GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015+ GTI for AutoX

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, reading this thread helped educate me on them. Doesn't hold gear/may upshift on me. From what I gather people are saying to run DSG in sport? Why not flop it over to manual?

Also, I noticed the issue you brought up, the hesitation/intervention at 5k or 5.5k in 1st. If that's consistent, I would think upshifting at 5k would be the remediation.

heshin

Hey guys, planning on my first autocross event in a few weeks after just watching my first one locally and have a quick question. I have a 2016 MK7 GTI 6MT w/PP and just installed 18" Neuspeed RSE10's and 235/40-18 Michelin PSS's (purchased before I decided to Autox). Question is, for my first run I dont want to destroy the PSS's, should I just run the stockers as they only have 8k on them or bite the bullet with the PSS's? Also, what pressures do you recommend for both? Thanks in advance for your input!

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys, planning on my first autocross event in a few weeks after just watching my first one locally and have a quick question. I have a 2016 MK7 GTI 6MT w/PP and just installed 18" Neuspeed RSE10's and 235/40-18 Michelin PSS's (purchased before I decided to Autox). Question is, for my first run I dont want to destroy the PSS's, should I just run the stockers as they only have 8k on them or bite the bullet with the PSS's? Also, what pressures do you recommend for both? Thanks in advance for your input!

I was running extremely high PSI on my PSS so I wouldn't ruin the shoulders. Around 45 hot if I remember correctly. They're too soft - it wasn't fun let me tell you that.

heshin

I was running extremely high PSI on my PSS so I wouldn't ruin the shoulders. Around 45 hot if I remember correctly. They're too soft - it wasn't fun let me tell you that.
Yeah, thats what Im reading. Great for the street, but for autox they are not the way to go which is why Im considering rolling the stocks to see how it is and if I like it get a set of dedicated 17's and some RE71r's.

typerr

MK7 is better, trust me, as long as the course is not too slow. At least for the 6MTs.

DSG might not have that problem. But you need to drive around DSG's quirk.

I've run three autocrosses now with my MK7 DSG. My setup is 245 RE71R's on 17x7.5's and I have the H&R bar. I'd been out of autox for about 8 years but back in the day I was nationally competitive in my Integra Type R and won many tours and a pro.

I tried shifting the DSG manually but it was tricky to find the tiny paddles with the wheel tuned even slightly so it was very distracting and I would end up off line. Since then I just keep it in S and let it shift where it wants to be. My experience is that while it sometimes shifts into third in a place I would allow a manual to bump the rev limiter its very quick to downshift back to second so I'm happy with it. I didn't buy this car with autocross in mind, if I had I would have bought the 6mt but its worlds better than any torque converter auto I have ever autocrossed.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah my MK6 was a DSG and you can use it just fine, just I find you need to be prepare to correct the transmission.

-=max=-

Ready to race!
Yeah, thats what Im reading. Great for the street, but for autox they are not the way to go which is why Im considering rolling the stocks to see how it is and if I like it get a set of dedicated 17's and some RE71r's.

The stock tires are terrible. You will have more fun on the pss. And you will not kill the tires in one event. Just run higg pressure in the front.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Stock tires as in all seasons? Or the stock summers? I chunked the shoulders of the stock Bridgestone summers in a few track sessions, but they wore ok otherwise. You'll have TONS of fun with the stock tires if it's your first time out. Just run what you brung.

-=max=-

Ready to race!
I had all seasons, could not go full throttle in a strait line, 2nd gear. So thats what I based it off. Im sure the summers are better.

heshin

Stock tires as in all seasons? Or the stock summers? I chunked the shoulders of the stock Bridgestone summers in a few track sessions, but they wore ok otherwise. You'll have TONS of fun with the stock tires if it's your first time out. Just run what you brung.
Yeah sorry, all seasons that came stock. I think Ill just toss those on for my firsts time and see how I like it. If I get hooked Ill probably just get a dedicated set of 17's.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So I did my first autox event ever yesterday in my GTI! It was a blast and I'm definitely going to be doing it again soon. Even on a super wet course (see pics for the aftermath) the car surprised me with how nimble it was. It was a practice event so I got 10 runs in. My times improved with every run, my first time of the day was 70.8 seconds or so and I ended the day with a 58.6! I don't have much to compare my runs to but I was happy to look over at the clock and see that I beat a couple BRZs, a camaro, and a mustang as they finished the course. My car is a DSG and I kept it in manual mode which worked pretty flawlessly. I only had to make the shift from 1st -> 2nd at the beginning of the course so that made it easy. Anyways, I can't wait to get back out there!

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 451

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Got a lot of autoXing done this weekend, did a test and tune on Friday and a small event Saturday at the same site got 10 runs in in a day, plus a codriver. Then another event locally sunday. Probably put in 35 runs on the car this weekend...

But I still suck at having sound for my GoPro videos...

Sat AM

Sat PM

Combined AM+PM netted 6th on PAX, only 2nd in GS though

Sun wet event, at least when I ran. Unfortunately I ran too early. If I had waited longer to taken my run would do better in the result I think. When I ran this was a top PAX run(this local club doesn't do normal run-work order like SCCA).

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
dat autocrosser lyfe:

taking 3 sets of tires to be flipped at a friend's tire mounting machine....

switching a set of Rival S 1.5 to another used RE71R set, and switching the PSS on the car right now to a set of Conti Extreme Contact Sport

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Fast run from this past weekend. The car is having some power cut issue that I am still not sure why. Not sure if its stability control related or something else. And one of my run the car just felt like down on power the whole time. Gonna try to do a coil and plug job and also maybe play around with VCDS to see if its a stability control thing.

The accel out of the last left hander it felt pretty soft.