GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Vibration / Wobble

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

Experiencing a slight vibration on my GTI.
Had the wheels redone, balancing redone, alignment etc.

There is very slight vibration / wobble like feeling which is generally felt over 90km/h, but most pronounced when on the power between 130km/h and 145 km/h.

I do need to replace brake disks and pads, light is on atm and get a vibration when applying the brakes.
Could this be linked to the slight vibration / wobble being felt, or perhaps something else?

One local VW techie advised me that maybe it is the drive shaft.

Any help will be appreciated.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Could be a simple warped or cracked disc, I would get them changed first as they need doing and see it the vibration disappears before worrying about it

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
If you're feeling it off the brakes then it's not the rotors (or first I would have heard of this being the case). My guess is possibly a wheel bearing. I know others have had issues and had to have them replaced.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're feeling it off the brakes then it's not the rotors (or first I would have heard of this being the case). My guess is possibly a wheel bearing. I know others have had issues and had to have them replaced.

Yes it is def there off the brake and off the throttle, but much more pronounced at the 130 - 140 km/h range.

Will book the car in and ask them to check the bearings.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Had the brakes replaces all around, the wobble / vibration has gotten considerably better.
Dealer told me my tires are gone out of shape, which maybe causing the remaining vibration. Will be changing them in a few months, so will see from there.
When the wheels are on the machine, will be able to check them for roundness with and without the tires on.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Further Update
Car felt much more smoother in general driving, but at high speed braking I get a vibration through the entire car. Not through the steering.
This was present prior to replacing brakes, and I put it down to warped rotors.
But with new rotors and pads, this was now concerning.

Started with removing the ECS Spacers, and after 1 day of driving, seems like all the vibration from high speed braking has gone.
Offcourse I need to test more, but it seems maybe the spacers are warped or damaged in some way. Visually inspected them and they seem ok, but could still be damaged and not noticable through visual inspection.

Will test more, and hoping that it maybe was the spacers.

armedferret

Ready to race!
You're not the first person to have that issue with ECS spacers, and you'll likely be told by ecs you didn't install them properly to absolve them of any responsibility. Par for those guys.

zoominms3

Ready to race!
Further Update
Car felt much more smoother in general driving, but at high speed braking I get a vibration through the entire car. Not through the steering.

Started with removing the ECS Spacers, and after 1 day of driving, seems like all the vibration from high speed braking has gone.
Offcourse I need to test more, but it seems maybe the spacers are warped or damaged in some way. Visually inspected them and they seem ok, but could still be damaged and not noticable through visual inspection.

ECS spacers should have been in the first post :rolleyes: looks like you found the culprit. Notorious for causing issues..

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
ECS spacers should have been in the first post :rolleyes: looks like you found the culprit. Notorious for causing issues..

I really hope so, need to bed the brakes now.
Did about 500km, once that is done, will be able to tell with certainty.

I forgot to check the hubs when removing the spacers for any rust / debris,so maybe will do that before the bed in procedure.
Will it be fine to give the hub an extremely light once over sand to ensure the mating surface is clean?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

shitttt, i have ECS spacers and my car has a very slight vibration. Like, to the point that it's been like this for over 10K miles and it hasn't driven me crazy, it's not felt through the steering wheel. it's just a minor vibration at highway speeds that is only noticeable if you're actively paying attention to it.

Good to know that these could be the culprit. and it's funny, because I had a negative experience with wheels that don't have a 57.1 hub bore before I chose to return to an OEM wheel + spacers. I will now definitely be getting a set of 8.5 ET45's in the spring when it's time to purchase my summer setup.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Further Update

You never mentioned that in your first post, sort of a big omission not to mention this non-stock item. :rolleyes:

Glad you got you sorted out.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
You never mentioned that in your first post, sort of a big omission not to mention this non-stock item. :rolleyes:

Glad you got you sorted out.

Yes, Didnt mention it as I would never have suspected that to be the issue.
Have not driven the car extensively to know if removing the spacers have solved the issue.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to report back, removed the spacers, problem became about 20% less.
But it was still very much there.
After about a month or two, hit a nasty pothole and cracked one wheel. I then changed tyres and wheels and the problem was gone.
So dont really know if it was tyres or wheels, but definately one of those two were the problem.