GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No, I believe it's the exact same.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
All JB4 units for the golf, gti and R are the same. They will work on any one of them

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

kkingma

Ready to race!
I bought a used Rev 1 JB1 for my Golf (arrives tomorrow). So I downloaded the JB4 windows software and new firmware file.

In order to update the firmware and set the map to 1, I need this installed on my car? Or can I do this before I install it?

Can you believe I work in IT?! [emoji6]

kkingma

Ready to race!
I bought a used Rev 1 JB1 for my Golf (arrives tomorrow). So I downloaded the JB4 windows software and new firmware file.

In order to update the firmware and set the map to 1, I need this installed on my car? Or can I do this before I install it?

Can you believe I work in IT?! [emoji6]

You have to have the unit installed on the car and ignition on.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
If I have a group 1 unit can it be reprogramed with the BMS cable to become a group 3?

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I finally upgraded my JB1 to JB4 and put it back in the car yesterday. My initial impression of map one is that the JB4 delivers the power in a much more linear way than the JB1. It feels very smooth, and very similar to my Mk6 GTI. I also noticed that the new torque curve fixed a flat spot that the JB1 had, one that was apparent when accelerating uphill in 3rd gear at 3,000 or so RPM. I'm liking it very much.

Out of habit, I connected the crank position sensor to the JB4, which I understand is unecessary on this unit. Will this cause any problems, or will it simply function as a pass-through?

abracadabra1

Passed Driver's Ed
BMS Cable Routing in 1.8T

A couple of questions, some JB1 related; others JB4 related (though upgrading from JB1):

1. Does anyone have a guide that shows how to route the BMS cable from the JB1 to the interior of the vehicle (i.e. MDI connector compartment, glovebox, etc.)?

2. What's the purpose of the ODB connector on the JB4?