GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Short Shift Transmission Adapter - Boomba Racing

7MAT

First mod done to my new GTI, so easy to fit and the results are superb!

njavier03

Ready to race!
traded in my '16 S last week that had a Forge SS. after reading through the thread, i think i'll give this a go for my '17 SE. any upcoming promos for Black Friday? i'd hate to order now, and a discount code comes out in a few days.

Boomba Racing

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
traded in my '16 S last week that had a Forge SS. after reading through the thread, i think i'll give this a go for my '17 SE. any upcoming promos for Black Friday? i'd hate to order now, and a discount code comes out in a few days.

Thank you for considering us, we are planning on running a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale soon.

srexy

Passed Driver's Ed
I am one of those people that manage to occasionally throw my GTI into reverse when trying to shift quickly into first (usually at a light with cars behind alas!).

Does this short shifter in any way impact the reverse selection?

njavier03

Ready to race!
I am one of those people that manage to occasionally throw my GTI into reverse when trying to shift quickly into first (usually at a light with cars behind alas!).

Does this short shifter in any way impact the reverse selection?

Uhhh...how? You’re probably pushing down too much on the knob, and that can cause an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin398

Ready to race!
just wanted to post as another happy customer. such a simple install and a world of difference made in shift throw. i can't imagine going back to stock throw.

srexy

Passed Driver's Ed
Uhhh...how? You’re probably pushing down too much on the knob, and that can cause an accident.

Sitting at light then realizing it's turned green so shifting hurriedly into first - basically pushing down and forward which is enough to engage reverse. It's happened 2-3 times and is really unnerving.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Sitting at light then realizing it's turned green so shifting hurriedly into first - basically pushing down and forward which is enough to engage reverse. It's happened 2-3 times and is really unnerving.

Gotta be careful. Idc if the car behind me honks. I always make sure I’m firmly in gear before rolling off. I also check the adjacent lights, so I know when the light is about to change.

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed
just received my short shifter kit and shift knob today, installed and drove around. The throw is much shorter and precise, however I feel that I need to put more force to put it in gear, is that normal?

Boomba Racing

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
just received my short shifter kit and shift knob today, installed and drove around. The throw is much shorter and precise, however I feel that I need to put more force to put it in gear, is that normal?

When making the throw of your shifter shorter, it is normal for there to be a little more resistance when going into gear. However, this can usually be offset when adding one of our weighted shift knobs.

nellborg

Just got a GTI. Wonderfully fun to drive! Stock shifter is a bit imprecise and lacks feel - I wish it felt more precise and notch-ier.

I'm interested in this BOOMBA combo, but it seems to me that lowering the height of the gear shifter would be counter-productive. Don't you want that couple of inches of extra height for added leverage? Lowering the stick and adding a weighted knob doesn't seem like it would be as slick as adding a weighted knob but leaving it at stock height.

What am I missing here?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Just got a GTI. Wonderfully fun to drive! Stock shifter is a bit imprecise and lacks feel - I wish it felt more precise and notch-ier.

I'm interested in this BOOMBA combo, but it seems to me that lowering the height of the gear shifter would be counter-productive. Don't you want that couple of inches of extra height for added leverage? Lowering the stick and adding a weighted knob doesn't seem like it would be as slick as adding a weighted knob but leaving it at stock height.

What am I missing here?

For how a shifter works, the leverage you speak of does not become reduced by lowering the height an inch or so. In fact, it seems you have more leverage afterwards because of the reduced travel. The real downfall of these cars is the hollow shift knob. This makes you feel the terrible bracket set up even more, making it notchy, imprecise and long/slow. I would get a knob first, and then if it still is not suitable the boomba bracket is a great alt. to those not wanting to switch entire shifters.

Scrodee

Ready to race!
I have had the adapter on my car for at least 15k miles now. (I DD about 80-90 miles.) I haven't noticed any obvious differences over time. I still like the product.

I have an oil change coming up in a week or two; I'll pull the air box and have a look, maybe take some pictures and post here.

No noticeable wear after 15k miles. Still very happy with the adapter (and the knob).
I did lose a retainer thingy while inspecting, anyone know what they’re really called (or a part number) and where to grab one?