GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1.5 R vs Mercedes AMG GLE 63S?

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
Pulled up to a light that led to the highway last night and was waiting when an older guy in a Mercedes SUV pulls up next to me. I had my windows down as it was a beautiful night. The guy starts talking to me about how much he loves the R and that he really liked my car. I said hey thanks a lot. He said he was deciding between a STI and a Golf R. He said he had a Forester STI that was putting down 400 whp but had traded it for the Mercedes he was in. I told him he should definitely go with the R. So after exchanging a few additional words the light changes and we start out slow until we get to the on ramp and he punches it. I wasn't expecting it so I went as well. I was expecting to reel him in and pass him. However I was barely catching him! I couldn't pass him in time before the ramp changed from 2 lanes to 1 lane. My girlfriend was with me and I was like "WTF is that!!?" I looked as best I could and could see it had quad tailpipes. Couldn't see any badges though as it was dark.

Side note: So we merge on the highway going pretty quick and there was a mustang behind us. He was trying to keep up but couldn't at all. It was quite funny. Must have been an ecoboost.

Anyway so we're playing around and I was amazed at how quick the Mercedes was! We finally got a chance to do a fair race from about maybe 65ish. We shut down around 100 and I had only put maybe half a car on him! I was thoroughly impressed.

Here is my best guess as to what it was https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-GLE/model-GLE63W4
Probably the 63 but not the S version. 550 HP? Wonder if he was modded at all.

Thoughts??

Last edited:

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I would say it was stock. If it was those brand new ones, then yea stock. Those things trap 112-115 easy and could give a S1.5 R some trouble. if it was tuned you might have gotten slapped. Merc's, same with many german engines, responds very well to tunes. AMGs are no joke especially the V8s.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
that's the brand new one, and it's really just the M from back in the days. stupid rename like Infiniti messing with people's heads . didn't know there was an S, but it has fulltime 4wd vs haldex
I think ... maybe it was just traction

can't imagine how it hung with you weighing 4500 lbs easily

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk