GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs R torque

makopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
I've learned to love revving the car out, that helps.

I came from a Stage 2 MK6 (VW CC) and it was fairly heavy on low end torque so I understand what you're "missing", but the top end speed makes up for all of it haha

I am still adjusting to the linear power delivery of the R. Coming from a Stg2 WRX where there was a little lag and them a huge surge of torque, the R tends to feel slower around town. Even if it's going faster. I think that will change after going stg2 on the R.

in a way the turbo size and torque curve between the GTI and the R is a similar situation as the WRX and STI. At low speeds the smaller turbo on the slower car feels faster until you look at the speed.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I am still adjusting to the linear power delivery of the R. Coming from a Stg2 WRX where there was a little lag and them a huge surge of torque, the R tends to feel slower around town. Even if it's going faster. I think that will change after going stg2 on the R.

in a way the turbo size and torque curve between the GTI and the R is a similar situation as the WRX and STI. At low speeds the smaller turbo on the slower car feels faster until you look at the speed.

It's definitely a more surprising speed in the R, but it's rewarding to be able to use the whole RPM range IMO.

Your comparison of the WRX to STI is dead on, same exact situation. You have to work a bigger turbo to get power, and you lose that very low end grunt in favor of top end. Can't have both unfortunately, just the nature of a turbo motor.

Complicated twin turbo setups have been used to combat it (e.g. FD RX7, Supra) by using a smaller turbo and a larger turbo, with a crossover point where they sort of "hand off" to each other. Most people looking to improve on those systems convert to a big single turbo, and deal with some lag and loss of low end. Those people are not going to be looking for low end grunt to push them around town though, so it's really about your goals.

makopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
It amazing how the turbo sizing makes a hige difference in feel. On the same roads, driving with the wife, the WRX feels faster, get the nice rush of torque and it really feels fast when hitting 3k RPM in third. On the Golf its not very exiting, now when I am alone in the car and willing to push it more. WOW, the Golf comes to life. It's scary fast, the downside is that you cant do that often, specially in PA roads filled with potholes and drivers crossing the center line.