GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sportwagen on Tail of the Dragon (TN Rt-129)

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
I just got back from my yearly visit to TN/NC for the Epic East Coast Mazda Meet (EECMM) year 11 where we rent a huge mansion in the Smoky Mountains, get drunk and party at night, drive the amazing roads by day. My Sportwagen is still on the stock turbo with a JB4 and map6 tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x8.5" wheels w/235/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons and it did incredibly well considering it has FWD, a slushbox automatic and no LSD. Was able to handle Rt-129, Tail of the Dragon, Rt-28 Moonshiner and the Chernola Skyway without slipping once. Only had some spin if I turned the wheel too harshly on hard corners but otherwise handled solid as a rock. Using manual mode I kept the car in 2nd and 3rd the entire way through the Tail and 3-4 on Moonshiner and just left it in sport mode for the Skyway and higher speed roads. It was about 78-82 degrees out, no humidity and I hit 225-230 oil temps when I was really hammering it.

Just found my pics from the various photographers and uploaded them to my imgur. Pretty funny that out of my entire group of friends who went my car got more photos taken than any of them. None of my friends had the ass-ends of their cars taken but 2 different photographers turned their heads and took rear-end shots of my car :D. I guess they don't see wagons on the tail very often!

I got some GoPro video of another attempt at the tail the following day these photos were taken. I drove the ENTIRE 11 miles and only encountered 1 car. Unfortunately the a-hole wouldn't pull over so I did a U-turn and drove 1 mile and did another U-turn to finish.

Here are 6 of the 33 that they took:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
those wheels looks sharp... black mirror caps next! maybe even a lip!

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
agreed nice ride. they offer more interior colors on that model. love the brown leather with blue metallic outside.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Thx! I love the wheels! Had to do the screw mod though cuz they were rubbing in the front initially.

And it has a lip...very subtle Maxton v1 which is a Golf Cup edition replica. I still wanna do skirts of some kind but still on the fence over getting the black GTI spats or getting painted white OEM's

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Great looking Sportwagon! Looks like fun, I definitely want to do that drive sometime. I would do the black mirror caps and call it done. Just my opinion...

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yours is a sharp looking car. And thats one of the best roads i have ever driven. Hope you had a great time.