GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian Golf Retrofit paddle shifters

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Hello ,the US verison of the golf comes with paddle shifters but the canadian one does not. Does anyone know how i can possibily add paddle shifters?

returnofthemac

Chris,

Do you guys get the standard automatic transmission or the DSG one?

I know from personal experience, non paddle DSG cars can be retrofitted simply by purchasing a steering wheel with paddle's already attached.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Chris,

Do you guys get the standard automatic transmission or the DSG one?

I know from personal experience, non paddle DSG cars can be retrofitted simply by purchasing a steering wheel with paddle's already attached.

Hello i got the 6 Speed automatic tranmission , the canadian version the americian one has same engine and transmission, they just have paddles as a standard vs the canadian one that theirs not even an option.

returnofthemac

Chris/Ben,

I wont be able to give you a certain answer but if the information given is anything to go by i would assume the Canadian models get a multi function steering wheel? If so i see no reason why purchasing a MFSW with paddles and bolting it on would not work. Just bare in mind, having access to VCDS/OBD11 will be necessary to clear the fault codes that get thrown up (as you put the steering sensor out of alignment and have to remove the the airbag during the install) But once these are clear everything works as should.

Can one of you throw up a picture of your steering wheel? Just curious if its the same one as over here in the UK.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Chris/Ben,

I wont be able to give you a certain answer but if the information given is anything to go by i would assume the Canadian models get a multi function steering wheel? If so i see no reason why purchasing a MFSW with paddles and bolting it on would not work. Just bare in mind, having access to VCDS/OBD11 will be necessary to clear the fault codes that get thrown up (as you put the steering sensor out of alignment and have to remove the the airbag during the install) But once these are clear everything works as should.

Can one of you throw up a picture of your steering wheel? Just curious if its the same one as over here in the UK.
here we go

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 2,005

returnofthemac

I don't know if you can tell from this link..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...808961?hash=item28246ce841:g:eTMAAOSwImRYKyfB

That is the same steering wheel you currently have, just without the airbag. The GTI and the R come with a circular airbag, not that this should make a difference.

Have a look out on eBay for that style steering wheel with paddles, buy it and fit it. If you need help with that either ping me a message and ill explain or search the web. I'm sure there will be a guide. Just remember to torque the center bolt to spec.

I would advise making sure you purchase from someone who will accept a return, as like I said I cannot guarantee it will work for non-DSG equipped cars, but i foresee no reason why not as the signals sent from the steering wheel to the gearbox should be the same.

Mac

euroglx

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm from Canada and I've got a 2017 Golf Sportwagen 4Motion with DSG. Mine does not come with paddle shifters either, and I am thinking of retrofitting one. Main thing i have to look for is that my car does not come with ACC so i have to make sure i get the same steering wheel without ACC buttons.

I have found one that should fit from ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/piano-black-steering-wheel-with-paddles-with-cruise-control/5c0419091bme74/

Have you gone ahead and retrofitted one?

Thanks.

TSI 1.8 Alpha

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 mk7 1.8 TSI Gol
Sorry to reopen this but was always wondering why I didnt have paddle shifters. Really weird that Canada would do that. Would be nice to have them.