GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best downpipe for CA use

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Hey hexxum, how do you know Neuspeed no longer guarantees no CEL :rolleyes:?
As you can see in my sig, I have a Neuspeed catted DP that I purchased late last year. Around May of this year I started throwing the P0420 code. When I contacted Neuspeed about it, they said they no longer guarantee no CEL. If you look on their website, it no longer states it on their anymore either. Before it used to. That's one of the main reasons that I got it. Oh well. I threw on a Vibrant O2 spacer and it's fine now.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Get a cat-less. They don't harass Volkswagen's as much unless you get caught driving like an idiot and get caught and the car is fairly quiet with a down-pipe cruising around town. I'm running the APR and it's cat-less. I punched out the cat because my is20 blew and the exhaust turbine melted the surface of the cat lol. If i had to do it all over again, i would get the CTS cat-less... the inlet piping is a 3.5" going to a 3"
Use coupon (code:GolfMk7Forum)
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/cts-turbo-downpipe-15-plus-golf-r-s3-cts-exh-dp-0015

ryohei47

Ready to race!
I bought a second one for this reason. It looks stock to the ref which is better than an aftermarket one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm are you tuned? Curious as to what benefits you could get from this setup since pipe diameter is still restricted.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Hmm are you tuned? Curious as to what benefits you could get from this setup since pipe diameter is still restricted.

I've been hearing a few guys talking about this. I'm sure it is better than stock with that first restrictive cat removed, but those bends at the mouth of the stock DP are just god awful. My guess is 70-80% of the benefits as compared to an aftermarket pipe. Someone would need to dyno this solution to see for sure, otherwise it is all just speculation on well it works.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I intend to put the factory tune back on along with my factory downpipe and intake to ensure I pass visual and emissions readiness. It's not that hard to get the downpipe back on, I'm not sure why others mentioned it as a reason to avoid the mod.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
I've been hearing a few guys talking about this. I'm sure it is better than stock with that first restrictive cat removed, but those bends at the mouth of the stock DP are just god awful. My guess is 70-80% of the benefits as compared to an aftermarket pipe. Someone would need to dyno this solution to see for sure, otherwise it is all just speculation on well it works.

Yea I'd definitely want to see a dyno for this but its an intriguing idea. It's probably unlikely to pass smog with it though since its missing a cat

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Planning on eventually ending up FBO protuned, but want to keep my warranty for a while longer, so weighing my options which now seem best kept to JB4 plus downpipe.

As a California driver, what are most people getting away with downpipe wise since CARB makes our lives more difficult? Do you guys go catless w/ stage 2 and not worry about it at all (flash and reinstall stock dp before smog), shell out cash for an AWE or Neuspeed DP, or take the chance with another catted DP like Uni, CTS or APR w/ a 42DD spacer?

I'm more inclined to go towards the AWE or Neuspeed but they're so expensive versus other competitors. It seems like the APR DP w/ a 300 cell cat and a 42DD seems like the best alternative if you don't wanna spend $1100 shipped. Seems that a lot of people have trouble with the CTS and a spacer so probably not the best route. Any input is appreciated.

I run aftermarket catted DPs on my VWs. When its time to smog I swap in an OEM DP and flash back to stock. Some people pay $300+ to overlook visual, I would rather spend my time than spend the money plus it really doesn't take too long. Think of all the tools you can buy instead! Be thankful and jealous you don't have a rear drive shaft in the way.

...and to be honest I don't think anyone has smogged their car yet...we have 6yrs to do first smog..lol

I have! Bought it from out of state.

Lopez0101

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 Mk7 GTI
I had to SMOG my '16 GTI in order to register it on a military base. Dumb.
I failed because I had an IE intake. Had to put the stock one back on. No doubt they would have failed me had I had a DP too. Glad I hadn't bought a DP until after that!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Yea I'd definitely want to see a dyno for this but its an intriguing idea. It's probably unlikely to pass smog with it though since its missing a cat

Yeah, likely not going to pass that sniffer test. Some just need to pass a visual inspection from what I gather, or to get by for warranty work. Would be great for that as long as they don't ask about the increased sound it likely makes without that first cat! Luckily I don't deal with this where I am.

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably a dumb question. I have a 2016 TSI, was thinking of converting to gti exhaust, but keeping OEM DP still installed. Would that pass? I’m also from Hawaii and never had driven in CA until recently. Just wanted to know what to expect.

bleeped

Probably a dumb question. I have a 2016 TSI, was thinking of converting to gti exhaust, but keeping OEM DP still installed. Would that pass? I’m also from Hawaii and never had driven in CA until recently. Just wanted to know what to expect.

The last time I had to smog, I had a 350z with high flow cat. I went to a Korean owned place and he just kept running it till it passed. Failed about 4 times and the 5th was a pass. Honestly I think it just depends on who you take it to.