GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's that noise?

cmquilter

At 73, I may never drive my new Golf R hard, and I'm hardly going to drive it more than 5,000 miles a year. But I learned to double-clutch on my father's 1951 VW Standard (mechanical brakes, crash box, and 24 HP -- although my brothers and I always said it felt like 25), and I wanted my last car to be a VW. But enough about me. Days after buying it, my Golf R is headed back for some warranty work. There's a rattling/whirring sound from the right rear wheel/suspension under any load (hard acceleration, a steep hill, a speed bump, a hard right turn). It's not the kind of noise that will vanish at the dealer's, but the buying experience was painful enough that my confidence in this community is greater than my confidence in the dealer's service department. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And if you live in South Orange County CA, do you have a trusted service department or mechanic? With thanks, Chris

SoCalHomer

Hailing from Irvine here. I have a Oryx White '17 R. Took my car to Norm Reeves for the infotainment/nav issue, and though not totally incompetent, not a great experience.
By the way, I bought mine from South Coast VW, and I took mine to Norm Reeves bc it's closer. FWIW, the showroom at South Coast VW was a million times better and more luxurious than Norm Reeves, if that makes any difference.
I went on Yelp to look at VW dealerships in OC, and all looked pretty much the same in terms of ratings. Maybe try the one in SJC if you're down south?

cmquilter

Thanks, Homer

My sentiments exactly about Norm Reeves, although I take the car in today for my first encounter with the service department. I took my old Audi to South Coast Audi for years, back when it shared a space with VW, only because they had a service manager who made me feel safe. Whatever went on backstage was competent but expensive. When he retired, I switched to Frank's in Laguna, also competent and expensive, but lots closer.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
At 73, I may never drive my new Golf R hard, and I'm hardly going to drive it more than 5,000 miles a year. But I learned to double-clutch on my father's 1951 VW Standard (mechanical brakes, crash box, and 24 HP -- although my brothers and I always said it felt like 25), and I wanted my last car to be a VW. But enough about me. Days after buying it, my Golf R is headed back for some warranty work. There's a rattling/whirring sound from the right rear wheel/suspension under any load (hard acceleration, a steep hill, a speed bump, a hard right turn). It's not the kind of noise that will vanish at the dealer's, but the buying experience was painful enough that my confidence in this community is greater than my confidence in the dealer's service department. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And if you live in South Orange County CA, do you have a trusted service department or mechanic? With thanks, Chris

Have them confirm that they removed all of the the strut pucks. They may have missed one.