GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Re: Bigger brake upgrade

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

Coming from a non PP GTI, I’m looking into eventually getting some bigger brakes w all the added power. The kits for sale out there aren’t tempting for the price. I guess my question is since I’m tuned, is going for a bigger brake kit worth it? Or could some nice new rotors and pads do the trick?

Also, I see ppl often go for bigger front brake kits, but isnt it weird to keep the stock brake rear kit? I’ve never done any kind of brake upgrades before so genuinely curious. I’ve also looked into buying the parts for a PP brake upgrade which, w calipers pads and rotors bought separately would run about $800.

Anyway, any suggestions would help. I’m already looking into getting a clutch upgrade very soon and cost matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Coming from a non PP GTI, I’m looking into eventually getting some bigger brakes w all the added power. The kits for sale out there aren’t tempting for the price. I guess my question is since I’m tuned, is going for a bigger brake kit worth it? Or could some nice new rotors and pads do the trick?

Also, I see ppl often go for bigger front brake kits, but isnt it weird to keep the stock brake rear kit? I’ve never done any kind of brake upgrades before so genuinely curious. I’ve also looked into buying the parts for a PP brake upgrade which, w calipers pads and rotors bought separately would run about $800.

Anyway, any suggestions would help. I’m already looking into getting a clutch upgrade very soon and cost matters.

Visit Deutsche Auto parts. They sell OE front kit and OE rear kit to install PP brakes. Front $1,199 and rear $278.
ECS Tuning also sells kits. The Forge brand is a nice look but $2,000 front only but you get 2 piece rotors.
Not a brake expert but fronts only likely OK for DD. The front do most of the work. You could upgrade front and on rears add good pads, upgrade rotors if needed and maybe up grade brake fluid.
Doing front only my be issue if car tracked and driven hard.

To me the Deutsche kit looks good.
Then add labor or a skilled friend.

Front 2 piece rotors look good.
Double check clearance to your new smaller wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Isn't that basically a TTRS kit?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Now you can sell Hulk your stock brakes and everyone will be happy

But seriously guys this topic is well covered. Upgraded pads on stock non PP brakes are a plenty big upgrade for a street car. "Upgraded" rotors if you're referring to drilled and slotted are pointless and just more prone to cracking.

I'm sure Breakingbadly will chime in any minute now, but basically if you're not suffering from brake fade on properly upgraded stock brakes you're wasting money to swap on a BBK. Common REAL upgrades the guys who track their cars suggest are: OEM cooling air ducts to the brakes, trimmed or removed dust shields, upgraded pads, and if needed fluid.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Another good option is to get the Brembo 4pot front calipers from a 986 Boxster and refurb them. Uses non-PP rotor size (312x25). Currently working on this myself. They bolt up with just a set of brackets, bolts, and lines. There's already a write-up on here for them. Total cost should be about $1k.

USA

Ready to race!
$3,500.
HULK may pass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got it for $2700. The stock brakes are not very good IMHO. But I am used to BBK Brembos on all my other vehicles. So coming down to these Stock R brakes was some getting used to for me.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got it for $2700. The stock brakes are not very good IMHO. But I am used to BBK Brembos on all my other vehicles. So coming down to these Stock R brakes was some getting used to for me.

Your build justifies that kinda money and BBK tho, not many members here are doubling the stock hp

big residual

Passed Driver's Ed
Imo, if you’re not tracking the car, you won’t get value out of a BBK. Do upgraded pads and stainless steel lines if you want better feel and increased stopping power. Start there.

I have an R so I don’t know the comparison between its stock brakes and a GTI, but I never thought much about upping the brakes until I started tracking the car a lot. I’m not sure power matters much on the street, that just gets you to speed faster... no matter how quickly you get there, stopping quickly is it’s own thing.

If you are tracking, the StopTech kit above is awesome if pricey.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

Thanks all for helpful input. Since I don’t track and mostly do DD and spirited driving a decent amount, a BBK isn’t rly worth it.

My other question would be should I get rotors the same time I get new pads? I’ve heard that bc of uneven, unique wear that can happen it’s best to replace at the same time.

PP brakes look great but spending well over 1200 when I have a new clutch in my near future just isn’t viable rly. Pads it is. And to whoever was suggesting a $3k kit for my 17” wheels, yeah no. Also, I have no where near that kind of money to dump on brakes.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You can change pads without rotors if they're not worn, just bed them in per the pads manufacturers recommend method and enjoy.

I'd also skip the stainless lines, you won't notice a difference and that's money that can help fund your clutch