GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Mark 7: Anyone swap stock wheels/tires for ride comfort?

pbarry30

Stock are 225 40 R 18 P Zero Nero All Season
I want better ride comfort - stock is jiggly on broken surfaces here in Illinois.
I do not have DCC.

Wondering if anyone has put 225 45 R 17 or 235 45 R 17 on their GTI and if they could report the ride quality?
Also if they did I am interested in All Season tires only and wondering what those individuals used?

Note:
1. I do not mind how the 17s will look
2. I know the implications to the speedo
3. I don't want to trade the car for something smoother ;)
4. I understand the on the limit handling tradeoffs
5. I love the car - just looking for ride improvement for every day driving

Last edited:

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm wondering this too. I actually dont find the ride harsh but my girlfriend does. I live in NYC and drive to the catskills regularly, rough roads. I was thinking of moving to 17s but a forum member shared that the oems are stronger than aftermarkets so maybe just a diff tire? suspension?
hope i didnt just hijack this thread!!! boot me off if I did!

B95zP

Ready to race!
I think a lighter wheel with better tires could help. You could also look into a larger 235/40 R18 which plays nice with most lowering springs, and has no issues with OE height. I'd think the slightly, beefier sidewall would help absorb some of the harshness.

Wondering if anyone has put 225 45 R 17 or 235 45 R 17 on their GTI and if they could report the ride quality?
Lots of people did that.
Lots of information on the forum.
What about reading that?

In short, that you don't think I'm not willing to help:

- get 17" lightweight wheels
- get soft sidewall touring type tires
- get either 225/45 or 235/45 R17
- set tire pressure to ~33 psi front and 31 psi rear

You WILL notice the difference. ;)
But still the above mentioned applies: Read the bloody forum.

;)

pbarry30

Thanks breaking badly!!

I will continue to read the forum posts but as you know alot of them go completely tangential and it becomes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff ;)

Let me add, when you have a non-PP GTI you even run 16" wheels with 205/55, 215/55 or 225/50 R16 tires.
Most GTI owners wouldn't run that all-year (for aesthetical reasons) but some run one of these in the winter.

Floader

Passed Driver's Ed
Once I put the winter wheels and tires on (215/50/17 I think) and drove around I put the factory 18's up for sale. Got a set of 17's with summer rubber on them. They are that much better ride quality wise.

joblo

Wheels/Tires for ride comfort

I did this:

MSW Type 22 Black 16x7 exact hub as OEM, no hub rings needed, reuse OEM lug bolts.

215/55R-16 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season. All from Tire Rack.

Discount Tires has a great size comparator on their site.

Could not be happier! (Not a but still handles great)

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 4,771

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
I'm running 245/40 on 18 x 8.5 rims which doesn't sound much taller (.7 in) than 225/40, however because the load rating is significantly higher (and I got the Conti DWs which are great at absorbing bumps) I can run 32psi no problem and the ride is killer!

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running 245/40 on 18 x 8.5 rims which doesn't sound much taller (.7 in) than 225/40, however because the load rating is significantly higher (and I got the Conti DWs which are great at absorbing bumps) I can run 32psi no problem and the ride is killer!

what rims do you use?

TCOne

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got 235/45r17 fronts and 225/45r17 rear. The ride is not much different other than I've noticed that hitting bumps/potholes is much less jarring, more of a dull thud sound. I'm completely pleased with the change.
Not noticeably different in body roll or brake dive.

GeeTeeI

I have 16" steelies on my daily driver '16 GTI since November and it's nice not to have to worry about swerving around mid winter craters. The stock suspension ride is just about perfect for my needs.

I'm in the metro NYC/CT area, thus roads are crap, and I wouldn't consider lowering springs so no worries about rubbing etc . Now that winter is about over here I really want an alternative to reinstalling the stock 18x7.5 Austins and 225/40 rubber. Since I may want to do a big brake kit in the future, I'd like to stay with 18's but having a hard time figuring out the best rim width and tire combo.

Your's is the first I've seen of this setup, but it sounds like it would be perfect. The lower tire pressure makes sense too.

Is your suspension stock? Any extra road noise with larger tires? Any difference on wet roads (hydroplaning)? How about the look - wheel gap, etc? Pictures? Thanks.