GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many MK7's have Coilovers installed?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
i'm only familiar with BC Racing but most parts are serviceable or replaceable and available separately. so in the case you outlined of a bunk shock, you can just purchase that single shock alone.

Trust me when I say, having ride height, camber plates, and dampening adjustability in a single coil over shock, is so much better, and though it is more $$, once they’re installed, you forget about the cost, because of the smiles on your face.

Think of it as this: if a coil goes bad in the front, you would need take apart the OEM coilovers to replace the shock, so as far as work to get it fixed, it’s the same whether on OEM coilovers, or aftermarket. There are coilovers companies that are 100% rebuildable, and most have 2yr warranties, so it should be fine in that regard. Downtime is a factor if you have a broken part on a coilover, but some companies can just ship out the item needed to be replaced, and you can swap it on at home, and then send the bad part back to them when you’ve replaced it, but not all coilover companies do that. I think you’ll be fine with coilovers. If anything, maybe find a budget set of coilovers, and find a used set of lowereing springs. That way you have both, and can swap your OEM suspension with lowering spring onto your car if your coilovers ever had a problem.

This is good to know, thanks for the input. Having no experience with coilovers, my two biggest concerns are being able to replace worn components without having to buy a full set and whether I'll have to constantly service/adjust them as compared to regular springs/shocks.

I’d say pass on budget coilovers. Cheap suspension sucks. Buy once, cry once.

Agreed

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
IME...shocks on coilovers aren't any different than regular shocks. They should wear pretty similar to normal shocks. I've had coilovers on all my lowered VW's and Audis. I've run Weitec, KW, H&R, and now Bilstein coilovers. All have been pretty reliable. My S4 has some H&R's. They had some 60k on them when I sold the car...and far as I know...the new owner is still running them.

What I did find is that the ride and performance will start to degrade when you lower past the "tipping point" on all the coilovers I've had.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
This is good to know, thanks for the input. Having no experience with coilovers, my two biggest concerns are being able to replace worn components without having to buy a full set and whether I'll have to constantly service/adjust them as compared to regular springs/shocks.

Agreed

If you just drive the car you’ll never need to adjust them. That’s why fully adjustable coilovers are kind of unnecessary for most drivers. They’re good for adjusting to different race tracks and stuff. Most people just set it and forget it. Functionally they are a damper and spring, it’s just how they’re combined for adjustability in ride height. And with high quality dampers/coilovers you just get theme rebuilt when they wear out. The manufacturer or a suspension tuner can do that.

For racing I replace the oil in my shocks twice a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPI

That looks super nice. I live in Toronto. Where did you buy your coils? I reallllllly don't want to buy from the US.

Thanks! They are from autowerx parts. They are local but still had to ship from the US