GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cars these days...

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So many fast cars nowadays. With the KIA stinger and that buick sedan comin, its makin stage 2 a necessity unless you wanna get slapped by a KIA lol

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The base stinger with the 2.0T puts out 255HP (not sure if crank or wheels) so a stage one GTI would stomp it. Now if you are comparing a GTI to the optional twin turbocharged V6 making 365HP, well then that is just silly.

There is also the fact that a stage two GTI costs less to buy and build then even the base stinger. Well probably anyway. I guess it depends on the market you are located in and deals you end up getting, trim levels and options as well.

Edit: I mean why build a GTI at all when you can just go buy a 911 GT3 for $143K am I rite guyz?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
He's got a point. Cars are getting so fast. The new mustang is 460hp. A 750hp corvette is coming soon. You can get a 700 and 800+hp Dodge. The horsepower wars are going crazy.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
More proof we are in the end times (for traditional cars, at least!). Like the dinosaurs, cars are reaching the peak of their evolutionary journey right before the freakin' meteor hits.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
The more things change the more they remain the same...

No different from the 60's and the golden age of muscle cars. The 60's was an era of gas price wars and gas for $0.25 a gallon. In the early 2000's there was the theory of "Peak Oil" and higher and higher oil prices. Now it appears there will be plenty of cheap oil for years to come and cheap gasoline means car enthusiasts are a growing market and car manufacturers eager to sell cars will build cars that appeal to that market.

This is simply a great time for people who love cars...

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
oh yea 100% great time for car enthusiasts. you dont need deep pockets to have an 11 second car anymore. stage 2 should be more than enough to stay relevant for a few more years. stock gti, im not too sure lol

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This argument is irrelevant on our (UK) twisty normal roads where a stock GTI will leave these for dead due to far better handling...& if you want to press home the advantage in all weathers go "R"....

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The more things change the more they remain the same...

No different from the 60's and the golden age of muscle cars. The 60's was an era of gas price wars and gas for $0.25 a gallon. In the early 2000's there was the theory of "Peak Oil" and higher and higher oil prices. Now it appears there will be plenty of cheap oil for years to come and cheap gasoline means car enthusiasts are a growing market and car manufacturers eager to sell cars will build cars that appeal to that market.

This is simply a great time for people who love cars...

I can see that, but this time, the problem isn't oil it's a complete paradigm shift. Mainstream society--that is, not enthusiasts, the majority of folks who think cars are appliances and want their time in them and engagement with them to be minimal--are already shifting their world view to eliminate cars as we know them. Right now it's mostly centered in the yuppified suburbs and urban centers on the coasts, but this attitude will spread.

We may have the oil, but market and legislative forces are likely to start constricting actual driving sooner rather than later. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but it often seems like that's the trend.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
The base Stinger is comparable (in both price and features) to a GTI SE, and a Stinger Premium is comparable to a GTI Autobahn.

airjor13

Ready to race!
I hope the Stinger gearbox is good, like ZF 8psd good, if it is man that is one hell of a car, but then again at around $40K tons of options open up new or used.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
agree with this being a golden age of cars. What is even better than the late 60's is that todays cars handle well, are reliable, and if you run into a tree it is likely you will survive.