GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 vs. HPA dogbone mount- performance improvement vs Vibration

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Dude my car is loving it, so I am loving it! Still feels the same as the day it went in, no break-in changes or anything. Just firm. Quiet.

It arrived yesterday. Hefty sum bitch -- much bigger than I was expecting. Nice construction. Not looking forward to the actual install tho. :eek:

MikeS123

Installed my Revo mount yesterday. Wasn't too bad except as everyone has experienced the tool was useless to get the OEM bushing out. I was able to use it to get the Revo mount in though. I have only driven with it once for a short period but I can barely notice any increase in NHV.

Vincenz

Ready to race!
Installed the 034 motorsports dogbone insert. Easy, took 10 minutes. It instantly makes the drivetrain feel more "connected" to the chassis. As if there's less springiness or play when getting on and off the throttle hard. It especially helps in Sport mode, but less under normal Drive. By far the best 50 bucks I've spent on the car so far, right next to obdeleven.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Installed the 034 motorsports dogbone insert. Easy, took 10 minutes. It instantly makes the drivetrain feel more "connected" to the chassis. As if there's less springiness or play when getting on and off the throttle hard. It especially helps in Sport mode, but less under normal Drive. By far the best 50 bucks I've spent on the car so far, right next to obdeleven.
The ease of installation is a great feature of the 034 no doubt, I didn't even lift the car when I had mine in, reached my arm under the car with a 1/2 drive air ratchet and held on tight. I am giving mine away to a friend who still needs liberated.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Just installed a CTS billet insert. Feels great right off the bat, and is a couple dollars less than the 034. Got it from Modded Euros :D

B95zP

Ready to race!
Revo does increase NVH(duh;) )

• Start up - Rougher, but not obnoxious
  • Idle - Slight, and mainly felt in the steering wheel. No noticeable increase to the passengers.
  • Cruising @ 40MPH - This is where I dislike it. If you are cruising and accelerate slightly the car feels awful. With my DSG in D, and it's eternal quest to drive in 6th gear, the car lugs something fierce. Not a pleasant feeling.
I'm curious how it will feel come Summer time and running the AC more.

Install.

I'm not sure why DAP had so much trouble. Overall the tool is meh, I almost think it over complicates the install. I have a larger ECode FSB so I had to lower my subframe for the tool to fit. When hammering the top half of the OE mount back into place, you HAVE to hit it square on or it goes nowhere.

Crawled under the car the other day and I noticed the bolt didn't appear to be sitting flush, there looked to be a bit of deflection of the material. Didn't have my phone to snap a pic, but I want to go back and retorque the bolt.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Revo does increase NVH(duh;) )

• Start up - Rougher, but not obnoxious
  • Idle - Slight, and mainly felt in the steering wheel. No noticeable increase to the passengers.
  • Cruising @ 40MPH - This is where I dislike it. If you are cruising and accelerate slightly the car feels awful. With my DSG in D, and it's eternal quest to drive in 6th gear, the car lugs something fierce. Not a pleasant feeling.
I'm curious how it will feel come Summer time and running the AC more.

Install.

I'm not sure why DAP had so much trouble. Overall the tool is meh, I almost think it over complicates the install. I have a larger ECode FSB so I had to lower my subframe for the tool to fit. When hammering the top half of the OE mount back into place, you HAVE to hit it square on or it goes nowhere.

Crawled under the car the other day and I noticed the bolt didn't appear to be sitting flush, there looked to be a bit of deflection of the material. Didn't have my phone to snap a pic, but I want to go back and retorque the bolt.

Hm. Hoping these woes are bc of you having dsg. I am still holding tight to Panzer's impressions. Still have to install it. Guess I'll just cut the stock one out.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Hm. Hoping these woes are bc of you having dsg. I am still holding tight to Panzer's impressions. Still have to install it. Guess I'll just cut the stock one out.
I already had BFI Stage 2 mounts in when I installed the Revo, so my car sounded the same because any NVH those make is twice as much(maybe more) than anything the Revo makes. I noticed my car got quieter at idle when I removed the BFI insert, and went Revo. Significant decrease. Going from nothing to Revo, may offer some increase in NVH.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Not yet, but I will be getting a replacement mount from HPA, Revo, VWR, or Super Pro.

For the engine and transmission mounts I'll likely go with 034's mounts since they use rubber. So NVH is oem like. The plus side of them is they fill the voids with rubber to limit engine/transmission movement :cool:

I'll certainly consider other engine & transmission mounts as well. Lots of opinions out there for sure!

