GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Less than a week, already pulled over....

armedferret

Ready to race!
Wasn't speeding actually (which was a relief). What he did claim, however, was that I made an "illegal right-hand turn". Which I didn't.

For those familiar with the intersection of Fort Smallwood Road and Fort Armistead road, I was headed south on Smallwood and took the turn-off for Armistead. Realized I needed to go home first, so I turned right on smallwood when the light turned green. Instantly got pulled over by the "Maryland Transit Authority Police" (a.k.a. Toll Cops) who claimed I'd made an illegal right-hand turn.

The traffic on Smallwood has a sign at that intersection stating "One Way" pointing to their left, meaning you can't turn right INTO the road I turned from; this is backed up by a DO NOT ENTER sign directly underneath the one-way sign. The officer's claim is that the one-way sign also means traffic on that road can't turn right; they can ONLY go straight down Fort Armistead. Which is complete bullshit. According to the MD Transit Authority's own web page, regulatory road signs (which carry the weight of law) must be in the driver's natural cone of vision. A sign at my 3 o'clock when sitting at the light, completely out of even my PERIPHERAL vision, does not meet that criteria--especially when it's not even intended for my lane of traffic, but rather the perpendicular traffic.

Then due to all the gravel on the shoulder, and the fact I've had the car less than a week (and am used to driving a manual), the tires spun for about a quarter of a second as I was attempting to get off quickly and join traffic without risking a rear-end collision. So he pulled me over AGAIN for gratuitous display of speed--spinning tires intentionally.

Needless to say this one's going to court.

Disclaimer--I don't hate police, and if I'm genuinely breaking the law (i.e. I'm speeding or there's a no-right-turn sign and i do it anyway) I don't complain if i get caught and assessed a fine. This, however, was PURELY the Toll Police on the last day of the month attempting to jack up their stats. Pure and simple. As evidenced by the fact we had passed him not 30 seconds before he pulled ME over, with someone ELSE pulled over. The guy was just FARMING tickets.

Bullet Bob

Passed Driver's Ed
You sound like a reasonable, intelligent person. Good luck with your court appearance!

You could go try and talk to the DA's office before the court date, they might just dismiss it. My brief experiences with Maryland (no tickets) haven't been positive, but it's worth a shot.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Obliged, and I may do that; however, I'm kind of looking forward to wearing my service dress in court. I mean I'm not a total asshole, but sometimes I do enjoy a good bit of passive-aggressive nose-thumbing. I also don't try and milk my military status/service for any favors or special treatment, but if I want to look nice and professional, a freshly-pressed dress uniform with shiny bits and ribbons is a good way to do it no? :D (besides, wouldn't be the first time a judge took that into consideration ;) )

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Obliged, and I may do that; however, I'm kind of looking forward to wearing my service dress in court. I mean I'm not a total asshole, but sometimes I do enjoy a good bit of passive-aggressive nose-thumbing. I also don't try and milk my military status/service for any favors or special treatment, but if I want to look nice and professional, a freshly-pressed dress uniform with shiny bits and ribbons is a good way to do it no? :D (besides, wouldn't be the first time a judge took that into consideration ;) )

When you are in an area with lots of military presence, the uniform really doesn't do much now a days. But it does seem like you have a case and should get it thrown out.

cw_tdi14

Passed Driver's Ed
Wasn't speeding actually (which was a relief). What he did claim, however, was that I made an "illegal right-hand turn". Which I didn't.

For those familiar with the intersection of Fort Smallwood Road and Fort Armistead road, I was headed south on Smallwood and took the turn-off for Armistead. Realized I needed to go home first, so I turned right on smallwood when the light turned green. Instantly got pulled over by the "Maryland Transit Authority Police" (a.k.a. Toll Cops) who claimed I'd made an illegal right-hand turn.

The traffic on Smallwood has a sign at that intersection stating "One Way" pointing to their left, meaning you can't turn right INTO the road I turned from; this is backed up by a DO NOT ENTER sign directly underneath the one-way sign. The officer's claim is that the one-way sign also means traffic on that road can't turn right; they can ONLY go straight down Fort Armistead. Which is complete bullshit. According to the MD Transit Authority's own web page, regulatory road signs (which carry the weight of law) must be in the driver's natural cone of vision. A sign at my 3 o'clock when sitting at the light, completely out of even my PERIPHERAL vision, does not meet that criteria--especially when it's not even intended for my lane of traffic, but rather the perpendicular traffic.

