GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disgusting dirty oil

gr53716

Picked up a 'new' 2017 Golf R the other day. Demo car with with 2500 miles on it. Supposedly dealer's son drove the car for a bit. The 'Change Oil Now!' message appeared on engine start and shutdown. The dealer should have changed the oil before they delivered the car, but they didn't. So I drove the car for a few days before I brought it back for the oil change. However,when I checked the oil, it was black on the dipstick. I'm thinking the oil should be light honey colored--so light that it is difficult to see on the dipstick. The dealer gave me some line of crap about it--basically said it wasn't a problem. They gave me a sample of the oil--nasty, disgusting, coal-black-- and I'm going to send it off to be analyzed tomorrow.

So I guess my question is:

Has anyone else seen black oil in their Golf R?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 623

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Oil turns black after a few hundred miles, but more importantly, how old is the owner's son? Those 2,500 miles could have been hard miles. What's your warranty? Does it start when you bought the car or a year ago? I would have negotiated for the VW-branded "extended warranty" at dealer cost for as long as you plan to keep the car.

The dealer sounds honest, though, he could have said his wife drove the car. But then you'd know that was a lie. :) WAY back I looked a new Riviera the dealer said his wife drove. It was triple white. I was going to ask the dealer if his wife was a French whore. You older guys know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

zerocal1

Passed Driver's Ed
Typical for synthetic, and it means the additives are working well too. I'd change oil again in 5k if you are worried, then normal schedule after.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Curious how they gave you a sample of the oil? Most of the time the oil gets drained into a rather large barrel on wheels, so it may have many different types of oils in it.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Curious how they gave you a sample of the oil? Most of the time the oil gets drained into a rather large barrel on wheels, so it may have many different types of oils in it.

Picture them dipping the mouth of the bottle into the stream while it's draining...

The darker the better. It's synthetic relax.
Hmm, darker the better? Not sure where you get that one.

Picked up a 'new' 2017 Golf R the other day. Demo car with with 2500 miles on it. Supposedly dealer's son drove the car for a bit. The 'Change Oil Now!' message appeared on engine start and shutdown.
Was 2500 miles a typo? Why in the world does your car need an oil change that soon??

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

Oils have detergent properties and will get dark with mileage and use. If your oil isn't dark brown when you remove it you're changing your oil too soon. It's really only clear from the start.

Was 2500 miles a typo? Why in the world does your car need an oil change that soon??

Repeating what Diggs24 said, oil change reminders are either mileage based or time based. If it'd been a year since the oil was put in the car it would tell you to change the oil, since oil quality degrades over time too, not just mileage.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Picture them dipping the mouth of the bottle into the stream while it's draining...

Getting some oil while its draining makes perfect sense.

I guess I misunderstood the OP. The way I interpreted is that the dealer told him its normal but then ended up giving him a sample.

Martin398

Ready to race!
I got a oil change reminder on my GTI much earlier than mileage would indicate but as mentioned it was because of the build date. i had the dealer reset it at the time.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Oils have detergent properties and will get dark with mileage and use. If your oil isn't dark brown when you remove it you're changing your oil too soon. It's really only clear from the start.

Repeating what Diggs24 said, oil change reminders are either mileage based or time based. If it'd been a year since the oil was put in the car it would tell you to change the oil, since oil quality degrades over time too, not just mileage.
I understand how oil darkens, lol have changed oil a few hundred times in many many cars and trucks, but "the darker the better, it's synthetic relax" is somewhat of a goofy statement.

Look forward to seeing the OP deliver with his oil analysis.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I understand how oil darkens, lol have changed oil a few hundred times in many many cars and trucks, but "the darker the better, it's synthetic relax" is somewhat of a goofy statement.

Look forward to seeing the OP deliver with his oil analysis.

A lot of statements about oil are goofy, including the one that OP made about expecting his oil to be honey colored. Didn't mean to question your many experiences with oil changes.