Very interested in your thoughts on them :cool:

A quick follow up on this post...

I went with the 034 density line
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

NVH is stock like. Even with the stock dogbone there's a noticeable difference with shifting feeling more secure.

Something that I didn't expect...
Going over bumps and such on the highway the front end doesn't bounce around as much. Feels more planted.

My opinion is to get the 034 mounts that if you are after stiffer engine and transmission mounts with a miniscule amount of NVH (only feel a small difference at startup).

Very OEM+ feeling!

I ran my car with the 034 mounts for about a month or so. Ordered the HPA Motorsports mount around the same time as the 034 mounts. They didn't get installed at the same time because #1 I wanted to see how they felt with each step. #2 HPA must have had a mad rush of orders because their machine shop was swamped. Took them a solid month to get the mount to my door :eek:

I'm actually glad it worked out like that. Gave me a chance to get used to the 034 mounts. They made a good difference by themselves, but I still had wheel hop. Shifting also still felt a tad sloppy between gears. There really is a lot of drive train movement with that OEM dog bone mount.

Rewind to Saturday afternoon. I had the HPA mount installed by a local indy shop (shout out to Country Dubs). After install the tech that installed it was shocked at just how little NVH there was. With the AC on you feel a little bit of a vibe. But it's not bad.

Put it like this, you'd never know that I had and aftermarket mounts in the car, let alone all three unless the car is idling with the AC on. The only other time that you'd notice is when I start the car. I finally feel the car come alive in the drivers seat. :cool:

Shifting feels much better with much less drive train movement.

In the end I got exactly what I was going for. Something that blurs the line of aftermarket and OEM feeling. Well done HPA Motorsports! And well done 034Motorsport. These three mounts really came together very well!

For anyone familiar with the e46 3 series... The stock GTI mounts are too forgiving. Kinda like a 328i. The 034 + HPA mounts reminds me of the e46 M3. Still "OEM" feeling, but it also feels more alive.

Last edited:

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
A quick follow up on this post...

I went with the 034 density line
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

NVH is stock like. Even with the stock dogbone there's a noticeable difference with shifting feeling more secure.

Something that I didn't expect...
Going over bumps and such on the highway the front end doesn't bounce around as much. Feels more planted.

My opinion is to get the 034 mounts that if you are after stiffer engine and transmission mounts with a miniscule amount of NVH (only feel a small difference at startup).

Very OEM+ feeling!

I ran my car with the 034 mounts for about a month or so. Ordered the HPA Motorsports mount around the same time as the 034 mounts. They didn't get installed at the same time because #1 I wanted to see how they felt with each step. #2 HPA must have had a mad rush of orders because their machine shop was swamped. Took them a solid month to get the mount to my door :eek:

I'm actually glad it worked out like that. Gave me a chance to get used to the 034 mounts. They made a good difference by themselves, but I still had wheel hop. Shifting also still felt a tad sloppy between gears. There really is a lot of drive train movement with that OEM dog bone mount.

Rewind to Saturday afternoon. I had the HPA mount installed by a local indy shop (shout out to Country Dubs). After install the tech that installed it was shocked at just how little NVH there was. With the AC on you feel a little bit of a vibe. But it's not bad.

Put it like this, you'd never know that I had and aftermarket mounts in the car, let alone all three unless the car is idling with the AC on. The only other time that you'd notice is when I start the car. I finally feel the car come alive I the drivers seat. :cool:

Shifting feels much better with much less drive train movement.

In the end I got exactly what I was going for. Something that blurs the line of aftermarket and OEM feeling. Well done HPA Motorsports! And well done 034Motorsport. These three mounts really came together very well!

For anyone familiar with the e46 3 series... The stock GTI mounts are too forgiving. Kinda like a 328i. The 034 + HPA mounts reminds me of the e46 M3. Still "OEM" feeling, but it also feels more alive.

Nice review!
I have the HPA core interlock dog bone mount, and am looking to do the engine/tranny mounts.
Have considered REVO mounts, but with their engine mount, you lose the open threaded top piece; which you don't with the 034 mount.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Nice review!
I have the HPA core interlock dog bone mount, and am looking to do the engine/tranny mounts.
Have considered REVO mounts, but with their engine mount, you lose the open threaded top piece; which you don't with the 034 mount.
034 gets my vote. Again NVH is stock like, but at the same time it limits excess engine movement. Can't say enough good about how good it feels :cool: