GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replicate's AU "40 Years" Clubsport

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
First championship round was last weekend. Unfortunately it was a disappointing weekend. With lots of excuses (it's never you right?) :p

Best time was 1:56.7 which is disappointing as i ran 1:56.6 in my regular GTI last year.
Being in a group based on last years times made that very difficult. Even more so when you have selfish drivers in front of you with no intention of letting you pass and flag marshals that forget completely what a blue flag is. Except of course when you decide to back off the selfish prick in front of you to get some space. But to be waved a blue when the car behind you gets anywhere near you... :confused:

My competition for the season:
Megan Trophy R 275 running on PSC2 (was 3 seconds faster)
Lotus Elise S (was only 0.1 faster but he will get much much faster i'm sure)

EBC Reds were rubbish (as i expected) with smoke pouring off them after each session.
Factory PZEROs were terrible. Even after dropping about 14psi out of them. I think they still ran too hot. They were only good for the first two laps then just greased over.

Was told that my removal of real seats was illegal in the class. Which is bullshit. This is word for word from the tech regs

The driver’s seat may be replaced with a non-standard seat that is commercially available and permitted in a Road Registered vehicle. The front passenger’s seat may also be replaced provided that the replacement seat is equivalent to or better than the seat replacing the driver’s seat. Seat supports may be modified to enable fitment of an allowable replacement seat. Any rear seat or seats may be removed.

They reckon that only applies to the base of the seat and not the back. I say if thats their intention, then write it that way.

After the strip, tools still to be removed.

Something interesting i found. Had to drill out this pop rivet which held together the missile seat belt and the socket. Couldn't remove the rear seat without doing that. It wasn't present on my 2015. But no drama.

Also fitted my Schroth Quick fit harness.

Finished product, although taken a week later.

Next event is a 6 hour regularity race next month. Will hopefully have by then:
New wheels
Semi slicks. Either PSC2 or R888R. Leaning towards R88R right now due to the price. Can get them quite a bit cheaper than PSC2.
Carbotech XP10 pads
Protective front wrap
A wheel alignment

Last edited:
Hope you had a nice time nonetheless, dude. :)

Semi slicks. Either PSC2 or R888R. Leaning towards R88R right now due to the price. Can get them quite a bit cheaper than PSC2.
Your fine with either of them if you plan on driving them on track.
The PSC2 will also ride ok on the street as long as it doesn't rain
that much and/or you drive carefully in the rain.
Contarily the R888R is a bit noisy, causing some interior drone, as
owners report.
Very sad that the P Zero Trofeo R is so awfully expensive, as this
seems to be the most sticky of the more current gen semislicks. ;)

On a side note, did you consider running Pagid RS29 or Ferodo DS
Uno pads? :confused:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie

owners report.

Yes of course! Was still lots of fun. I'd rather be on the track and be the slowest car there than not be there at all.

Yes it's a shame the Trofeo R is so expensive. In 19" sizes it sure does seem to be the gun tyre. More of a shame they don't make A050s z221's or V70A's in anything larger than an 18. A050's seem to be the pick over here right now, boasting quick times and ability to heat cycle well, down to the treads.

Only $200 or so between a set of Michelin or Toyo so I'm a bit conflicted still.

Haven't looked at either of those pads yet. Appreciate the recommendation, I will look into them.

Running a dedicated set of 17" wheels is the most cost-efficient. Street
tires don't like tracking, semislicks don't like daily driving.
PZTR, MPSC2 and TR88R are all available in 17" sizes on 'some' markets.
There is a German semislick tire review I came across recently. If you're
willing to use Google translator I'll have a look for that review, dude.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately in my class I need to stick with the factory wheel size. Yes even if going smaller. So I'm stuck with the 19" options. That being said, they are still pretty good choice. Strange thing is, they don't seem to sell MPSC2 in anything smaller than 19 here. Makes sense knowing the cars it comes standard on.

Yes, if you can find the link again I'll get my translate on. I've actually been searching a lot on line for decent information on which tyre is quicker and which wears better. A more difficult task than I thought. Lots of opinions, not many facts.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie

owners report.

Been looking into pads more. Options are pretty limited. The DS UNO isn't made for our caliper, only DS2500.

Local supplier for race cars can only get the following:
Pagid RSL2 and RSL29
Endless MX72 and CCRg

The CCRg Sounds good. Pretty expensive though.
Still waiting on postage price of the carbotech pads

One more point if you plan on getting the PSC2s. They're made in either Porsche
spec (N0 - N4, not sure at the moment) or without. I remember the CSS came
with Porsche spec PSC2s from factory, and that's been for a reason, probably
stronger sidewalls. VW seem to prefer the Porsche spec PSC2s, and so would I.

While I was searching for tire spec I came across some really strong pictures:

More of that:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...rt-und-clubsport-s-im-supertest-11450870.html

;)

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
These arrived this week. Sitting in my office until i can afford to buy rubber! They are in great nick. Came off an S3. Still amazed i got them for such a great price.

Also got the car clear wrapped this week. I already copped a few stone chips and burn marks from the track the other week. Couldn't let that continue. The product is called Stonegard i think. Self healing plastic apparently. Got the entire front done. Bonnet (hood), front bar, front guards, headlights, side mirrors, a-pillars and first section of the roof.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Ended up ordering Endless MX72 pads. Cheaper than the CCRG and was advised they would suit my purposes more.
I'm on a mission now to improve the cooling to the brakes. As I can't afford $400 every second month for pads. Hoping I get a chance this weekend to fit to TTRS air guides. When the new pads arrive I think I'm going to take off the rotor dust covers.

Also wanting to buy the LCA rear bushes. However I haven't found an online store the both ships to Australia and has them for a decent price. Cars245 had them for 30 euro each. Other sites are half that but don't ship.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Update for build

MX72 didn't arrive in time for the last event back in May. So I entered with the stock pads. I did install the TTRS brake air guides with a lot of modification from the dremmel.

With stock pads and tyres I wasn't expecting much in the way of times. Not really trusting the pads I was lifting early and braking way earlier than I normally would. But to my surprise I actually did quite well.

My previous best time for this track in the regular GTI on stock tyres and shit pads was 1:14.6. In the Clubsport I managed a 1:11.4 which broke the class record. Just a shame that a Trophy R with its factory adjustable Ohlins and R888Rs ran a 1:10.5. That being said I'm very happy with only being a second off.