GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC LIGHT keeps coming on randomly

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've noticed since I bought my golf that after about 10,000km it would have an occasional maybe once a month (if that)problem with hesitation. Couldn't figure out what was going on but everytime it happened I was starting to turn a corner from a standstill and not even giving it hard throttle. EPC light would turn on and Flash until I took my foot off the gas and stay on until I turn off the car even though the car would balance itself out and drive normal. Looking into some other threads I found guys mention it to be an issue with the shape of our fuel tank and running low on fuel which yes a couple of those times I was running around a 1/4 tank. Most recent time was last month when I was going in a straight line from an intersection with 1/2 a tank of gas and it hesitates and misfired hard as it would when the EPC light flashed the other times, so I let my foot off the gas for a second and put it back on and the car drove fine. I thought about taking it into the dealership but they want to charge me to do a full inspection on the car which I wasn't sure if that is normal when the car is still under warranty. Is it normal for them to charge $180 cad for an inspection before knowing whether or not its warranty related?
Any other ideas on what it could be?

This what obd11 pulled up when I scanned it each of the times it threw the epc light.
OBDeleven data log

Date: 2017-12-22 12:46

VIN: 3VW217AU6GM066170
Car: Volkswagen Golf
Year: 2016
Body type: 5-dr hatchback
Engine: CXBB 125 kW (170 HP) 1.8 l
Mileage: 45801 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine

System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI
Software number: 8V0906264F
Software version: 0004
Hardware number: 06K907425B
Hardware version: H13
ODX name: EV_ECM18TFS0208V0906264F
ODX version: 001004
Long coding: 091A00122424002F1000

Trouble codes:
P130A00 - Hide cylinder
Intermittent
P013E00 - O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Delayed Response - Rich to Lean
static
Date: 2017-12-22 12:39:12
Mileage: 45800 km
Priority: 2
Malfunction frequency counter: 1
Unlearning counter: 255
Engine speed: 1653.75 1/min
Normed load value: 38.0 %
Vehicle speed: 89 km/h
Coolant temperature: 96 °C
Intake air temperature: 3 °C
Ambient air pressure: 940 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.472 V
Dynamic environmental data: 20962810C00468141CF59A144800381424FFFE10BE014D10A49410BC33BF
P03AF00 - Cylinder 3 Pressure Too High
Intermittent
P03A500 - Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High
Intermittent

Last edited:

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
It does this whether I run premium or regular gas and regardless of what gas station it comes from.

Sandberg84

I would not think they should charge you if it is the regular new car warranty everything should be covered.

They charged us (then refunded) for an inspection on an 07 GTI High Pressure fuel pump because that was an extended warranty and if it was not the HPFP there was no warranty.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's overboost. You are running a downpipe with no tune. Stock ecu parameters are not adjusted for it. Does it happen at the point of shifting?

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
It's overboost. You are running a downpipe with no tune. Stock ecu parameters are not adjusted for it. Does it happen at the point of shifting?

No it's not at shifts points it's almost right after I press the accelerator the engine does it around 1500-2300ish rpm still in first gear and it's when I'm only applying 30%-60% throttle. It just feels like it hit a rev limiter until I release the throttle and try again.

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have an O2 spacer on your DP?

Yes I have the cts dp and installed the cts 90° spacer same time as dp but about once a month I clear the check engine light when it throws the o2 sensor code. I installed the dp when the car had about 500 km on it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can't remember the make, but a certain one usually doesn't throw a light. And did you check for leaks at the ends of the DP?

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't remember the make, but a certain one usually doesn't throw a light. And did you check for leaks at the ends of the DP?

Ya i know i have a small leak right in front of the resonator, clamp is just a bit loose. But I didn't think that leak there would cause any issues with upstream sensors.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Mine has done the exact same thing a few times since I've owned it. Same codes as you reported. Stock 1.8 engine, MY 2016. It isn't super common, but has been reported a few times on various forums.

I haven't bothered taking it to the dealership because all I'm going to get out of them is "we've never seen this before" "we don't know how to fix it" "let us sand your paint down with our complimentary car wash service". I'll just live with it.

Last edited:

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine has done the exact same thing a few times since I've owned it. Same codes as you reported. Stock 1.8 engine, MY 2016. It isn't super common, but has been reported a few times on various forums.

I haven't bothered taking it to the dealership because all I'm going to get out of them is "we've never seen this before" "we don't know how to fix it" "let us sand your paint down with our complimentary car wash service". I'll just live with it.

Ya that's why I haven't bothered taking it in yet. I'm wondering if when I tune it in the future if this hiccup will disappear.