GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking sound

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Shipping pucks removed from suspension? Just had a local guy with a 2017 Sport tell me this happened to him after taking delivery. Worth a check!

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back from the dealer. The sound was there for them to hear. They would like it Thursday for the day as they couldn’t find any “easy” fixes today. They are thinking bushings but will know more on Thursday when they get more into it.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the driver side axle replaced today. Noise persisted.

Tech thought noise could be coming from the dif, but vw regional tech is going to visit the car tomorrow or Friday. According to the service manager, vw has not had this issue previously.
I’m trying to be understanding and calm, but I’m anxious to have this problem fixed and have the new ride back. Obviously I’m not completely happy to have a car with 1500 miles disassembled and reassembled so much. But at this point, there’s no other option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed

Tech thought noise could be coming from the dif, but vw regional tech is going to visit the car tomorrow or Friday. According to the service manager, vw has not had this issue previously.
I’m trying to be understanding and calm, but I’m anxious to have this problem fixed and have the new ride back. Obviously I’m not completely happy to have a car with 1500 miles disassembled and reassembled so much. But at this point, there’s no other option.

Sounds good. Mine is going in tomorrow morning at 0730 for the day. I’ll keep you posted on what’s said.

I’m also not terribly thrilled about having mine taken apart...I have 580 miles now on the odometer.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
getting them to hear it and hopefully say "that's not normal" is 1/2 of the battle.

keep us updated

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed

Well, my story is the exact same as yours. They are ordering a new driver side axle, should be here Monday or Tuesday and couldn't guarentee that would fix it but "it's a starting point". He then said that if that doesn't solve the issue, a VW regional tech will be taking a look at it.

They have the car back together and said I'm good to drive. What damage can I do? Is it safe? I'm not a happy camper at this point.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, my story is the exact same as yours. They are ordering a new driver side axle, should be here Monday or Tuesday and couldn't guarentee that would fix it but "it's a starting point". He then said that if that doesn't solve the issue, a VW regional tech will be taking a look at it.

They have the car back together and said I'm good to drive. What damage can I do? Is it safe? I'm not a happy camper at this point.

It seems like I’m one day ahead of you on repairs. I haven’t had any update today, so assuming the regional tech did not make it. Hopefully they will tomorrow.

I hope the axle fixes the issue for you, and you can put the repair behind you. Good luck.

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems like I’m one day ahead of you on repairs. I haven’t had any update today, so assuming the regional tech did not make it. Hopefully they will tomorrow.

I hope the axle fixes the issue for you, and you can put the repair behind you. Good luck.

We’ll see. They didn’t sound very confident. Going to get the car after work. They insist I’m good to drive it until the part arrives next week.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
We’ll see. They didn’t sound very confident. Going to get the car after work. They insist I’m good to drive it until the part arrives next week.

I’ve been driving with the noise for about 1k, so I don’t think you’ll have an issue with another week.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
My car had the exact same noise a couple times, turned out it was the exhaust contacting on the chassis brace that runs under it and the second time it was my aftermarket downpipe hitting a heatshield. If you have the means, jack your car up and take a quick look underneath to see if your exhaust is close to either of those. It caused a terrible creaking noise on my car.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
Update on my car in service. Regional tech visited, drained my transmission fluid, found significant metal. They are replacing the transmission and car will be ready for pick up on Monday.

Of course I’m pretty disappointed, but at the same time I understand stuff happens with all cars. Don’t take my posts as complaining. I just want to share info and hoping to have the car fixed up like new.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Update on my car in service. Regional tech visited, drained my transmission fluid, found significant metal. They are replacing the transmission and car will be ready for pick up on Monday.

Of course I’m pretty disappointed, but at the same time I understand stuff happens with all cars. Don’t take my posts as complaining. I just want to share info and hoping to have the car fixed up like new.

Interesting. Seems like if he went for that first ( though I guess we don’t know if he did) as a troubleshooting step, Then they know that there’s an issue with the transmission that would cause it to make that noise

Then again I know a guy who is a regional service engineer (I think that’s his actual title) for 17 dealers in the Bay Area. He sees some crazy shit According to the few things he’s told me