GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 gti revs dropping in 6th gear?

Aruomg

Hello I drive a mk7 manual gti. I noticed yesterday when I was in 6th tear at 45 mph the revs would suddenly drop (no more then 300 rpm) and the car would have a small jerk. It didn’t last long but I’ve been afraid to drive it since. Is it an early indication of tranny problems? As I am tuned stage 1

Aruomg

I never do the car prompts me to shift into sixth at approx 43 mph I always drop to at least 4th before accelerating. Thanks for the reply

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe not if ASR/TC is on? No idea, just throwing it out there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
I never do the car prompts me to shift into sixth at approx 43 mph I always drop to at least 4th before accelerating. Thanks for the reply

Just because it prompts you to shift to 6th doesn't mean that you have to. It prompts that for the best fuel mileage, but I rarely listen to it honestly. If I'm going under 50, generally i leave it in 5th. It's still an overdrive gear if I'm not mistaken. Going into 6th at 43...it would work great on a completely flat or downhill surface, but any little hill and you are giving it some gas, and remember, torque is what kills clutches and torque kicks in low on these cars.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
45mph is extremely low for 6th gear, you should be in 5th unless you are coasting down a hill. The prompt is only there for best mpgs, its not the rule and in most cases ignored. Any power in 6th gear at <50mph puts unnecessary stress on the drivetrain and your engines main bearings. That would include trying to remain at 43mph in 6th on a slight incline. Anything less than a cruising speed of 55mph I drop to 5th gear. You do it for the same reason you don't try to do a full throttle pull in 6th from 60mph. Yes, an auto probably would shift into 6th at 43mph, but you'd then soon see it downshift to 5th after you apply some power. On hilly roads around where I live, this aspect of autos drive me nuts...constant never ending shifting, ultimately hurting mpgs and making me mad!

dub_guy

Ready to race!
I drove the MK6 TDI for the last number of years and even it wasn't as aggressive on the up-shift indications as the MK7.

I try to stick to the old motto - low load, low rpm, high load, high rpm.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
45mph is extremely low for 6th gear, you should be in 5th unless you are coasting down a hill. The prompt is only there for best mpgs, its not the rule and in most cases ignored. Any power in 6th gear at <50mph puts unnecessary stress on the drivetrain and your engines main bearings. That would include trying to remain at 43mph in 6th on a slight incline. Anything less than a cruising speed of 55mph I drop to 5th gear. You do it for the same reason you don't try to do a full throttle pull in 6th from 60mph. Yes, an auto probably would shift into 6th at 43mph, but you'd then soon see it downshift to 5th after you apply some power. On hilly roads around where I live, this aspect of autos drive me nuts...constant never ending shifting, ultimately hurting mpgs and making me mad!

Uphill at 43 mph my tiptronic is usually in 4th gear

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
Just because it prompts you to shift to 6th doesn't mean that you have to. It prompts that for the best fuel mileage, but I rarely listen to it honestly. If I'm going under 50, generally i leave it in 5th. It's still an overdrive gear if I'm not mistaken. Going into 6th at 43...it would work great on a completely flat or downhill surface, but any little hill and you are giving it some gas, and remember, torque is what kills clutches and torque kicks in low on these cars.

Lol...echo?