GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Tune???

Bakz88

So my MK7 GTI Performance is now a year old, thinking its time to upgrade a few areas.

Thinking of lowering with spacers and maybe a bit of wrapping etc.

But tuning, I've never been so confused, so far i figure my options are - DT box, COBB, JB1, JB4, or remap. Are there more?

So questions to each one of the options.

1. What are the average gains?
2. What are the Pros/Cons?
3. Can they all be picked up by dealer?
4. Im in the Uk, and struggling to compare prices with various dealers. What is the current best price available?

Apologise if this all sounds a bit stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mk72015

Ready to race!
gains are any where between 40whp-90+whp and lots of torque lol

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
I would caution not going after the most torque but what is smoother transient boost response. GIAC and United Motorsports have a smoother map program and is tuned for longevity without sacrifice of power. But if you want the fastest biggest number in horsepower and torque APR takes the cake. If you want to join the extra special snowflake crowd, then Cobb welcomes you with open arms. :D This is just my observation and opinion. If Cobb did not come out with AP for platform I would of went GIAC then realizing I wasted money because my plans have changed and I wanted a big turbo then go United. So if you plan to do big turbo and don't want to use Cobb then United Motorsports is the only option in the US.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
All of the flash tunes can be detected by a dealer (Cobb, Uni, ED, UM, etc). The piggybacks (JB1/4, NPM, Dinan) aren't detected as long as you unplug it before dealer visits.

Average gains: speed and power
Pros: speed, power, and general awesomeness
Cons: voided warranty with flash tune, extra wear and tear on parts with both
Other: need to do supporting mods where applicable, get ready to go down the rabbit hole
Price: varies by country, tuner, and vendor

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
All of the flash tunes can be detected by a dealer (Cobb, Uni, ED, UM, etc). The piggybacks (JB1/4, NPM, Dinan) aren't detected as long as you unplug it before dealer visits.

Reggie Pls Reggie. This is false. The way Cobb installs and flashes is different from anything else on the market. I've been thru 3 ELSA Pro sessions. The car has been flashed over 17 times. The AP has been uninstalled 3 times. Not that I have anything to hide but no need to give some random lazy VWoA rep who is at a remote location a reason or the opportunity to stiff a customer and dealer for unrelated mods in question with a warranty repair.

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
Reggie Pls Reggie. This is false. The way Cobb installs and flashes is different from anything else on the market. I've been thru 3 ELSA Pro sessions. The car has been flashed over 17 times. The AP has been uninstalled 3 times. Not that I have anything to hide but no need to give some random lazy VWoA rep who is at a remote location a reason or the opportunity to stiff a customer and dealer for unrelated mods in question with a warranty repair.
+1

OP: how far down the rabbit hole you want to go will also influence your choice. I personally run a Cobb Protune, and love their product.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
So my MK7 GTI Performance is now a year old, thinking its time to upgrade a few areas.

Thinking of lowering with spacers and maybe a bit of wrapping etc.

But tuning, I've never been so confused, so far i figure my options are - DT box, COBB, JB1, JB4, or remap. Are there more?

So questions to each one of the options.

1. What are the average gains?
2. What are the Pros/Cons?
3. Can they all be picked up by dealer?
4. Im in the Uk, and struggling to compare prices with various dealers. What is the current best price available?

Apologise if this all sounds a bit stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.

OP is in the U.K. Not sure if the accessport is available there for the mk7.

Oh lort. Ok then of course the best choice over the pond is MRC for tuning.. http://www.mrctuning.com/

Or Revo http://www.revotechnik.com/

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

So you are saying the Cobb is undetectable once the tune has been removed. Those are some big claims

Bawlti

Ready to race!
What are you saying?

How can you flash differently? Tunes leave tracks, period. Otherwise, explain.

You haven't been detected because VW didn't do a deep search on your car. I can say the same if I flash my car back to stock with Uniconnect.

2015 PP GTI DSG | Unitronic stage 2 ECU & TCU

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes

You might want to check on some things, they use more than just ELSA now. Pretty sure the new scan's name starts with a D.

EDIT: Just looked it up. The new scan is called ODIS, and can detect ECU flashes.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showVasStepByStep01.do

http://us.ecutool.com/New-Generation-VAS-5054A-with-ODIS-Diagnostic-System-for-Volkswagen_10968.html

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

This is false. The tunes are detectable these days. Not a single tuner has been able to fully hide the flash counts even when they reset the counter to 0. In the Cobb thread someone straight up asked Marshall if it is detectable and he completely side stepped the question and only answered part of the other question in the same post.

I think that is a pretty safe bet that this is also detectable. But heck I've had APR and now have Cobb, it's a choice you have to make and live with any sort of consequences that may come from it.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
This is what Cobb told me when I asked them about the Flash Counter.

"Hey there! Upon Uninstall, the flash counter will be returned to whatever it was before you installed the Accessport.

Marshall@COBB"

dlau9

Go Kart Champion

You did go in for warranty on the intake manifold right? I'm assuming no issues when you unmarried the cobb?