GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TRS Morimoto D3S 6000K bulbs? Thoughts?

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have experience with the Morimoto D3S bulbs? How’s the light output, color temperature, life expectancy so far in your car, etc? What are your thoughts and opinions. I want something white with a hint of blue to it, and it’s either these are the Osram CBI HID bulbs

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Osram CBI is the best

Agreed. I love my CBIs.

A friend of mine ran the Morimotos for a month or two and had a bulb failure. Also, I noticed that the bulbs were a bit bluer than anticipated and it made visibility at night (wet roads in particular) slightly more challenging.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
What do the CBI bulbs look like to your eyes? I’m after white with a hint of blue look.

I'll be honest - I was expecting them to be a tad cooler in temperature. But I am still very very pleased with them. Basically a pure, crisp white. My projectors are Valeo units with a nice blue tinged cutoff, so they look extremely good from outside the car.

For what it's worth, there seems to be two variations of Osram CBI bulbs - one at "up to 5000k", and one at "up to 6000k" known as CBI-HCB. The ones from the retrofitsource (what I have) are the former. I haven't found too much info on the other variation aside from this: https://www.hidconcept.com/d3s-osram-xenarc-cool-blue-intense-66340cbi-hid-bulbs/ (They appear to be on sale for a very good price right now).

Had I known about those, I probably would have gone with them. But again, still very happy with my CBIs and recommend them highly. Overall output is significantly better, and the crisp white is clean compared to the yellowish stocks.

vrod

Ready to race!
The Morimotos are good bulbs, I did start to see some discoloring though after just a year, then a couple of months later the bulb completely stopped working. Using philips whitevision gen2 now.

The Morimotos gave a decent light output and the color was very identical to the DRL LED. However if you are looking for real output, the philips whitevisions gives a bit more than the morimotos

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
We have many people running our setup as an alternative to the popular OSRAM CBI and Morimoto, we now offer a 4300k d3s but we still suggest the 5500k:
-bright
-clean white color temp with NO burn in times and NO yellow or blue tint
-plug and play error free install
-lifetime warranty if you do have any issues we have you covered

http://deautokey.com/product/new-d1...te-no-errors-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

Customer review:

Ok so I saw that DeAutokey had new bulbs and I immediately wanted them. Don't get me wrong the oem cc adaptive headlights are great. I just wanted them to be a bit whiter (more like the new led headlights color on other cars acura,mb,bmw,mazda, etc.)

I opted for the 5500k and am very happy with the outcome. I just put them in 5 min ago so I haven't seen them at night but from looking at oem and this it looks great.

Here is a picture of the DeAutokey 5500k on the left and oem color on the right. The color matches the drl led better too. The garage wall is gray so the color may be off but it looks pure white with a hint of blue.

Found this YouTube video (not mine do at your own risk/will) props to the guy who made it.

https://youtu.be/rst7XCk6Ids

So I went around looking through forums and such and many recommend the Sylvania osram bulbs if you were replacing oem bulbs. So I got them to compare to the deautokey ones.

My garage wall is gray and camera doesn't truly get the color but you can tell the difference.

This is at startup car is off.

Here is after 2min and the car is on bulbs now fully warmed up

You can see the osram on the left is more yellow than the deautokey on the right. As far as brightness goes they are equal if not deautokey is a tad brighter. This is their 5500k color. In person the color is pure white with a hint of blue. Way better than oem imo

Don't mind the dirty headlight

So overall I'm very happy with the deautokey set that I bought. And it costs less than the Sylvania osram. Another reason I like them is every other bulb so far has been great and deautokey is an active member on here and backs their product.

Hope this helps

5500k looking great!

Last edited: