GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel/tire conundrum

Lert

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I got my MK7 sport this summer and now with winter approaching/here in Ohio I planned to get some snow tires and wheels. After looking around I was thinking of getting some light weight wheels as my reg season and using my stock nogaros with winter tires. So what I was thinking was O.Z. alleggerita or ultraleggera, or enkei rpf1 or pf01 with bfgoodrich g-force comp tires (non winter of course. Thoughts, recommendations, opinions?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Generally I'm in favor of downsizing for winter, since more sidewall is helpful in absorbing the impact energy of the pothole you will inevitably drive into. Oh wait, you live down south where they actually maintain the roadways... Since the -1 17" tire is the same 225mm width as the OEM tire, you won't gain a traction advantage by going down a size.

As far as your summer setup, all of those are fine wheels, but I'd spend a little extra on a set of Michelin PSS instead of the BFG. Assuming that you're using your car for daily transportation, you'll find the Michelins much easier to live with.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
I’m also thinking of almost the exact set up but looking at trying the Firestone Indy 500. Talked to few people at tire shops (not even a brand they sell) and they say they are incredibly sticky and for the $& well worth it to give them a try. I’ve had Michelin and Nitto on rear wheel drive car and both didn’t last all that long.
Now if I could just make up my mind on a set of wheels ?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I run Indy 500s and love them.

Probably picking up cheap steel wheels with snow tires for $150 from a buddy at work for our 2 months of "winter" down here.

Eventually I'd like to replace my Austins with something lighter. Leaning towards Neuspeed because they're Flow formed and a available in sizes/offsets and colors that match our cars perfectly

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Well I got my MK7 sport this summer and now with winter approaching/here in Ohio I planned to get some snow tires and wheels. After looking around I was thinking of getting some light weight wheels as my reg season and using my stock nogaros with winter tires. So what I was thinking was O.Z. alleggerita or ultraleggera, or enkei rpf1 or pf01 with bfgoodrich g-force comp tires (non winter of course. Thoughts, recommendations, opinions?

I use stock Austin's in winter.
If you buy wheels get 18x8.
Use 235/40R18 rubber.
The 235 is a perfect tire for GTI.
A Little more SW. Good for bumps.
Also wide width looks good.

Go OZ.

Lert

Passed Driver's Ed
To everyone really, I figure I already have the stocks so why get cheap winter wheels, not like i'm going to drive fast in winter anyways. Was planning on 18x8 with 235 tires, still cautious about summer wheels never ran them and I like to maintain my wet traction as well as not getting huge loss as it gets colder before I switch back to winters. But... I do want a sticky wheel because lets be real the whole reason i'm doing this is for more acceleration and back road fun and stock wheel/tire is ok at best for that imo. Anybody want to buy my stock tires for cheap 2.5k miles haha.