GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Break-in/Run-in) "Accidentally" floored a GTI during the test drive... is that bad?

Whackamac

Ready to race!
When I went to trade in my ST, I took a test drive with the salesman. I also forewarned him that I am a hillclimb/autox racer... hee hee... Wish I had a camera.

The salesman saw my well modded ST that I pulled up in, so that should have been a warning. I asked him if he ever took a test drive with somebody that races the cars he buys. He said no.:cool:

Anyways, he took me into the nearby hills and after getting a bit used to the differences in the car (not as much power, steering different), I started to increase speed through the twisties. After we got away from traffic, I punched it through a couple sections with traction control in sport, and took a 30 turn at 60mph, etc... and blasting through it. All while relaxed and chatting up the salesman.

This salesman's face is now a different shade and appears to be holding on for dear life... :D and I decide that the GTI is a very good platform for my intentions... LMAO!

SOOO! We get back to the dealership and he asks if I would like to buy it. I told him that I didn't really like "that" ;) car as much as I thought.

But I DID tell him that I would buy the nice clean one off the showroom floor with only 9 miles on it and the lighting package...

I feel really bad for the person that bought that car. I raped her bloody.
:cool::rolleyes::D:eek:;):p:confused::cool::cool::cool: <-- essentially the whole story in smilies.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
^you're a hoot. I'm too much of a pushover to scare salesmen when i'm on a test drive with them, which is obviously shitty for my own purposes...

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
^you're a hoot. I'm too much of a pushover to scare salesmen when i'm on a test drive with them, which is obviously shitty for my own purposes...

i scared a salemen due to not really being able to drive stick... WRX test drive, it was something out of a movie.... like say, my experience was really driving stick 1 time in hs down a road for 1/16 mile and watching fast and the furious.... so yeah you know how they like slam the gas after you shift, was i used to think it was like that but its really the opposite, no need to even gas sometimes, safe to say I stalled out the gate, hit the bumper since dealer left it in first and i didn't know, stalled at a small hill, dealer guy was holding on for dear life... it was fun to drive, more room than gti, turbo is different though. glad i got what i got. god i was so nervous on the gti test drive since i didn't know how to do it, i dont think i stalled but totally babied the car. next week i bought a carbon sport grey gti from the other dealer for 500$ cheaper, no need to test drive, there was 14 miles on the car.

Also, yeah i didn't know shit about a break in period and letting the car warm up to 180degrees. I stalled out the driveway of the lot when i bought it, and stalled on a hill on the way home... after about 1 month everything was fine, car has 20k miles, clutch was fine. Once i put jb4 on it took like 6months but now clutch slips a lil so im saving for a new clutch. lol

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
Nobody post in this thread for 2 years.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'll set a calendar reminder for 2021.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you look back, this thread stopped in 2015, then resurrected in 2017, then again in 2019.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
High load, low revs is the best break-in method. Pretty much just drive normally. Try to downshift and engine brake, it sucks the rings against the cyl wall and will correctly profile the top of them