GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question..New Engine.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
No now they apparently said something about a new transmission also??? It's all bs man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you make sure your blinker fluid was above the min line? :D

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
When my AP1 S2000 motor popped a cylinder wall was cracked and could not be sleeved. So the quote from the dealer was ~$12,000 for a new block installed at the Honda dealer.

I ended up finding a used motor 200 miles away for $3,000 on eBay. (My dad was nice enough to pick it up in his truck for me) , I got the seller to throw in a flywheel and paid a shop $900 to remove the engine/trans, unmarried said union, install clutch flywheel and remarry old trans to new to me engine.

I think all in all I got out of it around $4k.

Not too bad at all things considered. Especially with how limited production the S2000 is and the awesomeness of the motor.

Never had any issues after swap.

WOW!! I bought an AP2 short block(F22C) for $3,200 BRAND NEW from Honda. It shipped from their Stockton warehouse to my shop in two days and we installed it immediately. Granted labor was free since I worked there. I cannot fathom how they came up with that $12,000 figure.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I have to say that the OP doesn't have a lot of credibility. I'd like to ask him for a scan of the service estimate from the dealer.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I have to say that the OP doesn't have a lot of credibility. I'd like to ask him for a scan of the service estimate from the dealer.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Only one thing left to do

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

Vdub13

Ready to race!

This is all hear say. This is what the DEALER is telling me. Mind you all they're worried about is me giving the "approval" for them to run this diagnostic. But with them just pulling up codes from the ECU and "looking around" they're basically assuming I blew my tranny and engine. The service manager himself said a new engine is about $11,000. Now as far as the "quotes price" of $16k, that was brought to my attention from the tow truck driver. He said that's what they told him. So I have no idea...all I can do is laugh at this point cause I've stressed so much within this week that I might actually have a stroke lol.

Vdub13

Ready to race!
Oh and for anybody that's curious, the car DOES start and drive. I drove it from the tow truck to the parking lot, and the idle needle didn't bounce. So I'm HOPING that's a positive sign. [emoji1376]

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Oh and for anybody that's curious, the car DOES start and drive. I drove it from the tow truck to the parking lot, and the idle needle didn't bounce. So I'm HOPING that's a positive sign. [emoji1376]

Then take a video so we can hear what their claiming is knocking to the point they believe the engine is blown. What codes did they pull? Do you have the car in your possession right now?

Vdub13

Ready to race!
Then take a video so we can hear what their claiming is knocking to the point they believe the engine is blown. What codes did they pull? Do you have the car in your possession right now?

No I don't have it with me at the moment. It's at the shop. The only codes I thrown from the diagnostic the dealership ran was the "engine over speed, misfire on cylinder 1, misfire on cylinder 2, and an o2 sensor low voltage."

Vdub13

Ready to race!
Well the cars still in the shop. They ran a compression test. There's compression, and the engine starts every time they try to turn it on. The only thing is they told me there's a ticking that gets louder as the engine warms up. They're going to open up the top of the engine and look under the valve covers and what not...so hopefully by tomorrow I'll know for sure.

As far as a "new transmission" goes..they said they almost 100% positive the tranny is still good and there's no need for a new one. Not sure why the dealership told me I needed one. But they're also trying to figure out how to erase that engine over speed code. They erase it but it keeps coming back. So who knows.

Everything is pretty much still hear say. Praying for the best though.