GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New wheels/tires car feels odd

Will get an alignment Thursday just to rule that out. Never had it done after installing the VWR springs.
Yes I know I should have gotten an alignment. But didn't see/feel a need to when on OEM 18s. MeAning all felt normal.

I'm assuming an alignment shop should be able to bring back to spec if it is fact a little off. Anyone know the OEM alignment specs?

Probably something like -1.0 to -1.5 camber I'm assuming?
After any lowering the alignment is mandatory, even if the steering wheel remains straight.

Well camber was -3 in rear. Brought to -2.2 left and -2.2 right. Toe was a little off on both front and back so that got adjusted to 1/16. Front camber is at -1.0 on driver and -1.4 on passenger. Seeing as it isn't adjustable what to do? I know they could shift the frame. Should I waste time and go back or is it not that big a deal?
Here we go:

- front camber isn't adjustable, though it's possible to even both sides by shifting the subframe
- front toe in seems fine if 1/16" is the single wheel, not both
- same with the toe on rear, but slightly more than on front seems more appropriate
- rear camber should be set back to stock with VWR springs, which is between -1.5° and -2° (because tire wear)

;)

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
So should I go back and have them shift the frame or is the difference negligible?

Toe - I thought both wheels should be set to the same toe in measure.... no? You're saying one should be 1/16 and the other

Last edited:

Porschetech1

Passed Driver's Ed
Toe looks good shifting the subframe would be worth it if it changes but you don't know until you go and do it I have had cars where there is no more adjustment and that is the way it is. I agree with breaking badly you should take out some camber in the rear I liked 1.5 but that should be way better than what you had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Toe looks good shifting the subframe would be worth it if it changes but you don't know until you go and do it I have had cars where there is no more adjustment and that is the way it is. I agree with breaking badly you should take out some camber in the rear I liked 1.5 but that should be way better than what you had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would this be a good point to try the Tyrolsport deadset kit?
If they are going to shift it why not try this to help center and hold in place?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Huh... my front camber was also off side to side about 0.6deg last time I got my alignment checked (-0.8 left -1.4 right). When the guy shifted the subframe it only improved to about 0.4deg side to side (-0.9 left -1.3 right). I later figured out how to adjust my camber plates without taking out the struts, which we did't figure out while at the shop, and did the math to set the left to -1.3 too, but I was surprised it was that much difference side to side.

We set the toe to as close to 0 as we could with it still being positive on all 4 wheels. The total toe was 0.07deg front and 0.13deg rear, which is the equivalent of 0.015" front 0.028" rear (1/16" is 0.0625" or 0.28 deg). Your toe would be completely out of spec according to my sheet, and it seems like way too much. When I originally got to the shop, an 80 mile trip on the highway after lowering, my total front toe was at -0.13 deg and my total rear toe was at 1.06 deg and my car was extremely floaty. It was the first thing I noticed when I got on the highway. Your rear toe is roughly half what mine was, but it's still enough that I would imagine it would affect your driving feel. I'm not sure where that shop got the specs for the GTI from, but they seem very odd.