GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 07-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #35
makopolo

Drives: 2017 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
So from this thread, I guess the consensus is the R's brakes are good if you're a beginner or intermediate. But not so good for track experienced, late brakers?
ESC/brake assist Adaptations made a huge difference in brake feel and ability to modulate.
makopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #36
Cliff

Drives: 2015 Golf R with DSG, DCC & Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
So from this thread, I guess the consensus is the R's brakes are good if you're a beginner or intermediate. But not so good for track experienced, late brakers?

I'm thinking of reverting my track prepped MK6 GTI and going with a MK7 R. My stoptechs brake bleeder valves are seized to the caliper and I can't helicoil in new bleed screws according to Zechausen. I was thinking of getting a new bbk to replace the toasted calipers but maybe a R and a dedicated track car would be better?
I am a student running in the advanced groups (pre-approved for solo with the clubs I mostly run with) with 22 track days in the R and 40 overall. On Monday my shop will be installing TTRS air deflectors, removing the dust shields, heat-wrapping the brake and ABS lines, and installing a caliper bushing kit from ECS. I have had good success with Ferodo DS2500 pads. My R has a high output stage 1 APR tune, camber plates, a spring setup from Ground Control that has been corner balanced, and a thicker rear sway. I have been running 200 treadwear tires but I have a set of NT01's that will go on the car for a September event at Laguna Seca. I'll be finishing off some Star Specs at an event at The Ridge in WA next month.

I am not yet at the point where I feel that I need a BBK. I expect I will get to that point eventually, mostly driven by a wider selection of pads, but I'm not there yet. A $3500-$4000 investment is a big chunk of change and I want to be absolutely sure I can't make the stock brakes do what I need them to do before I make that investment.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #37
replicate

Drives: Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I am a student running in the advanced groups (pre-approved for solo with the clubs I mostly run with) with 22 track days in the R and 40 overall. On Monday my shop will be installing TTRS air deflectors, removing the dust shields, heat-wrapping the brake and ABS lines, and installing a caliper bushing kit from ECS. I have had good success with Ferodo DS2500 pads. My R has a high output stage 1 APR tune, camber plates, a spring setup from Ground Control that has been corner balanced, and a thicker rear sway. I have been running 200 treadwear tires but I have a set of NT01's that will go on the car for a September event at Laguna Seca. I'll be finishing off some Star Specs at an event at The Ridge in WA next month.

I am not yet at the point where I feel that I need a BBK. I expect I will get to that point eventually, mostly driven by a wider selection of pads, but I'm not there yet. A $3500-$4000 investment is a big chunk of change and I want to be absolutely sure I can't make the stock brakes do what I need them to do before I make that investment.
Didn't think they made bushing kits for Mk7 callipers. Link?
I've fitted TTRS air deflectors. Seems to do the trick with the dust covers off. Just needs a lot of dremmel work to fit and not rub on anything. I ended up just zip tying mine instead of using the OEM bots etc. As on the different LCAs the bolt hole doesn't put it in a very good position IMO.
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #38
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicate View Post
Didn't think they made bushing kits for Mk7 callipers. Link?
I've fitted TTRS air deflectors. Seems to do the trick with the dust covers off. Just needs a lot of dremmel work to fit and not rub on anything. I ended up just zip tying mine instead of using the OEM bots etc. As on the different LCAs the bolt hole doesn't put it in a very good position IMO.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...326ecs01-02kt/

I've seen similar comments/photos on the air deflectors. I've printed those out and will hand them over to my shop. I have a set of Superpro LCA's in the garage and I have a feeling they'll stay there until I sell them. I don't think I want as much caster as they add, and they will complicate the air deflector business.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #39
replicate

Drives: Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Quote:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...326ecs01-02kt/

I've seen similar comments/photos on the air deflectors. I've printed those out and will hand them over to my shop. I have a set of Superpro LCA's in the garage and I have a feeling they'll stay there until I sell them. I don't think I want as much caster as they add, and they will complicate the air deflector business.
Will be keen to hear your feedback on the bushing kit once fitted and tracked.
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #40
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicate View Post
Will be keen to hear your feedback on the bushing kit once fitted and tracked.
They don't fit the Mk7R and the ECS Tuning application guide is in error. Fortunately I am still within the 90 day window where I am eligible for a cash refund.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #41
edge04

Drives: a lot
are those intended to be for the rears? Haven't looked closely but seem more geared for the rears.

Quote:
They don't fit the Mk7R and the ECS Tuning application guide is in error. Fortunately I am still within the 90 day window where I am eligible for a cash refund.
edge04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 AM   #42
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge04 View Post
are those intended to be for the rears? Haven't looked closely but seem more geared for the rears.
The first answer on the Q&A tab says they are for the fronts only.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #43
edge04

Drives: a lot
I know but I wonder if they got that wrong. I'm doing brakes soon and will look

Quote:
The first answer on the Q&A tab says they are for the fronts only.
edge04 is offline   Reply With Quote