GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

150PS ACT MPG

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I've just landed a promotion at work so have the opportunity to pick a company car of my choice.

I've already discounted another GTD or GTi due to the tax bill each month. I'd consider the GT with the 150ps petrol engine, problem is the facelift GT is only available with diesel engines at the moment. I'm avoiding diesels because I can't help but think they are going to get higher tax rates any time soon. I don't do mega miles either.

So my plan is an Audi A3 with the 150PS ACT engine, the tax is about £100 cheaper per month than the new GTD. Ok, I wont have the performance but I can live without it for the extra cash each month.

So I can make an informed decision can people with the 150PS ACT engine please post typical MPG

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
For us Americans who are, like me, pretty clueless about the UK's tax structure, what tax are you talking about, and how does it work and affect vehicle choice?

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I'm talking about the extra personal tax I will pay each month because the company is supplying me with a car.

The extra tax is calculated based on the value of the car including extras and how much CO2 it pumps out per km. In simple terms the higher the value and performance of the car the more tax you pay each month.

Each company has its own set of rules about what cars you can pick, its normally done on the total cost to lease the car each month. Depending on your grade the company sets a maximum value you can spend each month. There are other schemes, salary sacrifice is very popular here.

I'm hoping somebody with company car experience will comment on the most tax efficient way to manage a company car

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Wow, thanks for the info. I've never had a company car; in the USA, I'm not sure how common that is. I know some companies certainly do provide for company-leased cars, but no one I've every worked for did that. Interesting.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Right I have the 1.4lt 140PS which is the exact same engine as the 1.4lt 150PS ACT, the only difference is the addition of the ACT stuff on the cams. & a remap.

However 140PS is an understatement & I run mine on Shell Vpower & in Sport mode all the time. I spent about 3000miles calibrating my MFD with actual brim to brim using the same fuel pump at garage, in cool weather so 1% accuracy now. Usual drive is a 36mile mainly 60mph zones & a few miles in 30mph town, & get a min of 43.8mpg (35.8mpg USA) . Stretch the legs & drive down to Aviemore on the A9 & do 88miles & 48mpg (39.97mpg USA) is the norm.

On a long trip down to Newcastle I got 52mpg...(43.3mpg USA)

The facelift will get the new 1.5lt 150PS, which is late this year, I think they will drop the 1.8lt (180ps) used in the mk3 Octavia & use a higher tuned 1.5lt, as 150ps from even the 1.4lt is pathetic, damn things can easily do more just the weak clutch's & gearboxes they fit.

gtchris1

Ready to race!
Chris43 i dont think there is a massive performance wise gap between the tsi 150 and the gtd.
I had a little play against my mates gtd a few months ago and i was really suprised.
Ok i couldnt pull away from him but he also couldnt pull much on me if anything at all.
Very close indeed.
This was on a straight flat road and only did it twice.
I defo think overall the gtd is the stronger engine but it did suprise me.
Weight is the big thing between the two engines.
Tsi engine alot lighter than the 2.0 tdi.
Dave is right,im no expert but these engines are capable of a lot more.
The 1.6 turbo engines in the vauxhalls for example are running at 200 ps and they are rapid.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Chris43, my gut says that deep down, you really want us to talk you in to getting a GTI.
What will you do with the monthly savings anyway? Better food? Don't you like ramen and peanut butter? Well, your call. Either way, congrats on your promotion!

gtchris1

Ready to race!
chris43 stick with the "gt".theres hardly any difference between the two.
its only the letter "I" that's the difference lol haha.
to be fair I did see a nice 2017 gti with the 19 inch santiagos on in white today and it did look mean.
I see loads of nice cars walking the streets whilst delivering peoples post.

gtchris1

Ready to race!
sorry chris back to the question,im currently getting 42.6 mpg and that's mainly just little journeys with a lot of start/stop driving.
I'm over the moon with that as I was only getting 36.8 in my previous 1.6 tdci ford.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Thanks GTChris, mid 40s seems reasonable target, im completely ignoring the manufacturers figures. I would have a GT, problem is its only available to order with a TDI at the moment, the 1.5 petrol is due later this year. Interesting comparison between GT and GTD.

Obsrvr, thanks. In my situation the personal tax between the 150PS A3 S Line + options and a GTi is £170 / month. If I'd not had 3 Golfs in a row and the tax wasnt so high i would be tempted with a GTI.

Over the year the tax saving is 10 days in the Caribbean.

I love peanut butter but WHAT is ramen???

gtchris1

Ready to race!
I also agree with you with the future of tax on diesel engines.
I think a lot of diesel owners are going to be paying very high tax.
My last 4 cars were diesel and to be honest i dont think id have another one again since driving my tsi.
Its a cracker.

Ian91

Ready to race!
Thanks GTChris, mid 40s seems reasonable target, im completely ignoring the manufacturers figures. I would have a GT, problem is its only available to order with a TDI at the moment, the 1.5 petrol is due later this year. Interesting comparison between GT and GTD.

Obsrvr, thanks. In my situation the personal tax between the 150PS A3 S Line + options and a GTi is £170 / month. If I'd not had 3 Golfs in a row and the tax wasnt so high i would be tempted with a GTI.

Over the year the tax saving is 10 days in the Caribbean.

I love peanut butter but WHAT is ramen???

I have the 1.4tsi 150 ps engine gt DSG, privately owned, the mpg @ town is 45-48 mpg (improved with mileage) which I am happy with. Acceleration is good with the dsg box and you can use the flappy paddles and sport setting to get a little more out of the engine, I think the new 1.5 tsi engine is a little better on fuel consumption and I'm considering getting this on my next Golf, Audi will probably use this engine later on in the year. If it was me I would go with the Golf, I just like the way the petrol Golf drives and would go for the Gt petrol I was told they are accepting orders from May on the 1.5 tsi engined Golf but it it will probably be 3months for delivery. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited: