GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bent Pretoria rim - Where to replace

mwhittaker1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hit a killer pothole that I didn't even see coming on Sunday. Pretty bad bend on the rim- enough to cause a vibration at low speeds.

Looking at replacement options. Dealer is saying about $750. Checked the forums for anyone selling but didn't see anything. Anywhere else to look for a single rim?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Might want to see if it can be bent back bring it to a wheel repair place

Absolutely, get it fixed. 90% likely it can be properly repaired. Will cost ~$150 and be in as-new condition. Google "wheel repair" and find someone local to you. Usually done in 24 hours. Good luck!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Absolutely, get it fixed. 90% likely it can be properly repaired. Will cost ~$150 and be in as-new condition. Google "wheel repair" and find someone local to you. Usually done in 24 hours. Good luck!

If the wheel can be repaired, it will cost more than $150: to be done properly, it will likely have to be heated to where the aluminum is malleable before any hammering takes place. This will ruin any of the surrounding paint, so the entire wheel will need refinishing as well. So you'll need to pay for the repair, refinishing, and unmounting/remounting of the tire, and possibly re-balancing the wheel as well.

Whatever you do, go to an established wheelsmith, which has contracts (and a reputation) with the local dealerships; they are the ones most likely to tell you if it is unsafe to try and straighten a wheel which is too badly damaged. Ask your VW dealer who they go to for such work.

Good luck.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Hit a killer pothole that I didn't even see coming on Sunday. Pretty bad bend on the rim- enough to cause a vibration at low speeds.

Looking at replacement options. Dealer is saying about $750. Checked the forums for anyone selling but didn't see anything. Anywhere else to look for a single rim?

You could get a set of (4) Konig Oversteers for that price;)

Mjyu

Passed Driver's Ed
I bent mine before and got it repaired at west coast wheel repair in the bay area, which is usually more expensive for car related things. I paid 150 and they looked brand new with the paint and finish.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If the wheel can be repaired, it will cost more than $150: to be done properly, it will likely have to be heated to where the aluminum is malleable before any hammering takes place. This will ruin any of the surrounding paint, so the entire wheel will need refinishing as well. So you'll need to pay for the repair, refinishing, and unmounting/remounting of the tire, and possibly re-balancing the wheel as well.

Yep, I realize all that. Last time I had one done it was about $125 locally in SoCal. In at 4pm, picked up good as new at 9am the next morning. I gave the fresh paint & clearcoat a few days to cure before driving it much.

bradfordstl

I was in the same boat in January, bought the wheel from DAP- linked above- and found the pzero for 190 on tire rack. Expensive arse potholes they are! I still have my pret w/ a flat spot in the garage, as I don't know that I trust the wheel repair on a car I intend to drive fast.

Only1Z

Passed Driver's Ed
Keep in mind that once you bend a wheel and have it repaired, it will be weaker than original. They have to heat the heck out of it to straighten it and that does affect the wheel integrity going forward. I'd expect to bend it again in the future.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mwhittaker1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the advice everyone. I only have 3k miles on the car so I've opt'd out of doing a repair. Just would rather not have that weak spot on the car since I'll be driving it hard and probably modding it eventually. Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.

Is the bent rim worth trying to sell? Someone maybe who will fix the bend and re-use? What would something like that be worth? Otherwise just scrap it?

Attachments

• f4a34aa84ab04b529faebe74bedc20fc.jpg
    f4a34aa84ab04b529faebe74bedc20fc.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,051

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Thanks for the advice everyone. I only have 3k miles on the car so I've opt'd out of doing a repair.

But a brand new rim was "weak" enough to incur this much damage in the first place - why shell out so much money for another "weak" rim? I seriously doubt the repaired rim would be that much more vulnerable to damage than what you're already looking at. And cosmetically, the repaired rim would look good as new.

It's not the rim being to weak, it's the road being too bad and the sidewall height too
low. So there's two answers:
Either moving to a different location where the roads are better or going for 17" wheels.
Pick up one of them.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
It's not the rim being to weak, it's the road being too bad and the sidewall height too
low. So there's two answers:
Either moving to a different location where the roads are better or going for 17" wheels.
Pick up one of them.

18's would probably be fine.. unless he's in Manhattan or Jersey. More like 14's there. :D