GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer blows turbo during while car in for alignment

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the update.

I'm with you 100%, and I applaud your decision. Shared responsibility once cooler heads were in the mix. If that's true about the techs character, then the right choice was made.

Edit after seeing your post about when it happened: Seriously going on the freeway to check an alignment, AND going WOT in a customer's car? Still suspect man, but just get your car fixed and back on the road.

Agreed, glad the OP was able to work out a solution he's satisfied with.

Sucks that it snapped a shaft...damn junk ISxx turbos.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The Fed. I do have both vcds and obd11. My assumption was that it would be safe with the dealer as the tech that was working it seems very reliable. I also provide a tip via food to both the tech and service advisors.

They do not have a scan of the car. He did a mechanical inspection and left it at that for the time being. They told me if they scan, it will be flagged.

My bad. You are indeed one of the few. Now we'll all wonder if the turbo would have failed stock.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
My graph is on the MK7 international page. I’ll upload it to a host here in a few minutes and post as well.

Last time it was on the dyno (DynoDynamics, read like a Mustang dyno) it put down 361awhp. Since then the tune has been refined by one of the best and I have no doubt that the car is likely in the 380 range now. It has been running like that without issue for awhile.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Hopefully when I get the car back I can scan and see if there are any remnants of freeze frames left. My guess....no.
My guess is WOT with low RPMS and a cool engine. Stage 2 with a stack (Stg 2++) might be the limit on the stock turbo, especially considering potentially unfavorable driving conditions. Please tell me you're using this opportunity to upgrade the turbo? If not, are you going to drop the stack?

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
This is a very unfortunate story to read, but at least the dealer was willing to meet half way. Can totally understand where you are coming from H22hatch!!

Note to self, ensure there is valet mode when leaving with dealership, and have them sign a waiver of taking full responsibility if I give them any other access to the car!

H22hatch

Ready to race!
This is a very unfortunate story to read, but at least the dealer was willing to meet half way. Can totally understand where you are coming from H22hatch!!

Note to self, ensure there is valet mode when leaving with dealership, and have them sign a waiver of taking full responsibility if I give them any other access to the car!

Really I should have just flashed back to stock like the previous visits.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
My guess is WOT with low RPMS and a cool engine. Stage 2 with a stack (Stg 2++) might be the limit on the stock turbo, especially considering potentially unfavorable driving conditions. Please tell me you're using this opportunity to upgrade the turbo? If not, are you going to drop the stack?

Going to use this turbo with my stack as is. Also going to order the VTT turbo as soon as it goes on pre-sale tomorrow. That was what I was planning to do anyways had it not blown. Just unfortunate timing for me.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I think they would have covered you 100% just with a letter from an attorney

100%.
$3000 is nothing for the dealer and they would not put themselves in the position where it could potentially cost them much more $$$ and some bad publicity. But the OP is upgrading anyway, so as long as they're paying 100% labor fees it's probably not that bad of a deal, especially if he is planning on using them in the future, IMO.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I think they would have covered you 100% just with a letter from an attorney

100%.
$3000 is nothing for the dealer and they would not put themselves in the position where it could potentially cost them much more $$$ and some bad publicity. But the OP is upgrading anyway, so as long as they're paying 100% labor fees it's probably not that bad of a deal, especially if he is planning on using them in the future, IMO.

That very well may be the case. Not sure if I want to spend money on a lawyer letter right now. It’s NoVA so anything is going to be $300-$500. Not that the amount is all that much but it would require a whole lot more energy and time. Both of which I value highly.

Now if they toy around and refuse to give me my original turbo back (they said I could have it back) then that may be enough motivation.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Not a bad idea if you have jb4 to program a minus 5psi setting for valet/ servicing mode. Kind of like the Dinan

Now if they toy around and refuse to give me my original turbo back (they said I could have it back) then that may be enough motivation.

Glad it worked out for you.

Do you plan on selling the blown turbo or rebuilding?
If selling, let me know. Might be interested if price gives me room to rebuild.