GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Easthood Racing's Time Attack/Getaway Driver GTI

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
How did you like the VWR springs on the track?

I am a golf tsi and i liked my VWR springs on the track, never went stock on the track, but by me just experiencing left hand turns at a intersections really reduced body roll. By going to the track i felt the car actually turn in nicely. But once again u need proper shocks for proper shock rebounding.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
How did you like the VWR springs on the track?
They were ok. They have since been changed to a fantastic setup by MSS KITS!

Now i know what to write about next!
I am a golf tsi and i liked my VWR springs on the track, never went stock on the track, but by me just experiencing left hand turns at a intersections really reduced body roll. By going to the track i felt the car actually turn in nicely. But once again u need proper shocks for proper shock rebounding.

They were great at doing normal things. I would say they were a comfy but when you REALLY start pushing it like i do you can tell they weren't that well suited to big braking and high g turns. Great springs for your normal super cool and fun Golf driver.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
So Suspension and Tires first. Mind you we are starting back March of 2017.

Going off our VWR talk one of my main gripes with VMR was the ride height and "limit" behaviors. The tires I was running where Pirelli Pzero Rosso 235/40/18. Solid tire and good fun but i was rubbing like mad in the rear. It seemed that this car really started to sink in the rear and for good measure braking hard say from 90-20 would cause the car to dip so far forward it was uncomfortable. Braking with confidence and cornering at high speeds was sketchy at best. Roll was very noticeable. Basically if i tried to do anything silly above 65+ it was going to take some balls. The rubbing was stupid in the rear. Any road bump, or dip taken at speed and you would hear the scraping. now this may have to do with my tires being meaty and wide, true but I knew it was not needed.

After the wing was installed braking was certainly improved but all it did was let me know my suspension was the weak point especially on high speed corners/curves/overpass. Enter MSS!

I first heard about the MSS concept on this forum but I wasn't paying it much attention as i was adamant that i was NOT going with coilovers as my car needed to be HIGHER in order to function at speed.

After speaking with the guys at Excelerate Performance (yall rock) I joined the group buy for the adjustable shocks.

IMG_3530 by djfrozone, on Flickr

I liked the idea of a modular concept. If you look at proper racing vehicles these cars aren't slammed to the ground and they raise/lower as needed. Knowing the TCR spec GTI's dont really run anything to special by way shocks (billisten shocks and springs) I knew I didn't need to drop $$$$$$ to get great performance.

The setup from MSS is designed to be used with the oem stock shocks and dampeners. Installation was super simple. Swap out VWR and slide in MSS in the correct positions and adjust as needed. I went with an adjustable SPORT rear and the standard (non adj) fronts. I specifically wanted to save cost and my car is aa DD hence why i went for standard fronts. I haven't reached an arena where i need to lower the front of my car for performance reasons. not without some serious testing to follow.

To say these springs delivered is an understatement. No more crazy rubbing at speed, no more bouncy feelings at speed. PLANTED. I was able to have the rears leveled by a shop with the included tool and things have been smooth sailing.

Ride is amazing around town, no harshness at all and great response to steering input. They are hands down the best aspect of tracking the car. For the price its well worth it and it makes sense concept wise. Couldn't be happier.
Springs/Tires by djfrozone, on Flickr

Front
Springs/Tires by djfrozone, on Flickr

Car looks awesome at this height and super functional. Im the odd man out in the group as im trying to raise my car and make sure its never too low!

Tire Time

This summer I had the pleasure of running Federals Rs-R (also seen in photo above)
IMG_3516 by djfrozone, on Flickr

140tw tire is NUTS. I seriously loved these tires. They made it through 5-7 track days this summer PLUS being my DD road tire. While it seems silly to run a 140tw on the street everyday they did great! Grip is instant. 35 secs to get these tires ups to "party time" temps. Ran these from may till midway through this september. Response was great, def some road noise, but grip was amazing. Completely shit on the Pzeros (different tire class too) with the grip. Instrucutors who drove my car were amazed by how much grip they could get from these tires. I rarely heard them squeal and took some SERIOUS punishment in canada for EUROKRACY. @nd day of the show i spent close to 4 hours of actual track time with minimal breaks. No fade, no chunking, no loss of performance.

The one downside to this tire is rain. They are an absolute liability in the rain. Driving with these on the highway when wet was scary towards the end of the tires life. I could break traction at 30mph in 4th gear. It was bad.

So I just drove slow in the rain! (really funny im sure to other persons)

If the series I race in didn't specify what tires you had to run they would be my go to tire for sure. Price was sub400 for all four delivered. They died mid septemeber to my own fault of not checking my alignment. all four tires had the insides close to cording. but a month of DD driving with no rotations will do that. Its my fault, I killed them. If I had been more careful they might be good for 2 sessions next summer. As such i got roughly 5k out of them including track days and driving to the tracks as well.

