GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATR's OEM plus 2017 GTI Sport

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I had that same B Pillar rattle on the driver side. I bought my car September 2016 which it made it nearly everyday even if it was a smooth road etc. Then the winter came, and didn't hear a peep out of the car. Then this year once everything melted it was back. I made the appointment sometime in June of this year. They had the car for about a week to drop the headliner and take care of it. There was a VW bulletin service for this particular issue so I was assured that the VW Tech from VWOA was going to assure it was gone. Now with the majority of the summer behind us I hear it maybe once or twice out of a month where before it was everyday for a couple months leading up to the winter. I'm just going to live with that since its a huge improvement. The only negative to it all was because of the infamous greasy hands of techs my headliner being beige and some of the trim pieces had shit all over them. The dealer compensated with a couple oil changes and new front/rear wipers. I had my detail guy take it all out because I didn't trust the dealers contacts to get it fixed. All in all it was worth it. This was the only issue in my car, so I can sleep easier at night haha! :)
Yep! When cooler weather hits its quiet as a mouse. It only really does this when it's really warm out and the sun shines on the drivers side of the car.

I actually haven't heard it in over a month now.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
Yep! When cooler weather hits its quiet as a mouse. It only really does this when it's really warm out and the sun shines on the drivers side of the car.

I actually haven't heard it in over a month now.

Yours could be an isolated case, and maybe not as bad as mine was. That was very much the same with my case. Plus I enjoy doing some spirited driving in the Spring/Summer, I wanted it to be fixed so I wouldn't hear it anymore.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Small update, I recently bought OEM European short shifter.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/european-short-shift-kit/8j0711046e/

I'll be sure to let you all know how I like it :D

Shorty's metal side to side shifter looks like a good way to get a metal bracket in there.

I might also try the ECS cable ends.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...able-end-link-kit-85mm-10mm/018835ecs01-02kt/

I bought a used side to side shifter off eBay for about $35

Dieselgeek has a great bushing to remove any/all side to side slop:
https://www.dieselgeek.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SHIFT-SuperSlider

Figured "why not?" and bought that too :D

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Got a set of used Neuspeed rse05 in Hyper Silver. Not sure if I'll keep them silver or powder coated.

Also visited AWE Exhaust and picked up the touring conversion midpipe to be a bit more civil in the winter months.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Euro Short shifter!

I swapped out the stock shifter and installed the Euro short shifter. It feels simply exactly what it should feel like from the factory!

Fore and aft feels like it's right between the stock throw and the Diesel geek S6's throw.

I tried to fit the metal side to side bracket as well, but it would seem that the stock cable end is both too wide and it's inner width allows for too much play when it's attached to the metal bracket.
***Side note does anyone know what part number the cable end is for the metal side to side bracket???

Here's some pictures showing what the stock vs the euro short shifter looks like. Also some before and after shots of the referb job that I did on the side to side bracket:

Attachments

• 20171016_180350.jpg
    20171016_180350.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 634
  • 20171016_180405_HDR.jpg
    20171016_180405_HDR.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 634
  • 20171015_174912.jpg
    20171015_174912.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 20171016_180424.jpg
    20171016_180424.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 631

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I also edited everal of the posts so that you can see pictures instead of going through google photos...

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Interested in a full review of the shifter. Been eyeing it myself.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Interested in a full review of the shifter. Been eyeing it myself.

I'll have to do a follow up review in a few days to a week from now. So far my initial thoughts are two posts above. Really there's not much to it. It's exactly like the OEM shifter but with the throws shortened a good amount. It feels OEM because it is a OEM part. Really should have been there from the factory :cool:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
AWE Tuning update...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you a quick update on the touring conversion midpipe that I added to the track edition.
I picked up the mid-pipe directly from AWE's Facility in Horsham PA last Wednesday.

I had the pleasure of being able to take a tour of AWE's facility that day as well. Let me just say that they have a great reputation for a reason! Top notch quality goes into their exhaust systems. They are also very friendly with great customer service and support!

Now on to the touring conversion...

As to the first question "why? It's not that loud."
Reason why is that I wanted to calm down the bit of drone between 2500-3500rpm. I felt that it was just a touch too loud for my tastes when I'm just cruising around. Don't get me wrong it was something I could easily tolerate. But I just wanted to turn the volume down a couple of notches.

So here's my take since swapping over to the touring conversion midpipe from the track midpipe with the OEM downpipe.

On my way home from the shop it was a tad too quiet... Close to stock Sound levels but deeper with more roar. Overall sound is great! Volume seems to build up as the revs go up (exactly what I wanted!).

