroof frame I think. Something about prone to leaks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

alderran1

Ready to race!
This shit is so annoying makes me feel like the build quality is cheap when I hear this.

Im going to take it to the dealer this week hopefully they can get it fixed :/

Good luck but if they make it worse don’t forget that I told you so

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
Sat in a 17 Sport and an SE today, mainly to see what it felt like with /without the sunroof. Have always bought cars with sunroofs, would bum me out not to have one.

The dilemma is that the 18 SE has the roof, not optional. If I don't want an S, then I need to buy a 17 Sport to skip the roof. Not hard to find, but they feel somber inside even with the plaid fabric.

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same issue. Dealership couldn't resolve the issue after repeated visits, ultimately stating it was due to my lowered suspension and refusing to help further.

What worked for me is gummi pfledging the sunroof AND all the rubber insulation along the doors openings. Applied silicone lube in between the felt portions on door themselves. All rattles are gone!

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Sat in a 17 Sport and an SE today, mainly to see what it felt like with /without the sunroof. Have always bought cars with sunroofs, would bum me out not to have one.

The dilemma is that the 18 SE has the roof, not optional. If I don't want an S, then I need to buy a 17 Sport to skip the roof. Not hard to find, but they feel somber inside even with the plaid fabric.

You mean 17 SE? I thought leather and roofs became configurable on 18s.

Mugzy

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally fixed it. Took two strips of the fuzzy Velcro and stuck it on opposite sides of the plastic with the felt in the middle. I could see that there was rub on the plastic shade cover from the rubber seal looking piece attached to the bottom of the glass. Placed a Velcro piece there and the opposite side. No more squeaking. Got the idea from another post dealing with this issue, but can't remember from where I saw it.

Any chance you could get some pics of this fix? Got my GTI on Monday and it is already doing it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
As I mentioned above I would use silicone lubricant we did that with my wife's car picture to Bob and have not had any issue in almost 2 years if you do that and still have a rattle it's time to go to the dealer

Which one? I bought a can of WD-40 Silicone lubricant. Think it will work for rubber squeaks?

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Any chance you could get some pics of this fix? Got my GTI on Monday and it is already doing it.

The picture is very blurry, but you can kind of see the fuzzy Velcro strip. If you pop the back of the sunroof open instead of opening it all the way, look from the back in the middle going forward. You will see the factory felt strip just past a valley that stretches from left to right. It is all made of plastic and that is what was making noise on my car. I added two 2-3" fuzzy side Velcro strips on both sides of the factory piece. I placed them midway from the factory felt strip and the end towards the doors. I placed them just as the factory piece is placed, over the "corner". I have it circled in the photo. This one is left of the factory center piece. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,697