GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner for carbon buildup issue?

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'm starting to get the carbon-buildup issue on my TSi with about 34k on it. It rumbles / misses slightly when stopped at idle. No apparent relation to whether cold or hot. I'm thinking it's time for a carbon buildup cleaning.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the "CRC GDI IVD® Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner"? I figure that's a quick, cheap, and relatively easy first step before resorting to having the engine partially disassembled and the buildup scraped off like dental plaque.

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05319.html

Thanks

Attanasio666

I tried it and I find it helps a bit but I don't think it's really good for your spark plugs. The best thing you can do to prevent it is run that engine to redline often, shorten the oil change interval, use top tier fuel. You seems to have low milage for carbon issue though. Are you sure your spark plugs are in good condition?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Good point. It's a heck of a concentration. Might be good to both change the oil and plugs soon after.

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey - Been a while but I thought I'd bump this thread.

So today I finally decided to use the CRC stuff. 38k on my Golf.
The hard part was keeping the throttle at 2000 rpm's, even with a stick propped against the pedal. I sprayed through the intake tube past the air intake box. (No I haven't gone for a wicked CAI yet.) (Actually the even harder part was getting the spring clamp back over the end of the tube.)

No codes; I drove it after an hour and I did have the EPC light come on but no drivability issues. I may have fiddled with the shift lever one too many times. I pulled over, stopped the engine, and then restarted, and the EPC light went out. Drove around for about 15-20 more minutes and it hasn't come back.

I can't say that it's done any good, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm. It does "feel" quicker but that could just be confirmation bias on my part.

So in the course of doing this I had also taken out what I believe to be the MAP sensor in the intake manifold, originally thinking it was the MAF sensor (but there is none). Mainly I wanted to avoid spraying on the MAF sensor. I put the MAx sensor back in before the cleaning procedure; however I had half-a-thought of spraying into that hole instead of into the intake. But not sure if it would have hit all of the valves that way, or if it would even start or run with the sensor off. It also occurred to me that this could be a good point of entry for an inspection camera / borescrope.

I actually took a video of the spraying:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/qW4oellqraw

Last edited: