GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

FormerTDI

Just did this on my few weeks old MK7 GTI, what a difference it makes!! I did this on my MK6 TDI years ago but it didn't make as much of a difference as on the MK7 GTI.

The only complicated part was pulling the vacuum tube from the airbox along with detaching and reattaching the clip on the airbox. I was able to to remove the clip with an adjustable wrench and a week at the gym.

I kept the reservoir open the entire time while doing the broomstick method and attached a 1/4" hose to the nipple leading to an empty soda bottle while bleeding. I really didn't need to do the pump cycle more than twice to see clear fluid, but I did it five times just in case.

Great mod for only the cost of a 16 oz DOT4 brake fluid can which VW charged me $10.50 for. Thanks for the writeup LeGTI!

bh36913

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did this over the weekend. You weren't kidding about the paper towels!

I bought a can of genuine DOT 4 fluid off of Amazon and had just enough to bleed the clutch back out.

Tip for future reference, Do not push the pedal too many times while holding the bleeder open. The clutch part of the brake fluid reservoir must be very small because I would crack the bleeder after my wife pumped the clutch pedal and she would pump some more with it open and it would start to come out without bubbles eventually and before I could close the valve, bubbles would reappear and the pedal would go limp again. I am guessing the reservoir ran out of fluid in the clutch portion.

So when bleeding, pump pedal, crack valve open and pump pedal only a few times, close valve and repeat/top off fluid until no more bubbles appear.

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
Just did this mod and was wondering if anyone elses clutch hose line fitting into the bleeder block was missing the o-ring? It couldnt have fallen out since its a plug O-Ring (and I looked around just in case). I ended up clipping the line on without it and bled/tested the clitch with no leakage.

The groove on the fitting definitely looked like an o-ring feature...

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Sorry for reviving an old thread but finally found the time to get around to this and he clutch spring removal. You guys weren't joking around. The clutch finally feels proper and lively. Great work once again LeGti. Excellent forum snooping to find this wherever you did.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Liberating my clutch pedal is next, like you, no matter now hard I try I sometimes stumble or lurch from a go. It is frustrating. I have only ever owned manuals my short adult life and have never had this much trouble pegging the perfect shift time after time after time.

CU GTI

Just did this mod along with the clutch spring removal. It makes a huge difference. Only trouble I had was I could not get the spring hose clamp back on the airbox so I replaced it with a screw clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Just did this mod along with the clutch spring removal. It makes a huge difference. Only trouble I had was I could not get the spring hose clamp back on the airbox so I replaced it with a screw clamp

I had the same issue with that spring clamp! You have to have wide opening pliers OR muscle it back (had to use my hands) onto the hard plastic of the box then regrip it with the pliers and push it back onto the hose while squeezing. When I first took it off the air hose I took it completely off (mistake) and took forever to get it to open wide enough to get it back over the fitting. I suppose having a larger set of vise grips would have eliminated my problems.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
So I'm thinking of doing this mod. Does this reduce rev hang after pressing in the clutch? The thing I hate about going from 1-2 is that I have to slow shift as I wait for the revs to drop in normal driving. If the revs would drop faster, I would be able to shift smoother.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
So I'm thinking of doing this mod. Does this reduce rev hang after pressing in the clutch? The thing I hate about going from 1-2 is that I have to slow shift as I wait for the revs to drop in normal driving. If the revs would drop faster, I would be able to shift smoother.

In theory, it should release the clutch quicker in response to your foot - so, the revs should start to drop quicker, but as for how fast they drop - that won't change unless you lighten the flywheel.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
doing mine tonight. can't stand it anymore!!!!

anyone running clutch stop in tandem w it? how is it?

surfstar

Ready to race!
This just in: Ordering clutch stop, and ECS bleeder block & SS line on Friday. I am breaking my ground rule I set myself last week of "No car parts for 2 paychecks James."

Lol, oops.

Could have done the clutch stop and OEM CDV removal for under $20 and gotten over 90% of the same performance.
oops.

Spending 10x more $ for the ECS block and a SS line doesn't mean its going to be that much better.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Done. Lost one of the clips to the block and couldn't find it anywhere (idiot). I took the clip from the top bung and used it on the side and bent a piece of welding wire to secure the nipple. It was in place before with the clip, but is really secure with the wire. Ordered a new clip just because. $7 shipped.

Ordering a clutch stop.

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Done. Lost one of the clips to the block and couldn't find it anywhere (idiot). I took the clip from the top bung and used it on the side and bent a piece of welding wire to secure the nipple. It was in place before with the clip, but is really secure with the wire. Ordered a new clip just because. $7 shipped.

Ordering a clutch stop.
Dude, I lost one of the clips too! Where did you order a new one? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk