GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of Ed's MK7 Headlight replicas

ryohei47

Ready to race!
They jitter. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it besides putting a Halogen bulb in them, making the jittering less noticeable.

That's unfortunate. The halogen bulbs don't have the greatest brightness and if I get 6000k bulbs to match the LED U then it is reduced even further.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
They jitter. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it besides putting a Halogen bulb in them, making the jittering less noticeable.

How bad is this jitter? Makes me think twice about dropping $700+ on these and just live with the halogens.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
How bad is this jitter? Makes me think twice about dropping $700+ on these and just live with the halogens.

It's just very noticeable, while driving. These projectors are E-Code, which means they have a very clean cut beam pattern so when you hit any road imperfections.. the beam goes up and down a bunch. Part of the issue is also because these don't have any leveling motors like the OEM units do.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I get a light out error like 80 percent of the time when my switch is left on auto but if I turn the light on after the car is on i never get the error. Very weird and don't know what's wrong. Any ideas? Pretty much has been that way since I got them. For a year now.

Same thing with auto lights happens to me, headlight bulb out and drl bulb out.
Not sure if it’s due to xenon kit. Which one do you have? Mine is Morimoto

cb61

Passed Driver's Ed

Same thing for me. Another issue... I had also condensation in both lights. Contacted Ed and everything was as expected so I still have condensation time to time, even if I tried to reseal the lights with silicone. Mine are 2 years old only :mad:

kcmkvii

I have the Morimoto kit and the low beam error happens when the lights are on due to unlocking the vehicle, then the error happens when starting the car.
I'm guessing starting drops the voltage on the headlights to a point where the ballast kicks off for a second, but i have not yet messed with any VCDS options to try to eliminate/troubleshoot it.

houston88

I have the hylux ballast kit and no errors so far, my headlight switch is on auto.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Those who have been getting the errors, have you all tried modifying the leuchte6 and leuchte7 lasttyp codes? Set leuchte 6 and leuchte7 lasttyp to: "3 - xenon abblendlicht" Should help mitigate low volt issues that might trigger beam out code. You can also do the same to the DRL settings (Leuchte 5 and leuchte4) and change them to LED (can't remember number off top of head).

houston88

So far so good on my Golf W, enjoying the better light output of the HIDs. I can't believe the lighting package was not an option when I bought the car, but oh well, it's been fun to tinker. I also retrofitted fog lights and used led bulbs in there to match the temp of the led halos.

kcmkvii

Those who have been getting the errors, have you all tried modifying the leuchte6 and leuchte7 lasttyp codes? Set leuchte 6 and leuchte7 lasttyp to: "3 - xenon abblendlicht" Should help mitigate low volt issues that might trigger beam out code. You can also do the same to the DRL settings (Leuchte 5 and leuchte4) and change them to LED (can't remember number off top of head).

Thanks for this.

I had been meaning to go through the lasttyp codes for the low beams in a similar fashion, as I had done a similar change for license plate LED's recently. due to a lack of documentation and so many people going out and buying different HID kits, I was hesitant but this worked flawlessly.
After a few days of this new setting, I can confirm that the low beams (Morimoto ballasts) go on with an unlock at night and the engine start procedure does not affect their voltage when the headlight switch is set to auto. Thanks again.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!

I tried this today and received a general lighting error on the MIB + incorrect coding values error from the BCM.

Can anyone confirm that they have done this change with aftermarket ballasts?