GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit aftermarket wireless backup camera

jrcs1990

Hi all,

I want to install a wireless backup camera in my mk7. I saw this one: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/For-...-f697-46e9-97c2-8b89d54e88de&rmStoreLevelAB=5

I'm betting on a wireless one because I don't want to rip my car apart to pass all the wires. Is there someone that could help me with the connections?

The receiver part it's easy. 12V, GND and video connection to the headunit. It's the emitter/camera that's causing my some trouble..

I know that the reverse lamp is driven by PWM so I can't feed the emitter/camera throught that (some users in other foruns had flickering problems in the screen). Where can I get regulated 12V in the trunk to connect the camera (wish should be on since I turn the key on the car)?

My ideia was feeding the emitter throught a relay, activated with the reverse signal (but since it's a PWM signal...I don't know if I can do it).

I know my english is not very good but I hope you understand.

Regards

Joel

Ready to race!
In the USA we have a 12v socket in the hatch.
You probably have one also.

People have used this to power rear dash cameras.

jrcs1990

Joel,

When you say 12V socket you mean a cigarette like socket, right? I don't have it. If you're referring to anything else, would you mind to explain?

Thanks

Joel

Ready to race!
Yes, a cigarette lighter socket.
Too bad you don't have one.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I would recommend that you take the wired route to avoid issues down the road, is not hard at all to remove the panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Good addition if it works, seems suspicioulsly cheap though. But cheap enough to bin if no joy....

Rear views cameras are super cheap these days, I installed a back up camera on my daughter's car and still working after more than a year, if it breaks it will only cost 16 bucks to replace video quality is very decent for the price

jrcs1990

It may not be hard but since I havent found any step-by-step tutorial I was wondering if I could do it the "easy-wireless" way...

saw8414

I followed a guide on here that showed the wiring path. Actual removal of the panels was quite easy. The only part that was hard was removing the fuse box to install the new connection. I bypassed that by using a piggyback fuse and changing the fuse position of the cigarette lighter to be always on. You should be able to find my other posts to get to the thread I’m talking about.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
They do sell OEM backup cameras that would require running wires but I think you'll agree it's just nice when things work the way they're supposed to.

I drilled one in my old Prius through the metal and it died after 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I know they make back up cameras that fix to your rear plate using "theft" proof attachments. It then uses bluetooth to your phone and displays the image on it. That might be the best wireless option. That being said I don't know if the camera uses a battery, or has to be wired in. There are multiple different options as far as brands go so I won't speak to that.

dan_20vt

Hi,

Did you ever do this? I have just ordered this exact same set and want to fit it as soon as it arrives.