RIP My friends
IMG_5102 by djfrozone, on Flickr

So check your alignment guys :( thrashing the car for hours on end may or may not change things lol

Last edited:

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the review and pics of your MSS kit. I'm looking forward to mine in the near future. Currently have REVO springs (which are similar to VWR). Want to be able to adjust height to handle some more meat on the street for the track.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Thanks for the review and pics of your MSS kit. I'm looking forward to mine in the near future. Currently have REVO springs (which are similar to VWR). Want to be able to adjust height to handle some more meat on the street for the track.

Yea! Love my kit. Thats exactly why i got mine. They also handle winter just fine lol.

Down the road when this car goes Track only i will upgrade to the LS options

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Lets get right to it.

I just installed my new MR series clutch from DKM

Stuff you need to know

2015 GTI S, MT, PP, LP (Ballin)
HP-402
TQ-425
DD/Time Attack/General Hooning

So after a full year of competition, driving, breaking things, and winning from time to time my clutch as died.

When I started the season with http://easthoodracing.wixsite.com/easthoodracing

I was making just over 330 WHP with an is20 and fully map 6 JB4. Killed my stock clutch and decided to try a new version good to about 450hp with an organic disk and stock DMF. Wanted that normal driving feel and honestly it was cheaper at the time (600 or so shipped). The team at http://www.dualmassflywheel24.com/component/virtuemart/ was super helpful and from February up until say September the clutch has been solid. We are talking MULTIPLE launches, non stop track action and a ludicrous amount of forces thrown at it. When I took out the IS20 and swapped in a Is20 hybrid things were still great! Then I went and worked with Cobb and the team at Stratified and things got way outta control. I went from 330whp to over 400 in the span of a month. Despite these changes the clutch did great up until the last event where it died completely on track. The clutch could not handle any amount of power. I could drive in any gear, sure but no full throttle even after detuning back to stock power.

Sad.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAUrc8TZJoKiXbTf9 . Crazy amount of material on the starter from the old one
Old one
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LfydcawRZTxt2Sk27

But not unexpected given the abuse. (At least 10 full timed track days at full tilt) I need another option. For this next year I’m going to have even more power to chase podiums this year. Hoping it rains (the great equalizer) every final so I can cruise past everyone is unrealistic. So, power game is changing to even higher and I need a reliable clutch to do so.

I had a few options. ACT, Southbend, Sachs, and DKM.

Long story short, I decided to give DKM a shot. I know another few competitors who use their products on track aka my primary concern. I can drive anything on the street but it has to perform when the money is on the line.

Thanks to Railroader for starting the conversation but I ended up going with DKMs MR line of clutch options.

http://www.dkmclutch.com/base-usa/clutch-kits/mr/  now you can read about it

I was torn between this and the MS but went with the race prep vs the street durability. I’ve never used a twin disk, or a race clutch, or anything so this is all new to me.

Install:
Went fast and great. Shout out to Devin.
Had all parts, TOB, and stickers. Not much to see here. It’s a clutch, we put it in. Took us maybe 3 hours and we were not going fast at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i15dpaNYUQBxkz3S7Initial Review

I like it! My car is quieter now. I can accelerate knowing I’m not going to get roasted by a cruze off the line now. My old clutch was dead. Dust all over the starter, hotspots everywhere on the DMF, the disk was actually ok on the old one.

Engagement is normal for my car. Its not off the ground its much closer to the top of the pedal. I don’t mind it, I’m sure it will change as it breaks in. I’m 6’0 235lb. For me the pedal is certainly stiff but its not anything crazy. I have and will continue to stall it on hills as its new and the nature of the clutch. My goal is to not slip this clutch at all when driving just use its engagement and roll. When it clicks in. The car is locked in and ready to go.

While driving its normal! I can shift into any gear at anytime with ease. Satisfyingly precise gear changes, good feel in the shifter, and its light! My car feels much lighter up front. Not sure what the weight difference was between the Stock DMF to this setup but its certainly smaller and it feels lighter so that’s a plus.

TLDR
MR Clutch Installed
No chatter
Easy to shift
Stiff-ish pedal
One step closer to full racecar status
Miles Driven 57.4

Recap at 250.
Thanks for reading. Hopefully that didn’t suck to read. Check out my race team, wave if you see me on track!

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
300 miles in on the clutch so far

No issues to report! Really can't wait to romp on it. Its pretty nice to have the ability to move around again on the streets. Engagement is nice and its very sure of itself in every gear. I cannot wait to romp on this thing in the coming months.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Clocking in at 750 now.

Clutch is awesome. Its still snowy so I can't really Launch it with snow tires but its clicking into each gear. When the car is warmed up its very quick. I feel like i can feel the plates really grabbing hold.

Really pumped to let it rip in the summer.

Next mod will be more aero!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the MSS kits review.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Thanks for the MSS kits review.

No problem. If you have any other questions just let me know. You can watch some onboard video from my channel if you want to know how it does on track.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
So should I update this or start a new one?

Car is a weeeeee bit different know. Wondering if its worth it starting a new thread..

Attachments

• DSC_0331.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 134