GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud "pop" from speakers while driving with radio off (Fender).

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I have a JBL MS-8 installed with the Fender system. Anytime the ignition is on either driving or stationary AND the factory head unit is off I get a loud "pop" from the speakers after about 15 minutes. This NEVER happens if the head unit is powered on, but if the radio is off I get the pop. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

hal

Ready to race!
Can you share more information on where do you get your remote signal to the MS-8 from and how it goes to the amp?

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
Sure, thank you. The MS-8 is remotely turned on by the 12V + wire from the power outlet in the rear hatch. Anytime the ignition is on that power outlet is energized; at least that is my understanding. The MS-8 feeds two amplifiers with its own remote turn on wire. The amps power a sub and the front components while the MS-8 powers the rear fill speakers with its internal amps. So, the only wires that go from the Fender amp to the MS-8 are the amplified speaker wires themselves.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
Have you isolated it to the front or rear speakers? Or is it both that pop?

I haven't been able to isolate it, but it sounds like the entire system pops. Every speaker in the car, including the sub pops equally. it's very startling.

hal

Ready to race!
It seems to me the headunit is signaling the fender amp to shut down after 15 minutes from you turning the radio off. Makes sense that this timeout is set so it doesn't keep turning on and off every time you decide to turn the radio on and off.

You won't be able to eliminate this pop easily as it's because your amp is still powered on when the high-level input signal from the fender amp turns down. Your best bet in my opinion might be to try to figure out if there is a switched 12v line at the fender harness that you can tap the MS-8 and your amps to, instead of the power outlet.

This way everything will turn on and off at the same time and controlled by the head unit.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
It seems to me the headunit is signaling the fender amp to shut down after 15 minutes from you turning the radio off. Makes sense that this timeout is set so it doesn't keep turning on and off every time you decide to turn the radio on and off.

You won't be able to eliminate this pop easily as it's because your amp is still powered on when the high-level input signal from the fender amp turns down. Your best bet in my opinion might be to try to figure out if there is a switched 12v line at the fender harness that you can tap the MS-8 and your amps to, instead of the power outlet.

This way everything will turn on and off at the same time and controlled by the head unit.

Thanks, Hal. I was thinking the same thing. I need to find the same source that powers the factory amp. Not only for the popping, but also so that the music keeps playing until the door is opened.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
Solved

With the help of Don (DV52) I was able to recode the radio (VCDS) to activate the speaker out pins in the back of the MIB and eliminate the Fender amp. I am now just using the rear channel left and right speaker leads into the MS-8. The MS-8 likes it and I no longer have a pop at any time. I hope this helps someone else who thinks they must grab the signal after the Fender amp if they want to add audio gear.

hal

Ready to race!
With the help of Don (DV52) I was able to recode the radio (VCDS) to activate the speaker out pins in the back of the MIB and eliminate the Fender amp. I am now just using the rear channel left and right speaker leads into the MS-8. The MS-8 likes it and I no longer have a pop at any time. I hope this helps someone else who thinks they must grab the signal after the Fender amp if they want to add audio gear.

I think others in the forum with the Fender amp were looking at ways to activate the speaker outputs too. Would help if you or Don could share the VCDS coding.

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting - I get an occasional loud "click" from the speakers of my Fender system on longer drives, every 15 minutes or so. At first I thought it was the structure around the windshield making a popping noise, but I eventually noticed it does not happen with the radio off. Just a very rapid "click" noise, like something discharging - maybe EMI related? Not a big problem but annoying...

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I get this on my MK6 when I'm connected to bluetooth

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I think others in the forum with the Fender amp were looking at ways to activate the speaker outputs too. Would help if you or Don could share the VCDS coding.

Sorry for the late response. I am going to post an entirely new thread showing how I did it so that it will be easier for people to find in the future. I could have saved so much time had I just done this from the beginning. It couldn't be easier to run the speaker wires from the MIB2 back to the hatch without having to tap into the Fender wires under the driver's seat.