GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About roll center

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
S3 is 55 mm like any higher-powered MQB model. They're easily identifiable since the
55 mm one is aluminium (silver colored and bulky) while the 50 mm strut swivels are
steel (much skinnier, painted black and tend to rust).
On the 'mid-powered' MQB cars it depends whether the car is NA or Euro spec. While
all European Golfs and A3s with more than 150 HP and even any lower-powered DCC
equipped Golf comes with 55 mm struts + aluminium swivels, the NA spec 170 HP TSI
seems to put up with the 50 mm struts and iron spindles.
Anyways, I cannot imagine Audi sell the S3 with the cheaper 50 mm struts and steel
hubs. Any NA spec GTI comes with aluminium hubs and 55 mm struts.

Yes I just checked and found I have mistaken it. Actually my A3 has 50mm front axles:(

So what's the difference between 50mm and 55mm besides the swivels and shockers? Do they have the same top mounts?

Right, there's only one sort of top mount.
If you're willing to swap both the swivel and the strut there's nothing else hindering you.
Brake calipers fit to both types of swivels, at least the TRW calipers used along with 288
x 25 mm and 312 x 25 mm rotors.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
This is 3 bolt bearing/hub fixing:

That said, Clubsport S spindles use TT bearings and Jmason didn't mention any change regarding fixing:

Clubsport S Swivels Installed

That sounds reasonable for them to use the same swivels, since CSS has an admirable tuning to break the Nurbergring FWD record;)

This is the pic of TT 8S and S3 8V, both MQB:

They indeed seem to have same bearing screw positions, and TT has a lower ball joint position.

What else confusing me is, the strut position of TT's also looks like to be lower than S3's. Jmason didn't mention this, maybe he is using adjustable coilovers so that's not a problem for him?

Isn't there a void on the swivel pictured on the right?
The pictures seem from an Asian site, did this guy measure the swivels?
I remember someone measuring the relevant data of Mk.5 GTI, S3 8P and
TT 8J swivels some years ago.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually I uploaded this pic onto a Asian website. The dealer sold these mainly for repairing so he can't offer a precise measurement :eek:

I checked on OEMEPC, it looks like that TT's swivels have different part numbers with CSS's, TT's start with 8S while CSS's start with 5Q:

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sin...407000/part_id/0/is_main_page/0/lang/c#sec_10

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11798&page=2#21

But even then I hope Jmason would find something interesting on his CSS swivels:D

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
The CCS swivel looks like the one pictured on the right. There does not appear to be any difference between the CSS and GTI ball joint location.

Yes, the CSS swivel is basically a GTI/R/S3 swivel (same casting), but just machined
to slightly different angles.
What about the void between the bearing and the strut clamping locations? Wouldn't
it be feasible using it for some kind of brake ventilation?
Yumichika, guess someone need to try them first and perform some measurements. :)

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
The CSS swivel has the void.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
The CCS swivel looks like the one pictured on the right. There does not appear to be any difference between the CSS and GTI ball joint location.

Well, so the TT swivel may be the only choice for roll center adjusting...Thanks a lot for the info.:D

Besides, would you please to give the part number of the Audi bearing? Are there any difference between audi bearing and stock? And I guess that the CSS swilvels should just match the stock ball joint and tie rod?

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the CSS swivel is basically a GTI/R/S3 swivel (same casting), but just machined
to slightly different angles.
What about the void between the bearing and the strut clamping locations? Wouldn't
it be feasible using it for some kind of brake ventilation?
Yumichika, guess someone need to try them first and perform some measurements. :)

Yes, think so, too :p

Just feel worried since never heard about such transferring for the past two years. But I'm still going to have a try:D

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Are there any difference between audi bearing and stock? And I guess that the CSS swilvels should just match the stock ball joint and tie rod?

At least visually, I couldn't see any difference between the two bearings. I can only guess that the internals must be different (Audi more robust?). I didn't have any issues installing the Audi bearing.
CSS swivel does match up with stock ball joint and tie rod.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks a lot! Plan to get those bought and installed in one weeks or two, as soon as I confirm the diameter of shockers!

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
One word of caution. If you are planning to use a coilover kit, verify that the swaybar attachment on the shock body has the same dimensions as stock. The critical dimension is the distance from the shock centerline to the mounting hole center. If your coilover dimension is larger than the stock dimension, you may have issues with the swaybar endlink ball joint hitting the inside of the wheel well bodywork. This is what happened to me with the HPA SHS coilovers. For the SHS coilover, the dimension was 0.25" greater than stock, which resulted in the ball joint hitting the bodywork. And because I had installed the SHS coilovers, HPA will not accept them for refund :-((

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for your experience :(

Seems not to be a problem for my car since there is a gap inside the fender well...