GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 10-19-2017, 02:14 AM   #52
-Dutch-

Drives: 2017 Golf GTI SE
Last event of the year is coming up, just a couple of days away. I'm pumped!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #53
Chad1376

Drives: 2016 CSG GTI MT PP DCC
Something to think about..

A very experienced racer rode with me this weekend. He advised that I should always keep my hands at 3:00 and 9:00, and only move my right hand during a shift.

I knew this, but didn't realize I had fallen into sloppy habits by moving my hands all over the wheel. Fixing my bad habit did help with the feel and fine control of the car.
Chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #54
RacingManiac

Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Shuffling or not seems to be a preference thing. I've seen really fast people who shuffle and really fast people who don't.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #55
-Dutch-

I don't generally shuffle on the street or track, but 9 and 3 just doesn't work for me on this wheel. It feels horrible. 10 and 2 with thumbs on the contours.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #56
-Dutch-

Today was a ton of fun. Very challenging as we ran in the opposite direction from the last two times I went so it was a completely different course but still a great time. I was part of the first run group and was in 2nd place for novices at the end of it but got busted down to 6th after the other run went. I didn't improve in the afternoon and ended up in 8th out of 16 novices but I beat my time goals and was the quickest of 3 GTI's there today so I'm very happy. I also scored a t-shirt.

Tires are an absolute must. Next year I'll be running with the intermediate group and with my current traction I will be at the back of the pack without a doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of skill I have when I don't have to constantly worry about understeer. In certain areas I'm able to flick the rear and gun it to pull myself through small transitions but decreasing radius corners are my nemesis at this point.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #57
victorofhavoc

Drives: '16 GTI
A lot of novice drivers I see are very hard on the brakes and very late too. Auto-x is very different from other auto racing. Be on the brakes sooner and just enough to slow down, not enough to drop below turbo threshold. "There is an egg between your foot and the brake, don't crush it"

Keep it tight, no need to go wide in AutoX since you don't carry massive speed. If you have to go 10 feet out, you'll have to go 10 feet in, and when you're always turning that can cost you valuable tenths.

These specific cars rotate well with brake modulation and the front end pulling you out, but the turbo does create some lag, so anticipate it and roll onto the throttle as you're letting off the brake. This takes practice, but once mastered can save you as much as 200ms every corner. (Yes this means learn to left foot brake )

As you mentioned, tires tires tires. Look at Tirerack's "tread width" for different brands and sizes. That's an actual measurement from Tirerack and not some manufacturer specific thing that makes no sense. with the stock 7.5" rim, the ideal size is a 7.5" tread width, but you can go as high as 0.5" over that and still be okay. The max width the stock fenders will take is 8.5" tread width. You can even squeeze 9" if you're really ambitious, but that takes suspension mods, the right camber, and some other things. 8.5" will allow for any alignment, but I digress. On stock, shoot for 8" wide tread width, and you should find some solid tires. example: 235/40/18 RE71R or 225/40/18 Ventus RS4. Direzza Z2 SS are good if you want more life out of your tires, and can almost keep up with the re71r. On an actual track they best the re71, because they can handle more heat for longer. Trade-offs... They run very wide though!! 225/40 on the Z2 is 8.5" wide.

Great to see you're enjoying yourself!! Have fun out there!!!
victorofhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #58
imapirrana

Drives: 17' GTI Autobahn
I'm trying to find if there's any auto-x school near me in socal, but I can't find anything. I'm cool with spending a couple hundred bucks to learn some proper techniques than pick up bad ones by learning on my own.

Any of you know any schools in socal or did all of you just dive right in and learned on your own?
imapirrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #59
Mugzy

It is very tempting to try auto-x, but I know I will get hooked and I also worry about my insurance finding out. I have seen stories of people getting their policy canceled because their insurance company found out about their auto-x runs.
Mugzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #60
dood.

Drives: 2017 GTI S DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapirrana View Post
I'm trying to find if there's any auto-x school near me in socal, but I can't find anything. I'm cool with spending a couple hundred bucks to learn some proper techniques than pick up bad ones by learning on my own.

Any of you know any schools in socal or did all of you just dive right in and learned on your own?

My local SCCA region, San Diego, is having a novice school on May 12th. I think the local BMW club also puts on similar events. Not sure where you’re at in SoCal but here’s a link to the SD SCCA schedule in case you’re interested http://sdrscca.com/solo-schedule/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #61
victorofhavoc

Drives: '16 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post
It is very tempting to try auto-x, but I know I will get hooked and I also worry about my insurance finding out. I have seen stories of people getting their policy canceled because their insurance company found out about their auto-x runs.
I have been autocrossing for 5 years and have never heard anyone say this. In fact, every one of the insurance companies I've had, I have told I autocross; none have had issues with it. A weekend SCCA membership still has the standard insurance coverage (accidental injury) included too btw: https://www.motorsportreg.com/help/k...kendMembership

I have heard stories of people doing dumb things and wrecking their cars, then driving down the road and calling the police to file a claim outside of the venue. That's just fraud, and as much as I hate the idea of for-profit insurance companies, I think those people should have their insurance taken away...
victorofhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #62
RacingManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapirrana View Post

http://evoschool.com/

Looks like they got a few events out in California this season...

I'd only recommend EvoSchool for someone with a bit of experience to start with though.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #63
RacingManiac

https://www.scca.com/pages/sl-autocross

This is pricier but more beginner friendly I think. Only at Crows Landing though.

As someone mentioned your local region's novice school tend to be the best bang for the buck on this kind of training.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #64
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
on that school thing, best thing I did was find an experienced co-driver who needed a car for events. Happened totally by chance. He gives me tips and coaching, I pay him back with wear and tear on my car and tires for his runs. It's helped a lot.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #65
Chad1376

Drives: 2016 CSG GTI MT PP DCC
While a school or dedicated "coach" would be very helpful, don't let that prevent you from just going out and running. There's beginners at every event, and lots of people willing to let you do ride-alongs, or hop in your car to help you navigate the course and give driving tips.
Chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #66
RacingManiac

School is great to get more runs, most events won't get as many runs. More seat time is better...
Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #67
imapirrana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood. View Post
My local SCCA region, San Diego, is having a novice school on May 12th. I think the local BMW club also puts on similar events. Not sure where you’re at in SoCal but here’s a link to the SD SCCA schedule in case you’re interested http://sdrscca.com/solo-schedule/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the IE right now, but I"m in SD often since my GF is there right now so this would have been perfect! BUT I have a wedding in portland that day

Thanks for the find though!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #68
imapirrana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
http://evoschool.com/

Looks like they got a few events out in California this season...

I'd only recommend EvoSchool for someone with a bit of experience to start with though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
https://www.scca.com/pages/sl-autocross

This is pricier but more beginner friendly I think. Only at Crows Landing though.

As someone mentioned your local region's novice school tend to be the best bang for the buck on this kind of training.
Both of those are in norcal, but I may consider if I really want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1376 View Post
While a school or dedicated "coach" would be very helpful, don't let that prevent you from just going out and running. There's beginners at every event, and lots of people willing to let you do ride-alongs, or hop in your car to help you navigate the course and give driving tips.
Yup, if I don't find a school that I can attend in the first half of the year, I'll probably just go and just see how it goes!