GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Inputs - All-Season vs. Winter for Denver Metro Area

moonluv810

Ready to race!
Hello All,

I have a '15 GTI and am looking for some inputs on the need for winter tires. I live in Broomfield and have a short commute to Louisville. My work is pretty flexible... If we get big storms, I typically just work from home. We try to hit the slopes several times a year as a family, but we take our minivan to go up the mountains.

GTI is the first front-wheel-drive "performance" vehicle for me. Previously a bimmer guy (not AWD ones) and I always had separate sets for summer and winter.

I now have Michelin PSS on aftermarket wheels for the GTI and am trying to decide whether I should get all-season or winter tires mounted on the stock wheels for this coming winter.

I think the easy answer is to get separate summer and winter sets, but I'm thinking with mostly mild winter days down here in the city, if I could get by with all-seasons. For the last 2-3 winters, we had spans of 40-50-degree days and I always wondered why I got snow tires on the car :)
I've seen people praise ExtremeContact DWS 06 for its winter performance and am leaning towards this vs. "pure" winter tires.

Any inputs and thoughts the group can share?

Thank you in advance!

Denvernoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello All,

I have a '15 GTI and am looking for some inputs on the need for winter tires. I live in Broomfield and have a short commute to Louisville. My work is pretty flexible... If we get big storms, I typically just work from home. We try to hit the slopes several times a year as a family, but we take our minivan to go up the mountains.

GTI is the first front-wheel-drive "performance" vehicle for me. Previously a bimmer guy (not AWD ones) and I always had separate sets for summer and winter.

I now have Michelin PSS on aftermarket wheels for the GTI and am trying to decide whether I should get all-season or winter tires mounted on the stock wheels for this coming winter.

I think the easy answer is to get separate summer and winter sets, but I'm thinking with mostly mild winter days down here in the city, if I could get by with all-seasons. For the last 2-3 winters, we had spans of 40-50-degree days and I always wondered why I got snow tires on the car :)
I've seen people praise ExtremeContact DWS 06 for its winter performance and am leaning towards this vs. "pure" winter tires.

Any inputs and thoughts the group can share?

Thank you in advance!

I think I saw your corresponding post on another popular forum....

I had a MKVI Golf R and ran UHP All Seasons on it the entire 3 years I had it. Most of that time was spent on Potenza
RE970AS Pole Position tires and found that in anything that amounts to much more than an inch of slush or snow, that I needed to pay VERY close attention to what was going on around me. To be frank, I probably should not have run those year-round, and a couple of mild winters doesn't make for a plan when it dumps. I sacrificed one wheel (bent beyond repair and rashed to no end) in that time due to inadequate rubber, and I would consider that lucky in many respects.

On my new R I really don't have much of a choice given what came on the car, so I will be purchasing some smaller wheels (17 if I can find ones that fit well) and dedicated winter tires. In these parts, given all of the transplants from warmer climates who really don't "get" winter driving, or physics of SUVs and braking on ice...I would err on the side of caution and make sure at least YOU have as much control as possible if a sticky situation arises.

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
I had the oem all seasons on my 15 gti and the first winter it was great. Second winter not so much. When I got the R(with summers) in late March it was pretty dicy on those few icy days we had in April. I suggest going full Winter and switching to summers when desired.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

The PSS will turn hard as a rock in the winter and provide very little traction. Get a set of winters and mount to the factory wheels if you want the most confidence. The drawback is every other day your driving on winters which sucks. A set of DWS on the stockers would be an alternative that would make daily driving tolerable but would still not have the performance of winters when it snows.

It snows so little here it pains me to think winters though.

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
I ran DWS on my MKV Gti and had no issues in the Denver Metro over 4+ winters. Like you I have a short commute, liberal work from home ability, and a bigger more capable car for winter mountain trips.
Go for the DWS and they should have no issue getting you through the normal "sloppy" winter snow days around here.

moonluv810

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the inputs!

Just to clarify, I had no intentions on running the PSS anywhere from October to April. :) Still plan on having 2 sets.

Based on everyone's inputs, I think I'm leaning towards for winter for the second set.