Then due to all the gravel on the shoulder, and the fact I've had the car less than a week (and am used to driving a manual), the tires spun for about a quarter of a second as I was attempting to get off quickly and join traffic without risking a rear-end collision. So he pulled me over AGAIN for gratuitous display of speed--spinning tires intentionally.

Needless to say this one's going to court.

Disclaimer--I don't hate police, and if I'm genuinely breaking the law (i.e. I'm speeding or there's a no-right-turn sign and i do it anyway) I don't complain if i get caught and assessed a fine. This, however, was PURELY the Toll Police on the last day of the month attempting to jack up their stats. Pure and simple. As evidenced by the fact we had passed him not 30 seconds before he pulled ME over, with someone ELSE pulled over. The guy was just FARMING tickets.
Wow they actually pulled you over for that? I go through that intersection daily and a ton of people do it. I know that doesn't make it legal, but I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it. Good luck!!

armedferret

Ready to race!
Wow they actually pulled you over for that? I go through that intersection daily and a ton of people do it. I know that doesn't make it legal, but I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it. Good luck!!

Unfortunately for LE, it's not an illegal maneuver. I could see them going after someone who goes right-on-red (even though that too is still perfectly legal to do) but still....sitting at the red, then waiting for green to turn right? He's gonna have a hard time explaining himself on that one, especially since he's on video/audio saying a one-way sign means you can only go straight out of that alcove. Nevermind the fact there's a protected green left-turn arrow....if he's right, then what the hell is that for anyway? lulz.

Side note, anyone know how to go about getting a copy of the officer's dash cam?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Had to go look this up. Needed a visual

Makes sense now and looks like you're in the right if this is what happened.

South on Smallwood. To go to Armistead, you have to exit on Hawkins Pount Rd. From there, you decided you needed to turn right back onto Smallwood. As long a there is no sign that says no right turn, you're in the clear.

One thing I'll add is to go back there and take pictures. They might end up adding a no right turn sign and then good luck proving anything.

Attachments

• img20170323_084759.jpg
    img20170323_084759.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 481

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I just Google Street-viewed that jug handle. Granted, it's a 2012 capture, but as of then, there was no sign indicating that a right turn from the jug handle onto Fort Smallwood south is illegal.

Now, your little stunt with throwing stones on the officer's hood... that one you might have to pony up some cash for. Lol. But seriously, I hope you get out of this one.

Disclaimer: I do hate police, when they are acting as revenue collectors rather than public safety officials.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Yep, that's exactly what happened Monkey. Already have pics; took them that night. And no stones were thrown on anyone's hood. :p

AJ15

Ready to race!
the tires spun for about a quarter of a second as I was attempting to get off quickly and join traffic without risking a rear-end collision.
Anytime that I've been pulled over on road with a high(er) speed limit, the LEO has pulled out behind me w/ his lights going to slow/block traffic to let me safely re-enter traffic from a dead stop. That just seems like common sense policing. Did this guy not do that for you? Was he too busy counting his tickets? :D

armedferret

Ready to race!
Anytime that I've been pulled over on road with a high(er) speed limit, the LEO has pulled out behind me w/ his lights going to slow/block traffic to let me safely re-enter traffic from a dead stop. That just seems like common sense policing. Did this guy not do that for you? Was he too busy counting his tickets? :D

MDTA police. Of course he wasn't going to extend any courtesy. Those guys are all revenue, zero public safety.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Tomorrow's the big day. :D

Got the laws printed for everything as well as photos of the intersection (to demonstrate not an illegal turn) and aeea pulled over (to illustrate the issues with traction resulting in an unintentional tire spin). Key is intent on both of the completely non-bs tickets. Sadly the officer, although likely skilled at many things, isn't a mind reader so I'm confident.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Kick some butt. Interested to hear the end result.