GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Dave,
can you answer me two quick questions?
1) does the front engine skid/under tray interfere at all with the oil pan drain plug? I couldn't tell from pictures if you need to remove any of it during an oil change.

2) a quick eyeball at the parts tally puts the figure at close to £700! For us yanks across the pond that comes out around $850, or in another way, almost 4% of the price of the base GTI @ $25,000. Considering we pay about $2.50 a gallon of gas, which nets about 30-35 miles, the practical purpose of increasing aerodynamics for saving 'fuel economy' seems mute, no?

I suppose this has a practical application for reducing under carriage damage by rough road conditions, and reducing cabin noise. Its difficult to put a price on that.

1. Just use an extractor and you never have to remove the skid tray.

2. I'll have one for sale for less than half that amount in about a month when I get back to the USA. Picked up a spare when I installed mine but they're so incredibly strong that I'll never need to use the spare.

Derf

Ready to race!
1. Just use an extractor and you never have to remove the skid tray.

2. I'll have one for sale for less than half that amount in about a month when I get back to the USA. Picked up a spare when I installed mine but they're so incredibly strong that I'll never need to use the spare.

That price was for all the parts front to rear. However, if the price is right I'll buy it from you.

ARC

Just fitted the skid tray under the engine on my GTI - fitting those brackets is painful but was made doable by following Dave's excellent instructions:) Contemplating adding the other covers as well now.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just fitted the skid tray under the engine on my GTI - fitting those brackets is painful but was made doable by following Dave's excellent instructions:) Contemplating adding the other covers as well now.

"With great dexterity"....I think I wrote....:D

Easier than front bumper off to fit the brackets..:eek:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Anyone tried applying these covers for a performance application?
Improved top speed or quarter mile times?
Sounds like they could be used to reduce drag and improve track performance. I’d just be a little worried about increased heat.

If you read my first post you will find that most race cars & race styled road cars are totally flat/covered underside...Audi R8 & TT are more covered than our cars.

Most of the panels are designed for the car , VW chose not to fit then if the country importer states its not important to cut down the cost of buying (for them) so they can sell with a higher profit.

Many people have run the full metal skid trays on the older v6 MK4 golfs ok, let alone highly tuned 1.8T! Don't do a home made full exhaust tunnel cover, which is what one forum user did & posted earlier on this thread...he had heat problems.

The rear axle tray keeps the rear end down, even the short MK6 for the hatch which you will have to use (not the big Passat one). The front & rear exhaust tunnel trays are also very good...& I would do those.

You could fit the cheaper "aero" full cover for the engine bay instead of the skid tray, as if you don't like its not expensive.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
If you read my first post you will find that most race cars & race styled road cars are totally flat/covered underside...Audi R8 & TT are more covered than our cars.

Most of the panels are designed for the car , VW chose not to fit then if the country importer states its not important to cut down the cost of buying (for them) so they can sell with a higher profit.

Many people have run the full metal skid trays on the older v6 MK4 golfs ok, let alone highly tuned 1.8T! Don't do a home made full exhaust tunnel cover, which is what one forum user did & posted earlier on this thread...he had heat problems.

The rear axle tray keeps the rear end down, even the short MK6 for the hatch which you will have to use (not the big Passat one). The front & rear exhaust tunnel trays are also very good...& I would do those.

You could fit the cheaper "aero" full cover for the engine bay instead of the skid tray, as if you don't like its not expensive.

Thanks Dave. Had a quick re-read of the first post. Do you know the part number for the “aero” front tray? Definitely don’t want the 5kg one. Very keen to try the rear end cover.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Dave. Had a quick re-read of the first post. Do you know the part number for the “aero” front tray? Definitely don’t want the 5kg one. Very keen to try the rear end cover.

There are several types depending on the number of NACA ducts you want...

5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front

3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE I think)

5Q0 825 236M gives you NO vents so do not get!!

Both are full size trays & require the rear three bolts from the skid tray, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they use the existing small black screws...

I would double check with dealer parts dept. first

MrVaskis

Looks like photo from underside of Octavia, but most of parts are the same only I'm not sure about those two next to rear bumper.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looks like photo from underside of Octavia, but most of parts are the same only I'm not sure about those two next to rear bumper.
]

That's because it is MQB platform....& it gives the aero tray part number & not the skid tray number.

The rear two parts you cannot fit to the hatch as you don't have the room after the rear axle...& you cannot fit them to the Golf estate either..

The normal golf estate has from factory one panel already over the rear right side to cover the space for the dual outlet exhaust system from the "R". The other left hand panel which on the Octavia covers the exhaust tips cannot be used on the Golf estate as our exhaust has the muffler in this place...the Octavia has the muffler (rear box) where the rear suspension is...

I did thoroughly research this before I posted up the how to guides....we get the Octavia & Seat cars here also...& as basically a no go on those panels I did not mention them...

Nappy216

Ready to race!
I just ordered the 3q0 825 236 d splash try.

I've been thru all 13 pages of this thread twice and I keep missing the part number for the three bolts/screws used to mount the rear of the plate to the front cross member. (circled in the picture).

Can some one please help me identify the part number or size of the bolts/screws.
Thanks

Attachments

• GTI tray.jpg
    GTI tray.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,719

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just ordered the 3q0 825 236 d splash try.

I've been thru all 13 pages of this thread twice and I keep missing the part number for the three bolts/screws used to mount the rear of the plate to the front cross member. (circled in the picture).

Can some one please help me identify the part number or size of the bolts/screws.
Thanks

As the write up was initially about the skid tray the "aero only" tray was mentioned in passing..I suppose i'll have to include all those part numbers also....

anyway as its thinner you can get away with shorter bolts than the skid tray hence the different part number..

Item 10, WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,M8X20, 3 quant.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
As the write up was initially about the skid tray the "aero only" tray was mentioned in passing..I suppose i'll have to include all those part numbers also....

anyway as its thinner you can get away with shorter bolts than the skid tray hence the different part number..

Item 10, WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,M8X20, 3 quant.

Thank you for the part number and also for taking the time to put together such a detailed write up.