GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Is there any concern that these cheaper intercoolers could develop leaks, or otherwise fail? I would hate to deal with this install just to have to do it (or more likely, pay for it) all over again.

Main concern is usually quality control. On previous cars, the ebay parts can be pretty decent, but still vary wildly depending on who the seller was, when you purchased, etc. It's kinda of luck of the draw. You should always due your due diligence to inspect the welds when the unit arrives, and possibly even give it a pressure test if you have the capability.

As oblivious stated, forum won't know for sure till we get a large sample size of a few dozen owners trying them out.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
They keep playing with the pricing on eBay. I think 300-320 range scares people. But, at 370-400 they may get more orders. All marketing and perception. I would not say a 900 Wagner is 3x the intercooler. :).

I'd pay more to support a company that develops products rather than one that is merely copying original designs.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
I'd pay more to support a company that develops products rather than one that is merely copying original designs.

Im absolutely for supporting product development, but come on man. You could argue everyone has been copying apr since they released their mk5 intercooler. Its an improved direct replacement part. The concept has been around in the motorsports world for decades.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

pieguy

Ready to race!
Finally got the magic/majesty eBay intercooler installed with help from Joseph Oneperfectdose. Need some filling of the radiator clips and some screws to keep the AC condenser in place. After testing at 64 F its holding at 75 F at WOT. Stage 2 e30 from 5150 on a GTI with CTS DP. Overall super pleased. Install 3.5 hours and $320 shipped.

Won't be able to do logs for a while. Hard to get a straight clear road in the city.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pieguy

Ready to race!
Yep hoses and clamps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Yep, it is a beast! Glad I’m no longer the only one that recognizes the value in the Magic. 320 shipped with hoses is top value in IC’s period.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Holding 11 degrees over ambient on stage 2 is pretty good btw. A few other 2x the price “brand name” are not that good. Lol.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Im absolutely for supporting product development, but come on man. You could argue everyone has been copying apr since they released their mk5 intercooler. Its an improved direct replacement part. The concept has been around in the motorsports world for decades.

I disagree, the blatant copying that Chinese companies have become notorious for with car parts (and other items) did not become widespread until about the last decade.

There is a difference between multiple vendors developing the same product with their own designs and a company taking an existing vendor product and bypassing their own development phase and simply copying it to sell with a different product name.

Makes you wonder if the name vendors such as Wagner and APR factor into their pricing the Chinese copycat products entering the market and undercutting their sales.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Actually the Magic does not copy any current IC exactly. It looks like a Wagner, but the Magic is bar and plate versus tube and fin on Waggy. Plus it is dimensions and volume does not match other intercoolers as shown in IC chart.

athos56

Ready to race!
I'm an Historian/teacher, and the Chinese were not the first to do this. We could have had this conversation as Englishmen complaining about those American's stealing the designs of our textile machinery. One of many examples. Capitalism at work! Keep costs low, sell high! If you can't compete you die! Solution? Either fight to pay our workers less, use lower quality materials, or fight to increase the pay of Chinese workers.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I'm an Historian/teacher, and the Chinese were not the first to do this. We could have had this conversation as Englishmen complaining about those American's stealing the designs of our textile machinery. One of many examples. Capitalism at work! Keep costs low, sell high! If you can't compete you die! Solution? Either fight to pay our workers less, use lower quality materials, or fight to increase the pay of Chinese workers.

Right On. For those folks that feel sorry for those “brand names” making easy 2-3x mark up (most are made in China anyway) on their intercoolers keep paying for those overpriced items. It is your money. Lot’s of kid’s put themselves in financial ruin over this hobby anyway. Lol.