GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY GTI (1.8t Tsi)

kkingma

Ready to race!
I installed the BA rear sway on my Golf and it was a huge improvement. I think you'll enjoy it. The BA bar has a thicker sidewalk than the other 21.7 bar. You made a good choice!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Great to know. It's my next mod. You kept the OEM end links?

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Here is the stock RSB from the 1.8T (top, dirty), and the larger GTI RSB (Bottom, shiny)

The stock RSB on the 1.8T is a 19mm bar, an I assume the wall thickness is somewhere around 2.5 or 2.6mm.

This uprated GTI RSB is technically 21.7mm x 3.6mm wall thickness. This should prove to be a nice, subtle but noticeable OEM+ upgrade suitable for a DD that gets driven spiritedly :D

Also notice how much 'shorter' the CS RSB is compared to stock - this should definitely prove to tighten things up where it counts, and be a nice compliment to the DG springs.

No muss no fuss, bar bolts straight up - OEM+

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I did resume the endlinks. It's an oem sway bar so I assumed oem endlinks would be fine :).

Just finished installing the sway bar. Pretty painless install. I did damage the boot on one of the end links gough. Luckily I was able to get the boot back on and seems to be fine.

Took the car for a quick drive around some roundabouts in my neighbourhood. It's definitely a noticeable upgrade. The car feels tighter and more sporty all around.

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Great thread! Amazing car. Just got myself a gti valance, and got the CTS turbo catback for $400 from a guy I know who upgraded from a GTI to an R. Stoked to put it on. Waiting for a good day to install my VWR springs. Tired of carrying around a ladder to get in and out of my car.

Definitely keeping this thread in mind as I continue to mod.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Great thread! Amazing car. Just got myself a gti valance, and got the CTS turbo catback for $400 from a guy I know who upgraded from a GTI to an R. Stoked to put it on. Waiting for a good day to install my VWR springs. Tired of carrying around a ladder to get in and out of my car.

Definitely keeping this thread in mind as I continue to mod.

Thanks! I'm on VWR springs as well, but I wish it was a bit lower. I may be changing to coilovers next year.

I'm also thinking of picking up some Rotiform LSR 1 piece wheels in gold.. Thoughts? I really like them, but they are very similar to my current wheels. Worth spending the money?

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! I'm on VWR springs as well, but I wish it was a bit lower. I may be changing to coilovers next year.

I'm also thinking of picking up some Rotiform LSR 1 piece wheels in gold.. Thoughts? I really like them, but they are very similar to my current wheels. Worth spending the money?
I hear that! I got a great deal so I couldn't pass them up. I just cant be at stock height anymore. Definitely get coils. I would need ones that don't seize in the winter because -20 for 6 months and 5' of snow is not uncommon. So slightly out of budget for now.

I like those for sure! I love the gold faced wheels, they just mesh so nicely with white. I'd say do it, if you really want 'em! I'm personally more drawn to them than your current wheels.

Last edited:

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Picked up an ebay intake (injen clone) from somone today.
While I was out, I got wind of an IS20 for sale... So I bought it :D.

I'll be installing the intake tomorrow for some extra wooshing noises.
IS20 will be installed soon. Need to upgrade JB1 to JB4 first :).

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!

Club Wolfsburg Turbo

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Another tsi20! Excited to see the result.

Will you be installing yourself?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Club Wolfsburg Turbo
Yup! Wasn't planning on it or anything. Saw the post, I was already half way there in Kitchener. Figured why not :D.

Another tsi20! Excited to see the result.

Will you be installing yourself?

Yeah looking forward to it. My goal is to be around 300HP. I know I'll need a few more things, but I'm hoping JB4 will be enough to get me there (as far as tuning goes).

As for install, not sure yet. I'd like to do it my self, and MeltedSolids guide is super helpful. But I'm not sure if I want to deal with this. I've done turbo installs on other cars, but I tend to break things in the process and not sure I want to do that on a new(er) car :).

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Club Wolfsburg Turbo
Looks familiar....lol

Enjoy it and like I said if you have any issues let me know.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Looks familiar....lol

Enjoy it and like I said if you have any issues let me know.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Lol I used the picture you sent me :D

Thanks again, can't wait to get this on. I can finally roll with the cool kids :cool:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Do you plan to get this turbo balanced before installation? I'd suggest it. Many people have gotten IS38's balanced before installing on their GTI, to find they were a wide margin out of what should be considered "within acceptable range" of variance for a from-the-factory part. It basically seems that the QC on the turbos is the reason they fail, not due to an inherent design flaw. Probably worth the ~$150 to get it balanced, for peace of mind/reliability etc.