Today it seems to have gotten a bit louder and a bit deeper. Volume still builds up nicely. I really like how this is sounding so far. I was thinking about going with track in the warmer months and touring in the winter months. But the way the touring is breaking in I may just leave it as is until I get AWE's downpipe :D

I only have ~120 miles on the exhaust since I had it installed last Friday so I'll let you all know how things go as the resonator breaks in over the next week or so. I'm taking a nice road trip to WV tomorrow so I'm sure it'll break in the rest of the way by then :)

Attachments

• 20171011_162124-01.jpg
    20171011_162124-01.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Touring is perfect with a downpipe. I got the chance of driving one (touring/AWE dp), loud when you want it to be but tame during cruising and none of that big change in sound when you hit 2.8k+ rpm.

Track with a downpipe is pretty damn loud!

Indeed! As it's been breaking in it's really seemed to have deepened in tone. Overall volume is much more to my liking as well. Sounds very near stock when cruising, but lay into the gas pedal and it belts out the crescendo I was looking for. It sounds like the volume knob turns up with the rpm gauge.

Before with the track edition alone it seemed to have the loudest output in the 3200-3600rpm then quickly turn down as the revs raised.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Saturday Project: Fixing the vague shift feeling...

Consider this a followup review of the upgraded S3 shifter...

Okay, now I remember why I went with the DGS6 shifter to begin with. I've been missing 2nd and 3rd more in the past week then I had ever missed it when I had the DGS6 installed. Simply put I had to find a way to fix this issue.

Install the APR cable bracket.

Simply put this helped sharpen things quite a bit! :eek: :D

My thoughts are if you want to sharpen up the shifting feeling this should be one of the first mods hands down! I can feel much better now. There's less guess work "did I successfully put it in gear?". I know weather or not it's in gear now.

Can you do more?

why yes, yes indeed you can... More on that later :)

Attachments

• 20171028_130027.jpg
    20171028_130027.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 539

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Brainstorm!

........Can you do more?

why yes, yes indeed you can... More on that later :)
I guess I should elaborate a bit more. On my way home a saturday or two ago I had a brainstorm... "I wonder if epoxy could be used?" I had some left over from a project I did a while back. Figured why not. I have a spare cable end now sooooo here's some pictures of the project and a quick step by step guide.

First things first, I don't think this is the best method of doing this. I think the best way of doing this would be to fill it with polyurethane.

How-to:
-Get a flathead screw driver to pop the plastic ends out of the cable end
-put the longer plastic piece into the cable end
-Get some masking tape and tape up the back side of the mount with the plastic piece.
-fill all the voids with epoxy
-wait brifely (no more then a minute!)
-insert the other half of the plastic piece into the cable end
-Fill the remining voids on the top (I went a bit overboard :eek:)
(before and after pix at the bottom)

Attachments

• 20171028_164249.jpg
    20171028_164249.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 20171028_164325.jpg
    20171028_164325.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 468
  • 20171028_164339.jpg
    20171028_164339.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 20171028_164423.jpg
    20171028_164423.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 459
  • 20171028_164431.jpg
    20171028_164431.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 20171028_164711.jpg
    20171028_164711.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 20171028_164853.jpg
    20171028_164853.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 20171028_164929.jpg
    20171028_164929.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 20171028_165509.jpg
    20171028_165509.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 20171028_184124.jpg
    20171028_184124.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 474

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
My thoughts on this after driving with it for 2 weeks?

Great inexpensive mod. Seems to have solidified the shifts and I have yet to have missed any shifts since installing this mod.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
These OEM clutches really do suck!

Really enjoying the boost weather!

On my way over to a friend's house this morning I was on the highway going about 70mph in 5th gear about to pass some traffic. Give it a little go juice and I noticed that the RPM gauge jumps up briefly... I thought "What the hey?! ...Did that just happen?". Did the same thing with a bit of go juice. Sure enough!

So yeah 18.5k untuned miles and my clutch is just starting to slip. I'm both surprised and not surprised... Surprised, because I've owned nothing but manual transmission equipped cars and none of them ever needed a clutch. I'm not surprised because of what I have learned about them here.

Now that I know the clutch is on crutches I can nurse it along for a few months. But I know that it'll be too soon for a replacement.

Having serious thoughts about trading in for a DSG equipped Golf R :eek:

Just kidding! Or am I? Stay tuned to find out. Spoiler alert, if I do replace the clutch this car is going to get serious :D:eek::cool: