GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheapest Dealer in the US

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Why would VW or a dealer care about where someone lives when buying a car? And give better pricing to locals?

It has nothing to do with VW and just another way for those dealers to milk money from the customer. At that point, many out of state people were buying vehicles from them because of their pricing and i think those dealers just got little greedy.

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
It has nothing to do with VW and just another way for those dealers to milk money from the customer. At that point, many out of state people were buying vehicles from them because of their pricing and i think those dealers just got little greedy.

They could be lying but I think some car manufacturers do give more incentives to move cars in different parts of the country.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
They could be lying but I think some car manufacturers do give more incentives to move cars in different parts of the country.

DC area dealers were charging additonal $500 for non local buyers sometime back this year and this charge has vanished recently. Based on my understanding that has nothing to do with VW and i am not sure how this can be lying.

If VW is offering incentives to dealers in certain part of the country, i would asssume it to be effective for a certain period of time. Those dealers have great pricing all the year around and i have seen it for close to two years.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

You are correct; most manufacturers offer different incentives depending on region, or in some cases, metro area. Most VW incentives are national, though they have started introducing regional bonus cash on certain models (to my knowledge, GTI is not currently one of them). The regional bonus cash is based on the selling dealer, so if you're willing to travel, you could save an extra $500 on a Jetta. Nissan, on the other hand, offers varying incentives that depend on where the car is registered, so a customer who lives in the Detroit area may get more cash on an Altima than someone who lives in Cleveland. Toyota incentives are all regional, and their regions are divided along state lines. Audi separate their incentive programs into 4 main regions, though we find that most months, they're largely the same. Ford and GM tend to get geographically specific when dividing up their incentive cash, though GM has recently started offering more VIN-specific incentives, which helps dealers get rid of older inventory.

As to why the DC-area dealers are always advertising lower prices, I'd have to do more research, because I am unaware of any additional regional incentives on GTI, and even if there were any, they'd be available in a wider geographic area. I suspect that the dealers offering the lowest prices are also including some of their marketing allowances and other hidden cash incentives (these are not published on their internal networks and instead communicated directly to their dealers), which they are allowed to do if they choose, much like the national dealer cash program.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
This.

The first place I went to had the best price, as it turns out, right off the bat--no playing around. Cheaper than the Costco price, even, by a few hundo. It was based on me bringing the money in one way or another. I had a $10K trade, so I financed the rest.

So not only were they the cheapest (and that included they gave a VERY competitive trade price), they also found me 1.86% financing for 60 months. That's pretty much same-as-cash. After the dealership get paid for brokering the deal, I don't know how Capital One makes any money on that.

I was not unhappy, although I'm old enough to think that even $30K for a hatchback of any flavor is a whole buncha money. Why, I paid $12,700 for my '92 Civic Si.

Now get off my lawn.

I found several dealers within a few hours drive that were advertising prices lower than TrueCar, because they're willing to throw almost all the incentive cash at the deal, and make it up with their volume bonus and in other ways. By the time I got the dealer down to the price I calculated, they added the stipulation that even though I was planning to finance through a local CU, I was to let them submit the application so they could get the origination fee or whatever they call it.

1992 Civic Si... That was a great car. Those had the split rear hatch, didn't they? Back then, Honda wasn't willing to sell us their best stuff, which is a shame because the rest of the world got that car with the 160hp B16 and LSD.

wantone

Ready to race!
As to why the DC-area dealers are always advertising lower prices, I'd have to do more research, because I am unaware of any additional regional incentives on GTI, and even if there were any, they'd be available in a wider geographic area. I suspect that the dealers offering the lowest prices are also including some of their marketing allowances and other hidden cash incentives (these are not published on their internal networks and instead communicated directly to their dealers), which they are allowed to do if they choose, much like the national dealer cash program.

DC dealers no matter the manufacturer seem to have the lowest pricing in the entire country. Not 100% but close. One would think Los Angeles with their massive market would be the lowest, but definitely not the case. As far as VW, some think VWOA being based in the area lowers the costs. No matter, even with low internet pricing, you still have to add in delivery fee and doc fee to any dealer internet pricing. This again isn't limited to VW. ALL dealers do this in this area.

On a side note, we know VW dealers in the DC area usually do NOT accept any $500 coupon for SCCA etc. (The few that do, or reject and not apply you're fine.) Yet apply it to VWOA for their own discount without passing on to customer. For any dealers in the area reading this thread, you're in for a class action lawsuit because of this. We know who you are. Get ready. It's coming. PM me if you have any questions.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
DC dealers no matter the manufacturer seem to have the lowest pricing in the entire country. Not 100% but close. One would think Los Angeles with their massive market would be the lowest, but definitely not the case. As far as VW, some think VWOA being based in the area lowers the costs.

In an indirect way, that's probably correct. Transportation/delivery charges are averaged so they're the same no matter where you buy the car, and the dealer invoice price is technically the same for every dealer... But, with VWOA in their backyard, the local dealers will be selling a ton of cars at employee price, and also delivering vehicles as part of the VW corporate lease program, which has terms as short as 6 months. All those count as new vehicle deliveries, which effectively gives those dealers a higher volume bonus per unit than dealers in other parts of the country, and you can bet they're including some of that bonus money in their low advertised prices.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Thanks, this thread is great. Still trying to find a killer price on a 17 sport, seems like 22.5 is the target but I'd like to try and beat that.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
No question, you can get a great price on a GTI these days: $5k off the MSRP for anyone with a pulse. There is another aspect to this however. Eventually, you're going to want to sell your V-Dub, and when you do you're going to find that manufacturer's discounting these cars for $5k-$7k absolutely kicks the $*** out of the value of the car.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
No question, you can get a great price on a GTI these days: $5k off the MSRP for anyone with a pulse. There is another aspect to this however. Eventually, you're going to want to sell your V-Dub, and when you do you're going to find that manufacturer's discounting these cars for $5k-$7k absolutely kicks the $*** out of the value of the car.

Not necessarily, because VW never officially discounted the GTI to the public. Most of these dealers low advertised prices are primarily their $3,500 dealer cash incentive, which is not advertised as a consumer special. Were it done as consumer cash, that would be a different story; the only official discounts from VW to the consumer were the $1000 special APR cash, and the occasional seasonal bonus cash offer (e.g. $500 holiday cash currently available).

Sites like KBB.com and Edmunds do factor in the average new car transaction price, but that's not going to matter as much as the fact that the GTI is an enthusiast vehicle that people want, and also it was never sold to any rental car companies. Rental fleets are why a Ford Focus is worthless after 2 years.